No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You seem the sort who'd call the police if you walked past some kids drinking in the park.
suspicious police GIF by Collider

That describes most of the Eagle's woes. The wrong people on massive coin
They won a flag and then gave all their ageing stars a big "reward" payment.

Now they are stuck with nobody to pay and the AFL 95% salary cap rule.

I feel like the AFL should make this more flexible to give clubs in this situation more room to move when rebuilding a list.

Allen and Tim Kelly must be on absolute monster contracts because they have almost no other players under 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Richmond supporter friend of mine just messaged me saying he's going back now to look at all of Dusty's hammy injuries...
Not gonna lie, it is tempting to go back and look at our injury history. It's the 1 week injuries you're looking for, where they've just randomly missed one game and returned the next week right as rain.

You could be accused of thinking that the AFL said the quiet bit out loud on Wednesday.
That at the heart of it all, yes, we do test our players for illicit drugs. And yes, we do get them to sit out of games if we find that illicit drugs are in their system, either overstating injuries or concocting them altogether to keep the trail clean.
But we do it for their own good.
We do it to protect them from the potential health impacts of playing elite sport with a dangerous drug in their systems. We do it to protect their identities because drug use is often linked to other mental health conditions, often brought on by the stress of the bright lights of the game — and we wouldn't want to add to that stress.
And, crucially, we do it because if they get caught, the World Anti-Doping Agency could ban them from playing.
It's that last point that will have fans tilting their heads and squinting their eyes as they consider the ethics of it all.
Edit:
And the big question they will need to ask in the process is — at what point does the league stop protecting the players from themselves?
If you damage the trust, though, you damage the brand — and the last thing the AFL can afford right now is to damage the faith of the faithful.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back