Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawson to the midfield had to be instigated by Dawson. That should have been a massive red flag to the club admin.

It was funny when I think it was Dawson initially said this clearly, then the club realized it made the coach look bad so they had to backtrack

He already protected his job, he got a nice little 2 year contract extension. At this point I don't know if it's about protecting his job or just lacking the vision or imagination to try something different. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or in this case, when it is broke, still don't fix it.

If we're going to miss finals anyway, which seems likely, I hope we just get it over with early and drop enough games to make it a mathematical impossibility sooner rather than clinging on until late in the season. Maybe when there's nothing to lose he'll be more willing to try some different things in terms of selections, positions, etc.
Given he has the safety of a 2 year deal (and no, he's not getting sacked any time soon), he may as well try some different things for the rest of this year. We aren't making finals, and if we don't plan for the future, we'll cost ourselves finals next year too.
To be fair, he has increased the CBAs of soligo and rankine, and both moves have worked (not surprisingly). More of this way of thinking please. Try some other things, see what works, use those things next year.
Do something different when we are in front by less than a goal with 5 mins to go as well, the strategy seems to be chip it around, which never ever works hence our record in close games. If we won half of the close games, we would have made finals last year, and would be on the edge of the 8 this year too.
Key selection decisions, like soligo sub Rd 1, playing 1 KPD a few times last year, picking plodders like McHenry and cooked players like Smith, use of the sub in general, are really costing us games though, but Nicks seems to want to double down and keep doing it. These things must change
the simpsons adult GIF

His manager has called in a favour from Rhino. There’s no way our interest is real, even at a discount

He’s injured, unreliable, too old and doesn’t fit any timeline we have
So much this, it is frankly completely unbelievable, even for us.

Given he has the safety of a 2 year deal (and no, he's not getting sacked any time soon), he may as well try some different things for the rest of this year. We aren't making finals, and if we don't plan for the future, we'll cost ourselves finals next year too.
To be fair, he has increased the CBAs of soligo and rankine, and both moves have worked (not surprisingly). More of this way of thinking please. Try some other things, see what works, use those things next year.
Do something different when we are in front by less than a goal with 5 mins to go as well, the strategy seems to be chip it around, which never ever works hence our record in close games. If we won half of the close games, we would have made finals last year, and would be on the edge of the 8 this year too.
Key selection decisions, like soligo sub Rd 1, playing 1 KPD a few times last year, picking plodders like McHenry and cooked players like Smith, use of the sub in general, are really costing us games though, but Nicks seems to want to double down and keep doing it. These things must change
the simpsons adult GIF
If he takes that advice to heart and bloods a number of youngsters for the rest of this year, its going to not just expose the kids to see if they have AFL in them, but it will give him more credits in the bank wit the supporter base who have been crying out for the Dowlings, Taylor's etc to get their chance...and the upside is that if the kids are good, it might just solve a position or two in the team going forward and set us up nicely for next year.

There are many upsides for nicks to play youth from here and phase out some of the seniors.

Which suggests that our key problem is in developing our youngsters, rather than talent identification/recruitment.
Drafting was definitely a problem 2015-2019ish, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that development is also a problem, and one that hasn't been rectified (as drafting since 2020ish has been ok).
It's not out of the question that with better development some of our draft busts could've actually been turned into decent players

We seem to be exactly where we aim to be or just short of it. It's very well known that the mindset in the boardroom is to make finals. Our goals are to low, our bar should be to win finals games as a minimum, our culture from the top down is toxic and mediocre, competing to make finals is their aim so that the CUSTOMERS keep buying memberships and as Roo said if you don't like it go barrack for another club. As much as I despise seeing my club fall apart over the last 10 to 15 years I can't stop supporting them and Roo the smart arse knows that. What he's not taking into account however is that young kids will look to follow clubs that are successful and ooze great winning culture, AFC will lose new members if the boys club isn't disbanded and a new professional approach is taken.

I'm starting to disagree with this. I think the great clubs of the AFL - Sydney, Geelong - aim to always remain strong and competitive, and never bottom out. I think that's maybe the best actual strategy for a club.

Rebuilding is a mug's game, and takes a decade. If you stay competitive, then it only takes one year where things go your way for you to pinch a flag. Most recent premiers were good sides, but they weren't necessarily the stand out obvious number one team.

If we were an actual good side this year, we could consider ourselves in the running for the flag - because every side other than Sydney is about the same.

I'm starting to disagree with this. I think the great clubs of the AFL - Sydney, Geelong - aim to always remain strong and competitive, and never bottom out. I think that's maybe the best actual strategy for a club.

Rebuilding is a mug's game, and takes a decade. If you stay competitive, then it only takes one year where things go your way for you to pinch a flag. Most recent premiers were good sides, but they weren't necessarily the stand out obvious number one team.

If we were an actual good side this year, we could consider ourselves in the running for the flag - because every side other than Sydney is about the same.

Let's pick an arbitrary year such as 2009 - the past 15yrs, nice round number.

"have never bottomed out"
Sydney - 1 flag, 3 runners up
Geelong - 3 flags, 1 runner up

"have definitely bottomed out" (have finished in the bottom four in the years prior)
Hawthorn - 3 flags
Melbourne - 1 flag
Richmond - 3 flags
West Coast - 1 flag, 1 runner up

Turns out clubs that bottom out not only win flags, they barely lose them either

"have definitely bottomed out" (have finished in the bottom four in the years prior)
Hawthorn - 3 flags
Melbourne - 1 flag
Richmond - 3 flags

Turns out clubs that bottom out not only win flags, they barely lose them either
What really stands out is how well resourced the football departments of those clubs are. Coaching in particular.

Look at the coaching groups for clubs like Collingwood and Sydney compared to ours. Ours looks like a state league club in comparison.

What really stands out is how well resourced the football departments of those clubs are. Coaching in particular.

Look at the coaching groups for clubs like Collingwood and Sydney compared to ours. Ours looks like a state league club in comparison.
Its a bit like if you had me writing a screenplay to be acted by Sir Anthony Hopkins. Sure he will do his best with what he's given based upon his innate talent, but lets not pretend that me writing the screenplay is going to help engender a memorable movie.

Likewise, if we have a budget coaching line-up feeding lines to our players, we can't expect to see a premiership performance.

I like your thinking here, however the strong news is English is practically a weagle already

I don’t get the hype on Rachele seriously, he had a great first up game when no one new him but really he is great at having no idea who is near him when he has the ball . Totally no awareness of those around him .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he takes that advice to heart and bloods a number of youngsters for the rest of this year, its going to not just expose the kids to see if they have AFL in them, but it will give him more credits in the bank wit the supporter base who have been crying out for the Dowlings, Taylor's etc to get their chance...and the upside is that if the kids are good, it might just solve a position or two in the team going forward and set us up nicely for next year.

There are many upsides for nicks to play youth from here and phase out some of the seniors.
If next year is a make or break year for him too then it's in his best interests to get guys some experience now and ready for 2025. Give a run of games to those blokes, see where they're at, what they need to spend a PS improving and go from there.

I also don't actually think dropping the bottom 4-6 players currently in our best 22 would make a huge difference to our fortunes either. The one problem is that involve dropping some experience and that is one of the things Nicks seems to absolutely refuse to consider as being an option.

Its a bit like if you had me writing a screenplay to be acted by Sir Anthony Hopkins. Sure he will do his best with what he's given based upon his innate talent, but lets not pretend that me writing the screenplay is going to help engender a memorable movie.

Likewise, if we have a budget coaching line-up feeding lines to our players, we can't expect to see a premiership performance.

If your posting is anything to go buy, I reckon your screenplay would be a hoot

Hopkins playing Slippery Pete works too IMO

Hawthorn - 3 flags
Melbourne - 1 flag
Richmond - 3 flags

Sydney also a bit of an unfair comparison, for years they had the COLA (can't remember if they still do) but also have access to their academies.

Geelong had a stretch of amazing father sons that established a winning culture that permeates through the club today. Before that they had a stretch of 12th, 11th, 5th, 12th, 9th, 12th does that constitute as bottoming out?

I don’t get the hype on Rachele seriously, he had a great first up game when no one new him but really he is great at having no idea who is near him when he has the ball . Totally no awareness of those around him .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What so you don’t like the idea that he is above average in most major stats in his career to date including score involvements?

You understand the position he plays, half forward flank, is one of the hardest to play?

Or would you rather McHenry or Murphy?

Collingwood don't currently hold a 1st round pick,

The cynic in me wonders why the current AFL player movement manager and former Collingwood list boss Ned Guy (the genius architect of the Beams deal costing two first round draft picks, and the trading of Treloar, pick 26 and 42 for pick 14) would be rushing through new rules to allow trading of multiple season future draft picks in the very season Collingwood's draft capital is what Paddy shot at.
Gee, what a surprise, Bulldogs Essendon and Geelong will also be the beneficiaries of this new deal as they have low draft capital this year.....
Go the good old VFL!!!

The cynic in me wonders why the current AFL player movement manager and former Collingwood list boss Ned Guy (the genius architect of the Beams deal costing two first round draft picks, and the trading of Treloar, pick 26 and 42 for pick 14) would be rushing through new rules to allow trading of multiple season future draft picks in the very season Collingwood's draft capital is what Paddy shot at.
Gee, what a surprise, Bulldogs Essendon and Geelong will also be the beneficiaries of this new deal as they have low draft capital this year.....
Go the good old VFL!!!

To be honest not gonna complain about Collingwood or Geelong mortgaging their future for one more flag just before Tassie comes in.

Pies would come out of it better than the Cats though.

If only we had the management experience of Sydney and Geelong I would be in complete agreement with you, however we are very far away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back