List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumming is a really good halfback and if a team is able to sign him away then they're going to get an impact player. You can go back and watch 2021/22 and he's picking teams apart from the back half, there's not many better users with his confidence to open up play, it's a bit frustrating we can't find a way to get him consistent games in the back 6 because he really is good.
Think Hogan would have quite a few suitors whether he's willing to entertain them or not idk but contested marking key forwards that kick goals are a super valuable thing to have, would think after leaving Freo and Melbourne he's sort of over having the spotlight on him and happy where it's a bit quiet and no one really cares.
I think if we put a reasonable contract in front of him Hogan will take it. I can't see him wanting to go back to Melb/Perth. Seems settled and although he's been on a small contract he's now earnt the trust of the club. Probably his best chance to win one too

So, my thoughts on the uncontracted main list players:
  • Pez - as discussed, hard to see him going anywhere; just that solid player who rolls his sleeves up and doesn't really want the limelight, unlikely to be the target of big money offers (hopefully he's a relatively early re-signing)
  • Jesse Hogan deserves more $$ than his initial couple of contracts; we need a strong-marking KPD and they're hard to find, he needs a place that doesn't overload the pressure on him, so I think that's an easy call from each side (he probably takes a little less to be in a place where he's happy, as long as we don't try to ridiculously low-ball him)
  • Keeffe surely is a retiree at end of this year - would be nice to send him out being part of a premiership club
  • Cal Ward isn't being tempted to another club (IMHO); he'll play on or retire depending on how season 2024 goes and how he's feeling, so a late-season or end-of-season call on him I suspect
  • Nick Haynes's future is down to how he's feeling, how season 2024 goes for GWS and him; hence why he's a "watch and see what plays out" IMHO
  • Preuss is an enigma, but essentially whether he plays on with GWS or wants to go elsewhere is going to be dependent on what happens in season 2024, so he's a definite "watch and see what plays out" IMHO
  • Angwin and Stone haven't had a lot of opportunity to prove themselves, and some posters here are pessimistic that they have the potential; I agree that there's a bit of a question mark on them - if we need to offload players to make list spaces for next year's ND, and/or if they think they'll get more opportunities at a Victorian club, then they would be possible departures; but if we can re-sign them cheaply, they can be role/backup players for us
  • Isaac Cumming, the big Cheese, is probably the biggest conundrum on that list. I agree with the previous thoughts on his breakout years in 2021 & 2022. Statistically, and to the eye IMHO, he was up there with the players who were selected AA (Bailey Dale in 2021 & Adam Saad in 2022). But in 2023 as GWS seemed to prioritise Whitfield & Ash in those running back positions plus Pez in a more defensive role, pushing Cheese into a different role (wing in the latter half of the season), which did drop his stats, and (to the eye) his previous level of effectiveness. So, yeah, I think what happens with his future depends on how AK views him, what role he plays, if he can adapt to a new role if that's what AK wants, and whether Isaac wants that or not. As an RFA, we do have some control. I think he'd be best 22 at a lot of clubs, so if one is willing to pay him a good contract, we might be happy to let him go and take the draft pick compensation. We do have guys like Fahey, Wehr, Fonti and Hamilton waiting in the wings, so we might feel that we have some coverage for him. Anyway, that's why I have him as a "wait & see" rather than a "must sign".

Last edited:

AFL: Champion Data reveals the deepest lists, with GWS, Carlton and Collingwood rated highly

By Josh Barnes

Sport Reporter

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

05 January 2024

Halfway through the 2023 season, few would have expected the GWS Giants or Carlton to make finals, let alone shape finals.

The two clubs got on spectacular rolls and powered through to preliminary final losses.

While both clubs have superstars — Toby Greene at the Giants and Charlie Curnow at the Blues — they also have deep lists.

Champion Data has combed through each 2023 list and picked out the players rated in the top 50 in every position to help discover the best depth.

It’s no surprise that Collingwood finished with the most players inside the top 50 in their respective position, with the Pies winning the flag in September thanks to a perfect spread of contributors.

Instead of just listing how many players made the grade, each club has been ranked by depth.

To rank all 18 clubs, points were assigned per player bracket within the top 50, with three points per top-10 player, two points for players ranked 11-30 and one point for those ranked 31-50.

For example, GWS had seven top-10 players (for 21 points), six ranked 11-30 (12 points) and nine ranked 31-50 (nine points) to equal a total of 42.

When two teams were tied, the tie-breaker came down to the team with more total players ranked inside the top 50 per position.

The depth analysis is based on 2023 lists, so retirees like Isaac Smith (rated the seventh-best mid-forward in the game) or players traded like Lachie Schultz (eighth-best general forward) remain counted to their 2023 clubs.

Only players who played at least 12 games qualified, with rankings based on ranking points.

Check out where your clubs sits in the depth charts, from the high-flyers to the cellar dwellers needing more contributors.

1. GWS GIANTS

Depth analysis points: 42

Top 10 players: 7, Top 11-30 players: 6, Top 31-50 players: 9, Total players: 22

POSITIONAL BREAKDOWN

Defenders – Top 10: 3, Top 11-30: 2, Top 31-50: 2

Midfielders – Top 10: 1, Top 11-30: 4, Top 31-50: 1

Forwards – Top 10: 3, Top 11-30: 0, Top 31-50: 6

Top 10 players: Toby Greene (3rd – gen fwd), Kieren Briggs (6th – ruck), Lachie Whitfield (9th – gen def), Sam Taylor (9th – key def), Brent Daniels (10th – gen fwd), Harry Himmelberg (10th – key def), Jesse Hogan (10th – key fwd)

You only had to watch the back end of the 2023 season and two winning finals to see how the Giants played as one.

At times, Adam Kingsley’s side appeared to all move together and have winners everywhere, and that was reflected in our depth numbers.

GWS led the entire league in players rated top-10 in their position with seven and only Collingwood had more top-50 players.

The Giants finished top on our rankings by winning the tie-breaker over Carlton, due to having more players on the top-50.

Given the growth last season, where will the Giants sit in 12 months time?

POSTER'S COMMENT: The remaining clubs were listed as:

2. CARLTON

3. COLLINGWOOD

4. MELBOURNE

5. BRISBANE LIONS

6. ADELAIDE

7. SYDNEY

8. RICHMOND

9. WESTERN BULLDOGS

10. HAWTHORN

11. FREMANTLE

12. GEELONG

13. ESSENDON

14. PORT ADELAIDE

15. ST KILDA

16. GOLD COAST

17. WEST COAST

18. NORTH MELBOURNE

News Corp has been doing a club by club analysis for the coming season. This is the Giants’ article:

Club by club: GWS young gun who can win a Brownlow, take Giants to a flag in 2024

By Lachlan Mckirdy

Content Producer

09 January 2024

The Orange Tsunami returned this year and there weren’t many opponents who could hold on for the ride. Collingwood was lucky to escape when it won its preliminary final and that agonising loss will be driving Adam Kingsley, Toby Greene and the rest of the side to go one better this season.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

Coach: Adam Kingsley

Captains: Toby Greene

What happened in 2023?

It was a tale of two halves as the Giants went from cellar dwellers to AFL darlings. The Giants were just one point away from a remarkable grand final appearance, an incredible feat considering they were in the bottom-four at the halfway point of the season. Experienced players like Stephen Coniglio and Callan Ward recaptured some of their best form, while the inimitable forward duo of Toby Bedford and Brent Daniels turned the side into a pressure machine. There’s so much to like about what the Giants were able to do in 2023 and they should only build on that going forward.

GWS BEST 23

FB: J. Buckley, S. Taylor, C. Idun
HB: L. Ash, H. Himmelberg, L. Whitfield
C: H. Perryman, T. Green, J. Kelly
HF: T. Bedford, J. Riccardi, B. Daniels
FF: C. Brown, J. Hogan, T. Greene
F: K. Briggs, C. Ward, S. Coniglio
I: F. Callaghan, I. Cumming, A. Cadman, X. O’Halloran, L. Aleer

Where do they finish in 2024?

If the Giants get on a roll early in 2024 — and they should considering the first six rounds they have been given — it should be top four or bust for the men from Western Sydney. They’ve proven already that they have no fear of taking on teams on the road and if they can turn Giants Stadium into a fortress, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be able to pick 16+ wins for the year.

Biggest improver in 2024?

It will be hard for anyone to break into the side that Kingsley had put together by the end of 2023, but Leek Aleer could be the one. The talented defender looks to be past several injury issues that kept him off the park for much of last season and he should certainly add to his four AFL games to date. While the Giants’ defence is already formidable, if Aleer can force his way into the side it will become even more impenetrable.

X-Factor?

Tom Green is already one of the competition’s best midfielders, but with his mentality, you get the sense he’s still far from his peak. He is as good at winning contested ball as anyone in the AFL and will only grow around a settled midfield where he is one of many elite players. If he gets anywhere near his potential in 2024, the Brownlow Medal could have his name on it by September.

Coach status

Adam Kingsley is riding high after his incredible first season in charge, which included being named the Coach of the Year. While it took a few weeks to get his side all singing to the same tune, the turnaround was remarkable and by the end of 2023, they were the most in-form team in the competition. The focus this off-season will be taking the group to the next level and with a stable squad and plenty of determined young players he has all the tools to succeed.

Who is in last year of contract?

Adam Kennedy, Braydon Preuss, Callan Ward, Conor Stone, Cooper Hamilton, Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming, James Peatling, Jesse Hogan, Josh Fahey, Lachie Keeffe, Nick Haynes, Nick Madden, Ryan Angwin.

Outs for 2024

Matt Flynn (West Coast), Phil Davis (retired), Daniel Lloyd (retired), Cameron Fleeton (delisted), Jason Gillbee (delisted)

Ins for 2024

Phoenix Gothard (Pick 12 – Draft), James Leake (Pick 17 – Draft), Joseph Fonti (Pick 44 – Draft), Harvey Thomas (Pick 59 – Draft), Nathan Wardius (Cat B rookie)

GWS' FIRST SIX

Rd 0 Collingwood @ Giants Stadium (W)
Rd 1 North Melbourne @ Giants Stadium (W)
Rd 2 West Coast @ Optus Stadium (W)
Rd 3 BYE
Rd 4 Gold Coast @ Adelaide Hills (W)
Rd 5 St Kilda @ Manuka Oval (W)
Rd 6 Carlton @ Marvel Stadium (L)
(Prediction: 5-1)

News Corp has been doing a club by club analysis for the coming season. This is the Giants’ article:

Club by club: GWS young gun who can win a Brownlow, take Giants to a flag in 2024

By Lachlan Mckirdy

Content Producer

09 January 2024

The Orange Tsunami returned this year and there weren’t many opponents who could hold on for the ride. Collingwood was lucky to escape when it won its preliminary final and that agonising loss will be driving Adam Kingsley, Toby Greene and the rest of the side to go one better this season.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

Coach: Adam Kingsley

Captains: Toby Greene

What happened in 2023?

It was a tale of two halves as the Giants went from cellar dwellers to AFL darlings. The Giants were just one point away from a remarkable grand final appearance, an incredible feat considering they were in the bottom-four at the halfway point of the season. Experienced players like Stephen Coniglio and Callan Ward recaptured some of their best form, while the inimitable forward duo of Toby Bedford and Brent Daniels turned the side into a pressure machine. There’s so much to like about what the Giants were able to do in 2023 and they should only build on that going forward.

GWS BEST 23

FB: J. Buckley, S. Taylor, C. Idun
HB: L. Ash, H. Himmelberg, L. Whitfield
C: H. Perryman, T. Green, J. Kelly
HF: T. Bedford, J. Riccardi, B. Daniels
FF: C. Brown, J. Hogan, T. Greene
F: K. Briggs, C. Ward, S. Coniglio
I: F. Callaghan, I. Cumming, A. Cadman, X. O’Halloran, L. Aleer

Where do they finish in 2024?

If the Giants get on a roll early in 2024 — and they should considering the first six rounds they have been given — it should be top four or bust for the men from Western Sydney. They’ve proven already that they have no fear of taking on teams on the road and if they can turn Giants Stadium into a fortress, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be able to pick 16+ wins for the year.

Biggest improver in 2024?

It will be hard for anyone to break into the side that Kingsley had put together by the end of 2023, but Leek Aleer could be the one. The talented defender looks to be past several injury issues that kept him off the park for much of last season and he should certainly add to his four AFL games to date. While the Giants’ defence is already formidable, if Aleer can force his way into the side it will become even more impenetrable.

X-Factor?

Tom Green is already one of the competition’s best midfielders, but with his mentality, you get the sense he’s still far from his peak. He is as good at winning contested ball as anyone in the AFL and will only grow around a settled midfield where he is one of many elite players. If he gets anywhere near his potential in 2024, the Brownlow Medal could have his name on it by September.

Coach status

Adam Kingsley is riding high after his incredible first season in charge, which included being named the Coach of the Year. While it took a few weeks to get his side all singing to the same tune, the turnaround was remarkable and by the end of 2023, they were the most in-form team in the competition. The focus this off-season will be taking the group to the next level and with a stable squad and plenty of determined young players he has all the tools to succeed.

Who is in last year of contract?

Adam Kennedy, Braydon Preuss, Callan Ward, Conor Stone, Cooper Hamilton, Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming, James Peatling, Jesse Hogan, Josh Fahey, Lachie Keeffe, Nick Haynes, Nick Madden, Ryan Angwin.

Outs for 2024

Matt Flynn (West Coast), Phil Davis (retired), Daniel Lloyd (retired), Cameron Fleeton (delisted), Jason Gillbee (delisted)

Ins for 2024

Phoenix Gothard (Pick 12 – Draft), James Leake (Pick 17 – Draft), Joseph Fonti (Pick 44 – Draft), Harvey Thomas (Pick 59 – Draft), Nathan Wardius (Cat B rookie)

GWS' FIRST SIX

Rd 0 Collingwood @ Giants Stadium (W)
Rd 1 North Melbourne @ Giants Stadium (W)
Rd 2 West Coast @ Optus Stadium (W)
Rd 3 BYE
Rd 4 Gold Coast @ Adelaide Hills (W)
Rd 5 St Kilda @ Manuka Oval (W)
Rd 6 Carlton @ Marvel Stadium (L)
(Prediction: 5-1)
Leek is an interesting breakout pick but I just don't see the avenue for him to get games unless there's an injury, the 3 talls are all elite so just don't see how he can play. Breakout has to come from the mid or fwd group imo that's where there's spots up for grabs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment Leek's best chance is being that tall utility that also offers sone chop-out work in the ruck.
I think Leek could be an interesting look if we find ourselves without a ruck for a minute. Hopefully Briggs holds up all season...no one trusts Preuss to get on the field...and stay there. Apart from them we have Keefe/Madden as back ups but Leek could be a dangerous type if he can use that vertical leap.
Assuming Cadman comes in for Keefe it probably doesn't leave much room for him as that backup ruck/forward role.

Are we going to see Rowston Usurp Ward this year?

I think Leek could be an interesting look if we find ourselves without a ruck for a minute. Hopefully Briggs holds up all season...no one trusts Preuss to get on the field...and stay there. Apart from them we have Keefe/Madden as back ups but Leek could be a dangerous type if he can use that vertical leap.
Assuming Cadman comes in for Keefe it probably doesn't leave much room for him as that backup ruck/forward role.

Are we going to see Rowston Usurp Ward this year?
Think in an ideal world Rowston can take over from Ward even if it's not on a full time basis but enough to be able to come in look good enough for a stretch to be able to give Ward a breather. Think Ward's still going to have it in him if he's given enough rest but don't think he's going to be able to back it up week in and week out we already saw him drop off last year. If Rowston can just hold his own when Ward isn't available, we're in a tough position because we're relying on 1 guy who probably isn't ready and another that's probably a year past it, need one of them to be able to give us a quality year to bridge the gap until 2025.

I think Rowston's rise will be quick. His intensity is amazing when he's out there.

Our squad is very much in the two timelines. I think our best chance will be these cross over years where those young jets are still on modest contracts.

Bit like GSW in the NBA....but hopefully with better management of young core.

Potential loss for us as Isaac Beacroft decides to focus on his very promising athletic career rather than continue with our Academy this year. However, Issac says he is open to take up footy in 2025 when he is eligible for the draft.

"As an AFL player, I am the guy who works really hard, runs a lot and gets really clean hands around the contest," he said.

"Picking the ball up out of contests, getting it on the outside and running a lot, two-way running, defending, attacking, maximising my running as much as I can."

An analysis by the AFL on how clubs have built their lists. We have the club that has most used the AFL draft to build up our list, 5 more than the next highest clubs.

gws-giants.jpg

AFL Draft: 32 (most)
Trade:
3 (equal 17th most)
Free agency/Uncontracted:
2 (equal sixth most)
Rookie Draft/Cat B rookies:
5 (equal ninth most)
Pre-Season Draft/SSP:
0 (equal 16th most)
Mid-Season Draft:
2 (equal seventh most)

I think Rowston's rise will be quick. His intensity is amazing when he's out there.

Our squad is very much in the two timelines. I think our best chance will be these cross over years where those young jets are still on modest contracts.

Bit like GSW in the NBA....but hopefully with better management of young core.
Giants in a lot of ways are more like OKC.We have our star vets like GSW but apart from Ward ours are younger.Hopefully Tom Green or Callaghan are our SGA😀

Giants in a lot of ways are more like OKC.We have our star vets like GSW but apart from Ward ours are younger.Hopefully Tom Green or Callaghan are our SGA😀
Yeah I don't mind that actually. I think our core is still Toby, Cogs, Hogan, Kelly ATM though. I see OKC as a purely young talent team more like Hawthorn.

Those training shots today show Leek and Cadman seem to have put on some serious weight/muscle.
Ash and Callaghan look in good nick too!

Yeah I don't mind that actually. I think our core is still Toby, Cogs, Hogan, Kelly ATM though. I see OKC as a purely young talent team more like Hawthorn.

Those training shots today show Leek and Cadman seem to have put on some serious weight/muscle.
Ash and Callaghan look in good nick too!
Geez that flatters hawks .They would love to be where OKC is at at now.More us in 2015-16.Unfortunately it didn’t lead to a premiership .Hopefully it does in next year or two😀

I think Binga might get a fair bit more midfield time. Especially at centre bounce and around stoppage. His dynamism is a weapon for us.
me too.
maybe not so much this year, but moving forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back