No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's bloody ridiculous. I don't remember Geelong getting this much coverage this time last year and they were 0-3.
I think it's because people kinda expected it? 0 games at home. Bunch of retirements and everyone being older

Who did Collingwood lose last year? Ginnavin? No massive loss plus they have players like the Daicos brothers who were supposed to get even better but instead got softer

I think it's because people kinda expected it? 0 games at home. Bunch of retirements and everyone being older

Who did Collingwood lose last year? Ginnavin? No massive loss plus they have players like the Daicos brothers who were supposed to get even better but instead got softer
Very true, but I still think its over the top.
I'm not a pies fan by any stretch of the imagination, but they haven't had the easiest start to the season by who they have played and breaks between games. There's a premiership hangover there for sure but I still think they will come good.

I think it's how the Pies are losing, the game seems to get away from them in the 3rd quarter and by the time they wake up in the 4th it's too late.

But yes, they have faced teams which have massive prospects for making the GF so... to the media it's premiership or bust for the Pies again I guess.

My take on the pies.
Their old players are getting older. Fast.
Their young players are guns and that contributed to their success last year.
Their 25-31 age group of players aren't stepping up.
Their game style needs to change. However thats a pre-season thing.

The pies were always in danger of falling off a bit of a ledge (perhaps not a cliff). There were many games over the last 2 seasons where they were down at 3 qtr time but managed to mow down teams and get the win, usually by a small margin (e.g. under 10 pts).

I always put that ability down to belief and having the mentality across the group that no game was out of reach. They were the masters of that, and a lot of credit needs to go to McRae for instilling that belief in them.

A slight drop in hunger / concentration, and that ability to overrun teams quickly evaporates. The way they won over the last two years for me was always a concern because the question I had was if you're such a great / disciplined team. Why are you continually finding yourself in these situations.

To their credit, they sustained it for 2 years and snagged a flag after coming close to making the GF in 2023. So they really made an art form of it.

Question for 2024 is, have they lost the hunger, are their old players too far into decline to contribute as they had in previous seasons. Or, will they start banking wins once their draw gets easier and build momentum from there.

Anything is possible really, but I think they've fallen off the pace. Other teams have gotten better / stronger, while they've lost a bit of ground imo.

Without making it an excuse the Pies first 4 games are against top 8 teams from last year (didn’t anticipate them to go 4-0 nor 0-4).

Compare that to the Giants who have the played the premiers followed by the two worst teams from last year.

Pies are off the pace and decent teams are showing them up.

The pies were always in danger of falling off a bit of a ledge (perhaps not a cliff). There were many games over the last 2 seasons where they were down at 3 qtr time but managed to mow down teams and get the win, usually by a small margin (e.g. under 10 pts).

I always put that ability down to belief and having the mentality across the group that no game was out of reach. They were the masters of that, and a lot of credit needs to go to McRae for instilling that belief in them.

A slight drop in hunger / concentration, and that ability to overrun teams quickly evaporates. The way they won over the last two years for me was always a concern because the question I had was if you're such a great / disciplined team. Why are you continually finding yourself in these situations.

To their credit, they sustained it for 2 years and snagged a flag after coming close to making the GF in 2023. So they really made an art form of it.

Question for 2024 is, have they lost the hunger, are their old players too far into decline to contribute as they had in previous seasons. Or, will they start banking wins once their draw gets easier and build momentum from there.

Anything is possible really, but I think they've fallen off the pace. Other teams have gotten better / stronger, while they've lost a bit of ground imo.
This!!!

Always thought they were one unlucky loss away from losing their aura. Just took longer than expected with one of the flukiest flag wins I've ever seen. 9 wins last season with single digits. Just a hollow shell.

Last edited:

Great post. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious of their last two years in the way they won matches, it was unreal. They made the most of it, and I'd take the flag and an 0-4 start this year any day of the week. But not their list :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie Betts last year was asked by a lifeguard to take his kid out of a swimming pool because a elderly white woman didn't want her grandkids in the pool while he was in there and now people are driving around Eddie's house yelling the 'n word'.

That this still happens in 2024 (and even to a well-known public figure) is both mind-boggling and disgusting.

Just to give myself a pat on the back, but I tipped them not to make the eight.
Figured they'd drop away and couldn't possibly keep winning the close ones at the same rate.

Admittedly that prediction was made at the start of 2013, but

View attachment 1941927
Your footy knowledge is yuge.

Eddie Betts last year was asked by a lifeguard to take his kid out of a swimming pool because a elderly white woman didn't want her grandkids in the pool while he was in there and now people are driving around Eddie's house yelling the 'n word'.

That this still happens in 2024 (and even to a well-known public figure) is both mind-boggling and disgusting.

Infuriating and somewhat disheartening, in the sense that - how can you even change someone like that?

And then you have Wayne Kerrs on Sky News and the like who attempt to diminish the Aboriginal experience, downplaying particular incidents or even the very reality that racism is still very much prevalent in society, either because they've never witnessed it themselves or because they know the perpetrators are often of their own ilk (white, privileged, bigoted.) And it's the victims who are always expected to be the ones to move on. You live in a great country, they're told. You don't have it that bad, they're told. There's no place for racism, they're assured, as open racists continue to be hired on mega money by media conglomerates and given platforms to spew their hateful ish, and portions of the broader public eat it up and then turn out to the polls to vote down legislation aimed at helping indigenous people. And we keep riding the hamster wheel.

That moment when you realise you only changed your tip in ONE tipping competition and forgot about the other one:cryv1:
Serves you right for not opening up the draft and trades thread
Food Tongue GIF by Rachael Ray Show

Infuriating and somewhat disheartening, in the sense that - how can you even change someone like that?

And then you have Wayne Kerrs on Sky News and the like who attempt to diminish the Aboriginal experience, downplaying particular incidents or even the very reality that racism is still very much prevalent in society, either because they've never witnessed it themselves or because they know the perpetrators are often of their own ilk (white, privileged, bigoted.) And it's the victims who are always expected to be the ones to move on. You live in a great country, they're told. You don't have it that bad, they're told. There's no place for racism, they're assured, as open racists continue to be hired on mega money by media conglomerates and given platforms to spew their hateful ish, and portions of the broader public eat it up and then turn out to the polls to vote down legislation aimed at helping indigenous people. And we keep riding the hamster wheel.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Some people really are pieces of s**t, that is disgusting

Like the dipsh@#ts booing Goodes.
“It’s not racist, we just don’t like him”.

Kids and in their own yard seems next level a-hole racist scum

I don't know what the * you can actually really even say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back