No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure Jimmy Webster is actually an AFL player.

Never heard of him.

Suspect he’s a bloke they found down the pub who fancied a game.

Personally the AFL have never been concerned enough with concussion and should reassess their penalties to acts like this one.

Webster should be gone for the year he never attempted to bump legally, he did not try to slow down, he had an unimpeded view of the player disposing of the ball deciding to hit him late and jumped leading to only one possible result - a high hit at great speed leading to a severe concussion.

I really do not see any difference between a hit like this one and Barry Hall decking Staker as both have such high chances of severe results for the impacted player.

It just gets worse...

For anyone who can't read it... along with a comment from Webster's brother saying, "Fair bump, play on", there was also this from his sister...

View attachment 1918977

Good grief. Family have fanned the flames of an already toxic media melt down.

I think fines should be tied to players' match fees e.g. 0.5 or 3 match fees. I'm not sure exactly how player payments are structured and whether it could work exactly like that but still I think it should be relative to their income. It's not an equivalent punishment otherwise to a star player or a young rookie if they are fined the same dollar amount. It's the same rationale that the fines should rise because their incomes are rising - you want to keep the (notional) deterrent effect equivalent. (I say notional because I'm not sure how finely players are calibrating their actions to the amount of the fines - I suspect it's mostly just heat of the moment, just as it is with other law-breaking and crime.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say, at first when thinking about this season I thought St.Kilda were gonna fall out of the 8 very confidently. I actually think the more I consider them the more I think they'll be a top 6 team. You look at their best 23 and it's got more stars or possible stars (AA types is how I think of it) than you'd think at first.

B: Wilkie - Battle - Sinclair
HB: Wanganeen-Milera - Howard - Bonner
C: Hill - Steele - Wood
HF: Owens - Membrey - Henry
F: Higgins - King - Phillipou
R: Marshall - Crouch - Ross

I/C: Wilson - Windhager - Butler - Dow - Stocker

I mean, that's a pretty damn good side IMO. Plus Ross Lyon has shown he is a very good coach who can get the most out of his side and this side has plenty of ability. I don't think they'll win the flag, but I can see them playing in a prelim this year.

I must say, at first when thinking about this season I thought St.Kilda were gonna fall out of the 8 very confidently. I actually think the more I consider them the more I think they'll be a top 6 team. You look at their best 23 and it's got more stars or possible stars (AA types is how I think of it) than you'd think at first.

I mean, that's a pretty damn good side IMO. Plus Ross Lyon has shown he is a very good coach who can get the most out of his side and this side has plenty of ability. I don't think they'll win the flag, but I can see them playing in a prelim this year.
They do now have some very good young players. Owens and Philippou, in particular, with their size and athleticism shape as potential players of the ilk of Goodes or Bontempelli. If both approach that kind of level they’ll be a very dangerous team in a few years time.

Their forward line remains heavily reliant on King being injury free (and kicking straight). And they seem to have several of the same kind of player on the flanks - Hill, Sinclair, Wanganeen-Milera, Bonner, Henry. That’s a lot of dash but is it too much at the expense of grunt?

They are the one team I can't get a read on, I actually have them missing the 8 just. Honestly feel from 5-12th there won't be much in it.

They do now have some very good young players. Owens and Philippou, in particular, with their size and athleticism shape as potential players of the ilk of Goodes or Bontempelli. If both approach that kind of level they’ll be a very dangerous team in a few years time.

Their forward line remains heavily reliant on King being injury free (and kicking straight). And they seem to have several of the same kind of player on the flanks - Hill, Sinclair, Wanganeen-Milera, Bonner, Henry. That’s a lot of dash but is it too much at the expense of grunt?

I think their glut of small runners that you list is gonna be a huge weapon given how the game is played with so much dependent on hard run off HB and through the wings with precision kicking - those guys are gonna be huge weapons imo.

I'd also add that the Saints have been maligned for being too much about grunt and not enough polish in recent years but now if you add to those runners Owens, Phillipou, Higgins, Wilson (their new draftee) to the grunt guys in Steele, Crouch, Ross, I reckon they've got an ideal mix. And tonnes of players who are right in the peak of their careers too.

Those grunt midfielders aren't classy/top line grunt players so I do think they're limited in that respect - as in, I don't think they will seriously challenge for the flag. When you look at the challengers (Brisbane, Collingwood, GWS, etc.) they've got grunt players who can also damage with the ball in hand and those Saints mids aren't that. But I do really think St.Kilda is gonna surprise people this year.

Lol. Seems Snarko has been asked for a please explain for his actions and reported words. The bloke has form both as a thug when playing and as an intemperate mouth from under age footy matches to alleged comments to Indigenous players.

I wonder if he is angling for part time work. Had 22 off and half of 23.

They will finish above Carlton and Essendon anyway. Just my 2p

Lol. Seems Snarko has been asked for a please explain for his actions and reported words. The bloke has form both as a thug when playing and as an intemperate mouth from under age footy matches to alleged comments to Indigenous players.

I wonder if he is angling for part time work. Had 22 off and half of 23.
He's probably due for Long Service leave..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back