List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the list of delisted free agents the only one I would be interested in bringing in would be Brodie McLaughlin the x Sun, would be good depth at the very least.

Looking at the list of delisted free agents the only one I would be interested in bringing in would be Brodie McLaughlin the x Sun, would be good depth at the very least.
That list will grow as clubs make further decisions.
These are the players clubs will look at more closely rather than the ones delisted early.
Always a risk but at present we don't have much of a draft hand and possibly trade some out into 2024 for points.
Then there is the post draft period to complete the clubs list.
Maybe pick one using pick 100 to 120 ;). Below taken from AFL Draft Picks Broken Down by Pick Number - Draftguru
However last year only 59 were taken so below picks 40-60 for reference.

1697674095509.png

1697673770751.png

Going to throw some profiles up here of KPP players that might be around the mark for our picks.

I’m going to try and list them in order of where draft watchers rank them.

I’ll start with Archer Reid.

If we trade up for one of Gold Coasts picks in the 20’s, Reid is a possibility to still be available.

Arie Schoenmaker.

A smooth third tall with a very good kick. Much more a distributor out of the backline, than a one on one defender.

One of this year’s bolters, Zane “ZZ” Zakostelsky.

Potential to be an athletic KPD at AFL level.

Will Dawson is another athletic KPD, with the scope to be a lock down defender who can take the likes of the King brothers and other 200cm+ KPF’s.

Will Patton, is a little under sized to play as a genuine Key Defender, so third tall would be his position at AFL a level.

Riley Weatherill, this year’s draft is short on genuine Key Forwards. Most are either 3rd tall height or are more potential forward rucks.

No profile as yet.

Will Dawson is another athletic KPD, with the scope to be a lock down defender who can take the likes of the King brothers and other 200cm+ KPF’s.

I like the size and physicality but not a heap of anything else. Seems to pretty often pull the ball from right to left when dropping the ball for his kicks and things go awry from there. Not a great read of the ball in the air but not terrible. Likes to take a mark but average at it.

Logan Morris, I am genuinely unsure where to place.

He’s third tall height, is an excellent contested mark and knows how to use his body. But he’s not athletic and won’t have the same size advantage at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the size and physicality but not a heap of anything else. Seems to pretty often pull the ball from right to left when dropping the ball for his kicks and things go awry from there. Not a great read of the ball in the air but not terrible. Likes to take a mark but average at it.
Always appreciate your insight Quigley, as I’m way behind identifying strengths and weaknesses in players skills.

Going to throw some profiles up here of KPP players that might be around the mark for our picks.

I’m going to try and list them in order of where draft watchers rank them.

I’ll start with Archer Reid.

If we trade up for one of Gold Coasts picks in the 20’s, Reid is a possibility to still be available.

Good size and a really fluid mover for his size. Woeful skills though and couldn't hit a barn with a handful of wheat. Probably a below average mark even given his size advantage.

Good size and a really fluid mover for his size. Woeful skills though and couldn't hit a barn with a handful of wheat. Probably a below average mark even given his size advantage.
Have you seen much of academy prospect Tom Gillett?

My gut feel is Reid and Gillett would play the same position, forward ruck, and Gillett possesses better skills, but I have questions on his contested marking, but that may just be because he hasn’t grown in to his body yet, and lacks the core strength to compete through physical contact at this stage.

Logan Morris, I am genuinely unsure where to place.

He’s third tall height, is an excellent contested mark and knows how to use his body. But he’s not athletic and won’t have the same size advantage at AFL level.

Fair and reasonable call that.

They are all a bit…..underwhelming and I know that our picks are in the late second round but you usually get some good players at that range. as much as we talk about KPP depth I wouldn't‘ be surprised if we didn’t draft any this year looking at those clips.
Maybe it’s just how the game is being nowadays, with the KPP stocks not being developed as well at junior, community and elite levels now (COVID pandemic impact) over the small speedy / athletically kids who can play a whole range of positions.

Personally, I reckon the club will select 3 players at the draft this year, with Pick 30 (will be pushed back of course) being used on the best available talent still left on the table regardless of position, with Pick 39 and 51 possibly used for selecting young KPP stocks in the future for us.

Remember what Nobes used to quote for us: “Trade for Needs + Draft for Talent” so I would be shocked if we went against that motto and select a tall with our first pick unless there’s a complete sleeper in the mix.

They are all a bit…..underwhelming and I know that our picks are in the late second round but you usually get some good players at that range. as much as we talk about KPP depth I wouldn't‘ be surprised if we didn’t draft any this year looking at those clips.
This draft lacks depth.

I believe there are 14 first round quality kids. Then there are about 17-19 second round quality kids, and that second group contains 3 genuine quality ruck options.

After that, it’s slim pickings, and you’re left looking at some small forward or half back flank options.

Remember what Nobes used to quote for us: “Trade for Needs + Draft for Talent” so I would be shocked if we select a tall with our first pick unless there’s a sleeper in the mix.
I'm not sure how hard they stick to that quote, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that both Wilmot and Lohman were both picks for need/suited what we needed at the time. Might be remembering that wrong though.

Looking at the first of the mock drafts to go up on the draft board, Arie Schoenmaker was selected at our first pick, and he was easily best available at that pick in that mock draft.

The next best two players still available were a ruck or a small forward.

I'm not sure how hard they stick to that quote, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that both Wilmot and Lohman were both picks for need/suited what we needed at the time. Might be remembering that wrong though.
True, still think Wilmot was the best available talent on the board when we selected him given we had quite a few half-backs already at the time but still a great pickup, but Lohmann seems to be a position-based pick due to lack of depth if Cameron or McCarthy had a long-term injury and had some experience so far (with indifference results).

Obviously, wouldn’t expect the club to pick up another small midfielder given Levi Ashcroft “most likely” will be a Lion in 2024, but possibly more small-midfield forward depth wouldn’t be a bad option (if Blake Coleman does get delisted) or another utility player (i.e Harry DeMattia / James Leake type players).

The club can then pick up the best KPP (hopefully KPF) player left on the draft table with Pick 39 and then choose Patrick Snell (academy KPP player for us) with Pick 51 to round off the draft.

This draft lacks depth.

I believe there are 14 first round quality kids. Then there are about 17-19 second round quality kids, and that second group contains 3 genuine quality ruck options.

After that, it’s slim pickings, and you’re left looking at some small forward or half back flank options.
This is what happens with a weak VIC Metro team and SA and WA weren't overly strong as well. I know have Smith and lane on our books as developing ruck types but I have wondered if the club might draft a ruck this draft. Personally can’t see it teams usually just pilfer from others days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back