Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Pies don't have a first, and they wouldn't give it up for Keane if they did, anyway
2) can we not give up on Curtin so easily? I'm not even thinking about dealing a talent like him right now
3) getting a few midfielders in this draft at the expense of our starting CHB, and a top 10 pick with a year extra development under his belt, isn't going to help a flag push in the next 3 seasons (though I do want one to go with Welsh this year)

While I agree we should not give up on Curtin, not sure where his best position will be and if we can make him the player we expect him to be. Not sure he makes it as a midfielder, but position maybe third tall but I like Worrell in that role. Worrell is great at the role and is flexible due to his height.
It’s annoying that every time a tall player shows some form I’m the midfield, everyone thinks he will be the next Cripps, not many get close to that level though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does that include a God Father offers for English which is the obvious area we can make immediate improvement if we see Thilthorpe as a KPF? It will be a much improved ruck with English instead of ROB with a very good backline, now an A grade midfield with Dawson, Rankine, Soligo and Rachele (still need Pedlar to step up) and Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Welsh in the forward line with Rankine or Rachele resting forward.
I like your thinking here, however the strong news is English is practically a weagle already

We’ve dodged bullets in offering up big money and picks for Oliver and Petty. Reid hasn’t learnt his lesson, it’s dangerous having this much cap space with him at the helm. The risk is too high with his shocking injury history and age.

Pay for Hayward to come home, proven goal kicker
Reid and Hamish have proven to be pretty good at finding bargains later in the draft but I think it's dangerous having a wallet full of money and either of them in charge of spending it

Perhaps that’s the reason for our unrelenting strive towards the middle?
We seem to be exactly where we aim to be or just short of it. It's very well known that the mindset in the boardroom is to make finals. Our goals are to low, our bar should be to win finals games as a minimum, our culture from the top down is toxic and mediocre, competing to make finals is their aim so that the CUSTOMERS keep buying memberships and as Roo said if you don't like it go barrack for another club. As much as I despise seeing my club fall apart over the last 10 to 15 years I can't stop supporting them and Roo the smart arse knows that. What he's not taking into account however is that young kids will look to follow clubs that are successful and ooze great winning culture, AFC will lose new members if the boys club isn't disbanded and a new professional approach is taken.

The recent increase of Soligo and Rankine’s CBAs gives me a slither of hope we’ll see a phasing out of Laird (and maybe Crouch, but I’d be happy to keep him around) by next year

But yeah, given Nicks’ general track record, I’m not holding out too much hope
Laird and Crouch both had around mid 60% TOG last match, it's pretty obvious that nicks is trying to phase them out but lacks the courage to rip the bandaid off as he is protecting his job. It will take a miracle to make finals from here so my hope is we spend the rest of this season getting games into the kids and working on our football, not purely shapes and structures. Laird needs to be told he can be an important person in our backline or seek a trade to another club if he wants to keep sooking. Retire Smith or play him as a hff preferably not at all. Most importantly pay out nicksys contract and go hard for Nathan Buckley... all my opinion only but I guess the club have it under control 😉

Look, if there is any truth to the rumor Keane may want to head to Collingwood, I'd rather cut a deal at the end of this year with an eye on making the deal work for us by involving a 3rd club to try and grab a player we want and a balance of picks to make it work out. Spitballing, maybe a Jack Lukosius if we can involve our F1 and some collingwood draft collateral??
Yeah, if he really wants to go then we need to push Collingwood for something around a 2nd rounder.

Ask to swap him for Fin Macrae :D

Which suggests that our key problem is in developing our youngsters, rather than talent identification/recruitment.
John C Reilly Yes GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's interesting. I've been back to Melbourne a few times this year, and I thought the place was really buzzing.

Yes, on the surface that may seem so - Particularly if you come to the city when a big event is on or you want to go to something specific.

The reality is Melbourne USED to be the most liveable city but sadly it isn't any more.

I'll leave it there for this thread, but if want to no more of my specific points in detail I'll do it in the 'Politics' thread at some point.

Laird and Crouch both had around mid 60% TOG last match, it's pretty obvious that nicks is trying to phase them out but lacks the courage to rip the bandaid off as he is protecting his job. It will take a miracle to make finals from here so my hope is we spend the rest of this season getting games into the kids and working on our football, not purely shapes and structures. Laird needs to be told he can be an important person in our backline or seek a trade to another club if he wants to keep sooking. Retire Smith or play him as a hff preferably not at all. Most importantly pay out nicksys contract and go hard for Nathan Buckley... all my opinion only but I guess the club have it under control 😉
He already protected his job, he got a nice little 2 year contract extension. At this point I don't know if it's about protecting his job or just lacking the vision or imagination to try something different. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or in this case, when it is broke, still don't fix it.

If we're going to miss finals anyway, which seems likely, I hope we just get it over with early and drop enough games to make it a mathematical impossibility sooner rather than clinging on until late in the season. Maybe when there's nothing to lose he'll be more willing to try some different things in terms of selections, positions, etc.

He already protected his job, he got a nice little 2 year contract extension. At this point I don't know if it's about protecting his job or just lacking the vision or imagination to try something different. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or in this case, when it is broke, still don't fix it.

If we're going to miss finals anyway, which seems likely, I hope we just get it over with early and drop enough games to make it a mathematical impossibility sooner rather than clinging on until late in the season. Maybe when there's nothing to lose he'll be more willing to try some different things in terms of selections, positions, etc.
Nicks is the sort of coach who can be given a good idea and he'll keep going back to something that won't work.

Rankine in the midfield, he fought it. Nankervis in the best 22, he fought it, Worrell in the best 22 he fought it. Obvious moves open up and he has to be dragged to implementing them full time.

Nicks is the sort of coach who can be given a good idea and he'll keep going back to something that won't work.

Rankine in the midfield, he fought it. Nankervis in the best 22, he fought it, Worrell in the best 22 he fought it. Obvious moves open up and he has to be dragged to implementing them full time.

Dawson to midfield too wasn't even Nicks' idea... :drunk:

I grew up in Adelaide (and went to the Crows first ever game) - Now live in Melbourne but strongly considering moving back to Adelaide in the next few years.

Outside of major events - Melbourne is a total sh*tshow. Covid/Lockdowns pretty much destroyed Melbourne's soul amongst many other things.

Melbourne has rallied (pun intended) very well since the dark ages of 2020-21.

It's great, you say 'outside of major events' but that's the thing - there always is one.

Crouch had to cop his time in the SANFL time for Lairds turn... Crouch younger and performing better atm.

Dawson to the midfield had to be instigated by Dawson. That should have been a massive red flag to the club admin.

Dawson to the midfield had to be instigated by Dawson. That should have been a massive red flag to the club admin.
"Ooooh! He listens to the players! There's a real, genuine back-and-forth exchange of ideas! What a great listener! What a great, collaborative coaching style! Quick, sign him up! 2 year extension!"

Apparently was said on one of the Fox footy shows last night (Midweek Tackle maybe?) that Yeo would prefer to stay in Perth

Makes sense, apparently he’s going to be a father soon

Seems like it’s definitely a $$$ play from Colin Young
Good, would be ridiculously short sighted of us to get him. Even if he wasn't very injury prone

Not a rumour as such but I saw Mark Keane today in the city near Gawler Place during lunch time walking with someone dressed up in a suit. Interesting considering Theo’s report yesterday but I couldn’t recognise who he was with.
Cool. I was near Gawler Place in a suit, maybe it was me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back