No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just reposting my comment about this Laura Kane interview that I posted in a different thread because caesar88 pointed out that this is where it properly belongs.

I was just watching the interview with Laura Kane on afl.com.au. I'm struggling to link it but it's the latest edition of Footy Feed - a one on one interview by Sarah Olle of Kane. I have to say Kane presents very well. However she made my blood boil by not giving straight answers to straight questions. They are discussing the incident where Stocker dives for the ball, knocks it on and then Dangerfield crashes into him kneeing him in the back and a free is paid against Stocker for contact below the knees. Kane says we are "comfortable with where that decision landed" (an expression she uses a few times). Olle tries to clarify - what is the significance of Stocker getting first hands on the ball and Kane totally waffles her way past it. Despite her making a good impression on me until that point I was just baffled and infuriated.

Something similar happened later on when Olle asked Kane directly about whether next year if there's an opening round would the teams that play in the opening round be fixtured against each other in Round 1 to smooth out any unfairness. And again, Kane just totally ducks the question but without acknowledging that she's doing so. I could understand if she said something like "well, we'll have to decided that down the track, we haven't even decided if Opening Round will be repeated yet" - but to pretend she's answering the question but not do it smacks of the worst traits of politicians. Ugh!
Spot on.

Kane is a parody of facile corporate speak when cooling an issue. “We are comfortable with where that decision landed …. to not suspend Dangerfield, to invade Iraq, to spy on East Timor etc”.

Aside from a good win v the Donnies I am looking forward to -

1. Non Vic teams continuing to roll Vic bias teams.
2. Freo slaughtering lol Norf.
3. Questions being asked about the coaching futures of thug Clarkson and space cadet Beveridge.
4. Gianfagna being relegated.

Dwayne! the decline is happening quicker than i thought :(

Doing 5 as i cant split us and Freo

1. Sydney/Fremantle hard to split.
2. Suns
3. Melbourne
4. Essendon
5. Geelong
I'd have us above Freo, as good as Freo's win was, but they were at home.
We, on the other hand were away, playing in front of the largest H&A crowd we have ever played in front of, of which I'd guess 80%+ were hostiles
PLUS
they had just unfurled their flag (that I'm not certain they would have won if Neile had been awarded a free kick instead of play on advantage - of which there was none)

Man there is gonna be a huge chance to grab a few flags talent is gonna be spread so thin we are in a great position imo.

Yep we have peaked at the perfect time. Whether it translates in to a few grand finals or a flag who knows, but if you’re mid table right now and on a downward trajectory then you’re in a massive hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbf it’s a footy state with no other team. Minimum should be 50,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will get to 100k for foundation

real members in first year will be the challenge

So... flicked over to AFL main page at got "49 of the best: Every Nick Daicos game rated"....

Look he is very good but this is taking the cake.
Comment from the Reddit post on this article: "Oh no, people are focussing on his flopping, quick release some positive sentiment articles about him"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, Daicos is the media's dream. Famous footy name, plays for the 2nd biggest AFL club ;), he's a gun player and has hit top form very early in his career.

I agree the focus on him is overkill but he's a great player, seems like a great kid, and I'd rather the media celebrate the success of someone who deserves it rather than the sensationalist crap they usually dish up.

So... flicked over to AFL main page at got "49 of the best: Every Nick Daicos game rated"....

This can't be real.

Edit: It's real.

It's also written by the absolute heavyweight Cal Twomey.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but... I don't actually mind it?

I'm sick of hearing about him for sure, but I also don't know there's ever been a better first 50 games played. So I mean, if appreciation is gonna be shown to anyone's first 50 games, it should probably be his.

However I think just Collingwood's media team doing their own version would've sufficed.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but... I don't actually mind it?

I'm sick of hearing about him for sure, but I also don't know there's ever been a better first 50 games played. So I mean, if appreciation is gonna be shown to anyone's first 50 games, it should probably be his.

However I think just Collingwood's media team doing their own version would've sufficed.

For mine, just getting tired of the fan fare and carry on.

Post career, of an actual great, sure.

50 games in is just a tad too much for mine.

For mine, just getting tired of the fan fare and carry on.

Post career, of an actual great, sure.

50 games in is just a tad too much for mine.
That's fair.

The media definitely know how to take something that should be easy to enjoy and appreciate and instead make it ****ing annoying

For me the issue with the Daicos carry on is that despite the fact he has some sublime skills, and has racked up some big numbers in a premiership team, I simply don't feel that he's that good.

He punished us a few times in the first quarter the other night, but I just don't think he scares teams the way a Dusty, Fyfe or Dangerfield did. In relation to his peers, he just isn't as damaging as the likes of Rowell, Petracca or Serong. I won't even bring Gulden into it.

That's a pretty high bar don't get me wrong, and he'll be a top 5-10 player for years, but this idea that he's head and shoulders above the rest of the league is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back