• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
After a pretty successful World Cup, the tournament moves to India for the inaugural Womens Premier League. 5 teams playing round robin and from that they have the playoffs. Top 3 make the playoffs.One rule that I like is the composition of the first XI:
  • A team will be allowed to have a maximum of five overseas players, four of whom may come from Full Member nations and the fifth from an Associate Member nation.

Below are the squads:

WPL 2023 squad: Full team lists for each Women’s Premier League side​

Delhi Capitals: Meg Lanning, Alice Capsey, Shikha Pandey, Jess Jonassen, Laura Harris, Radha Yadav, Minnu Mani, Taniya Bhatia, Poonam Yadav, Sneha Deepthi, Arundhati Reddy, Titas Sadhu, Jasia Akhter, Tara Norris, Aparna Mondal, Jemimah Rodrigues, Shafali Verma, Marizanne Kapp

Gujarat Giants: Ash Gardner, Sneh Rana, Beth Mooney, Georgia Wareham, Annabel Sutherland, Sophia Dunkley, Deandra Dottin, Hurley Gala, Sushma Verma, Tanuja Kanwar, Harleen Deol, Ashwani Kumari, S Meghana, Mansi Joshi, D Hemalatha, Monica Patel, Parunika Sisodia, Shabnam Shakil

Mumbai Indians: Harmanpreet Kaur (c), Amanjot Kaur, Hayley Matthews, Heather Graham, Issy Wong, Chloe Tryon, Priyanka Bala, Dhara Gujjar, Saika Ishaque, Humairaa Kaazi, Sonam Yadav, Jintimani Kalita, Neelam Bisht, Nat Sciver-Brunt, Pooja Vastrakar, Yastika Bhatia, Amelia Kerr

Royal Challengers Bangalore: Smriti Mandhana (c), Sophie Devine, Heather Knight, Megan Schutt, Kanika Ahuja, Erin Burns, Dane van Niekerk, Preeti Bose, Komal Zanzad, Disha Kasat, Indrani Roy, Shreyanka Patil, Asha Shobana, Poonam Khemnar, Sahana Pawar, Richa Ghosh, Ellyse Perry, Renuka Singh

Up Warriorz: Alyssa Healy (c), Deepti Sharma (vc), Grace Harris, Anjali Sarvani, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Shweta Sehrawat, Kiran Navgire, Lauren Bell, Parshavi Chopra, S Yashasri, Laxmi Yadav, Simran Shaikh, Sophie Ecclestone, Tahlia McGrath, Devika Vaidya, Shabnim Ismail

All times local (GMT+5.5)

Saturday, March 4: Gujarat Giants v Mumbai Indians (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Sunday, March 5: Royal Challengers Bangalore v Delhi Capitals (Brabourne, 3.30pm); UP Warriorz v Gujarat Giants (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Monday, March 6: Mumbai Indians v Royal Challengers Bangalore (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

Tuesday, March 7: Delhi Capitals v UP Warriorz (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Wednesday, March 8: Gujarat Giants v Royal Challengers Bangalore (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

Thursday, March 9: Delhi Capitals v Mumbai Indians (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Friday, March 10: Royal Challengers Bangalore v UP Warriorz (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

Saturday, March 11: Gujarat Giants v Delhi Capitals (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Sunday, March 12: UP Warriorz v Mumbai Indians (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

Monday, March 13: Delhi Capitals v Royal Challengers Bangalore (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Tuesday, March 14: Mumbai Indians v Gujarat Giants (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

Wednesday, March 15: UP Warriorz v Royal Challengers Bangalore (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Thursday, March 16: Delhi Capitals v Gujarat Giants (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

Saturday, March 18: Mumbai Indians v UP Warriorz (Brabourne, 3.30pm); Royal Challengers Bangalore v Gujarat Giants (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Monday, March 20: Gujarat Giants v UP Warriorz (Brabourne, 3.30pm); Mumbai Indians v Delhi Capitals (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Tuesday, March 21: Royal Challengers Bangalore v Mumbai Indians (DY Patil Stadium, 3.30pm); UP Warriorz v Delhi Capitals (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

Friday, March 24: Eliminator - 2nd v 3rd (DY Patil Stadium, 7.30pm)

Sunday, March 26: Final (Brabourne, 7.30pm)

teenwolf.com?

I just needed an all-in-one image to get my head around the squads. Estimations of where the uncapped Indian players fit into the scheme of things is mostly based on limited stats and recent scorecards (seen some footage but not much).

teenwolf.com?

I just needed an all-in-one image to get my head around the squads. Estimations of where the uncapped Indian players fit into the scheme of things is mostly based on limited stats and recent scorecards (seen some footage but not much).
Hahah I googled that, just in case it was a legit website

It looks pretty cool. I tried to build Best XIs, but didn't know anything about the less known players.
The presentation of the teams, maybe suggested you got it from elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe its just me but I thought the timing of the WPL first game could have potentially been a bit better?

Clashing with a big Premier League game (Man City v Newcastle United), PSL game ...........ill probably have to give it a miss tonight but will keep an eye out on the score.

Watching last nights game now. Apparently you can now review wides and no balls, and this would then cost the sides one of their 2 reviews for the innings.
I like this as it may be worth it late into a game, and I like that it will cost them a review, as teams would have to really put thought into using it or not

Pretty embarrassing performances by the Australian players and coach for Gujarat last night, has to be said. Leaving out Dunkley from the XI and giving Kanwar just 2 overs was park cricket stuff from Haynes and Mooney. Backed in their mates instead, who all had stinkers.

143-run margin... comparable to the first IPL game, but still about 40 runs more than the biggest WBBL margin across all eight editions.

I think one thing that also cant be understated, is all these games being played in Mumbai. Having home support might mean something to the Mumbai Indians team collectively.

Also from what I heard Gujarat wont be getting Dottin for this tournament.

Decisions, decisions for tonight

Do I tune into the 3rd WPL game of the tournament 1AM-4AM or so , or Liverpool v Man Utd from 3:30AM-5:30AM?

Im leaning towards watching both PSL and WPL games from home on multi screens over the football today.

One way to measure where the Indian batting depth is at vs other countries...

Average of 20+ and strike rate of 110+ (minimum 100 runs) in a season

Uncapped Aus players in the WBBL (2021-22 and 2022-23)

KM Mack – 64 @ 115
GP Redmayne – 35 @ 110
GP Redmayne – 34 @ 120
MM Penna – 29 @ 121
CR Knott – 24 @ 113
G Voll – 24 @ 113
L Harris – 23 @ 205
T Flintoff – 23 @ 166
P Litchfield* – 23 @ 118
BE Patterson – 22 @ 114

Uncapped Eng players in The Hundred (2021 and 2022)
DR Gibson – 36 @ 180
E Jones – 29 @ 118
A Capsey* – 21 @ 126
GL Adams – 20 @ 137
HL Armitage – 20 @ 119

Uncapped NZ players in the Super Smash (2021-22 and 2022-23)
KG Anderson – 60 @ 115
RM Burns* – 31 @ 121
BG Armstrong – 25 @ 127

*Has since made international debut

One way to measure where the Indian batting depth is at vs other countries...

Average of 20+ and strike rate of 110+ (minimum 100 runs) in a season

Uncapped Aus players in the WBBL (2021-22 and 2022-23)

KM Mack – 64 @ 115
GP Redmayne – 35 @ 110
GP Redmayne – 34 @ 120
MM Penna – 29 @ 121
CR Knott – 24 @ 113
G Voll – 24 @ 113
L Harris – 23 @ 205
T Flintoff – 23 @ 166
P Litchfield* – 23 @ 118
BE Patterson – 22 @ 114

Uncapped Eng players in The Hundred (2021 and 2022)
DR Gibson – 36 @ 180
E Jones – 29 @ 118
A Capsey* – 21 @ 126
GL Adams – 20 @ 137
HL Armitage – 20 @ 119

Uncapped NZ players in the Super Smash (2021-22 and 2022-23)
KG Anderson – 60 @ 115
RM Burns* – 31 @ 121
BG Armstrong – 25 @ 127

*Has since made international debut
Would it be fair to say that England and NZ wickets tend to have better batting wickets on slightly smaller grounds?

From my knowledge of watching alot of mens T20s, boundaries tend to be bigger in Australia than NZ/India/England, hence you see higher scoring rates outside of Australia.

Would it be fair to say that England and NZ wickets tend to have better batting wickets on slightly smaller grounds?
No?

There are some shockers from time to time (exacerbated by the October start), but most WBBL games are played at famous batting paradises.

That would at least partly explain why--despite the better bowling and fielding in the WBBL, and even though the Hundred is geared toward more aggressive batting via shorter innings--the numbers say this:

Strike rates in domestic T20/100-ball comps last season (these are accurate, unlike my now-deleted previous attempt)
Eng: 120.1
Aus: 112.3
NZ: 103.5

My guess is the SR in the WBBL would be around 130 if it was 100 balls per side, considering:

Strike rates in domestic 50-over comps last season
Aus: 77.4
NZ: 74.3
Eng: 71.8

Game 2 of the WPL

Delhi Capitals Women (Playing XI): Shafali Verma, Meg Lanning(c), Marizanne Kapp, Jemimah Rodrigues, Alice Capsey, Jess Jonassen, Taniya Bhatia(w), Arundhati Reddy, Shikha Pandey, Radha Yadav, Tara Norris

Royal Challengers Bangalore Women (Playing XI): Smriti Mandhana(c), Sophie Devine, Disha Kasat, Ellyse Perry, Richa Ghosh(w), Heather Knight, Kanika Ahuja, Asha Shobana, Preeti Bose, Megan Schutt, Renuka Thakur Singh

Royal Challengers Bangalore Women have won the toss and have opted to field

Back