List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

A wild thought…
Watching our forward line setup, the role of Hogan is huge. Structurally the way he sets up and the way he competes and halves contests is so important for us.
At this stage, if he was to miss games, Riccardi and Cadman are no where near ready to fill that role… especially when we play teams with elite tall defenders.
Because we are so well placed with tall defenders, would you pull one of our defenders out to fill that role…. My thinking was… what about Sammy Taylor as our key forward… he plays like a key forward, but in the back half. He is our biggest competitor and never gets outmarked.
We would still have Buckley, HH, Idun and Haynes in the back half.
I’d love to see him line up on Weitering, as I personally think he would dominate him.
A stupid idea I know, but I think it’s worth considering what we would do if a structural piece such as Hogan was to miss.
I don't hate it if it meant winning a big final and we could cover him in defence.

A wild thought…
Watching our forward line setup, the role of Hogan is huge. Structurally the way he sets up and the way he competes and halves contests is so important for us.
At this stage, if he was to miss games, Riccardi and Cadman are no where near ready to fill that role… especially when we play teams with elite tall defenders.
Because we are so well placed with tall defenders, would you pull one of our defenders out to fill that role…. My thinking was… what about Sammy Taylor as our key forward… he plays like a key forward, but in the back half. He is our biggest competitor and never gets outmarked.
I’d love to see him line up on Weitering, as I personally think he would dominate him.
A stupid idea I know, but I think it’s worth considering what we would do if a structural piece such as Hogan was to miss.
There’s been plenty of great defenders who haven’t been able to do it. Silvagni comes to mind as defender who would go forward and change the game as a forward. Jury is out on Petty, if he’s a great defender to start.
I wonder what sort of a goal kicker Taylor would be? For me his kicking is the only part of his game that isn’t elite. Telegraphs where he’s kicking it to and not greatly penetrating. Neither would matter taking close range set shots.

Under no circumstances am I lining up Sam Taylor anywhere but D50, lets be real

This has been discussed previously on our board, but an interesting article about Tarryn Thomas. This part in particular:

“Thomas, while he spent time in Tasmania and thus was tied to North as a Next-Generation Academy (NGA) recruit (for Indigenous or multicultural players) in 2018, also grew up in Sydney’s west and has family in the harbour city, which could put him on the radar of the Giants and Swans, albeit those clubs already own strong playing lists …. Former Swans great and current board member Michael O’Loughlin sought to help Thomas on a personal level at one stage by sourcing a job for the young footballer”.

If I recall correctly from another earlier newspaper article his Mum lives in western Sydney, but that maybe be wrong. I think if he was to be looked at, and both clubs have very strong and good players’ cultures, you would really make him do 12 months in the Reserves and probably not as a Rookie but the VFL list.

Putting aside the ‘waste of talent’ football argument, it is always that much better to see a young man succeed irrespective of how his AFL career finishes.

How Tarryn Thomas can go to any club, at no draft cost

Story by Jake Niall

Sydney Morning-Herald

Suspended midfielder Tarryn Thomas can be signed as a free agent by any club, bar North Melbourne, at the end of the 2024 season.

Having parted company with Thomas, North Melbourne will not seek to hold him on the club list and ask for a trade – allowing him to be snared as a free agent by any of the 17 other clubs, at the end of this season.

But Thomas can only be signed by another club with the approval of the AFL, under the terms of his 18-match suspension for inappropriate behaviour towards a woman, the talented player also having to complete an education course before he can resume in the AFL.

North and Thomas’s management are close to reaching a financial settlement that would see him paid a greatly reduced share of his estimated $700,000 contract for 2024, the last year of his deal with the Kangaroos.

Thomas will be available as a delisted free agent under the rules because the club made the call to remove him from the playing list, not the player.

Thomas’ situation – the rules that surround his next move, North’s position and the AFL’s requirements – were confirmed to this masthead by three industry sources familiar with North Melbourne’s stance, the relevant rules and the AFL’s position and who did not wish to be on record given the sensitivity.

Thomas, who was suspended for 18 matches, cannot be picked up in the mid-season draft, but would be allowed to play in the state leagues once his suspension is over, subject to the AFL’s permission, the sources said.

Thomas was involved in a number of incidents over 2023 and this year – none of which resulted in criminal convictions, but which were sufficient for North to remove him from the team for a period and for the AFL to later suspend him for 18 matches – effectively ruling him out of this year’s season at the elite level.

Thomas, who turned 24 last Monday, is technically still on North Melbourne’s list, even though he is no longer part of the club. The AFL rules do not allow for him to be available for the mid-season draft.

A number of clubs are expected to investigate the feasibility of recruiting Thomas, a high-end talent, but there is no indication, as yet, where he could land, nor how many clubs would be willing to explore picking up a highly talented young footballer with a chequered record off the field.

Thomas, while he spent time in Tasmania and thus was tied to North as a Next-Generation Academy (NGA) recruit (for Indigenous or multicultural players) in 2018, also grew up in Sydney’s west and has family in the harbour city, which could put him on the radar of the Giants and Swans, albeit those clubs already own strong playing lists.

Former Swans great and current board member Michael O’Loughlin sought to help Thomas on a personal level at one stage by sourcing a job for the young footballer.

Thomas’ appeal will rest on his undoubted talent and also on the fact that he can simply be signed, without any trade or draft cost. But the clubs that consider him also will weigh up the potential risks.

North Melbourne decided to sack Thomas immediately on February 21 after the AFL found he had threatened a woman in direct messages multiple times, imposing an 18-match ban.

“The club has provided Tarryn with significant time, resources and support, but we’ve now arrived at a point where the individual’s needs don’t match those of the club,” North chief executive Jennifer Watt said.

“We know Tarryn needs help – for himself and for the women in his life – but it’s clear the path we’ve taken over the past 12 months hasn’t had the desired impact.

“To that end, we have made the decision to end Tarryn’s time at North Melbourne.

“This decision doesn’t come lightly or easily. We brought Tarryn to the club as a teenager and we acknowledge that he has faced complex and challenging circumstances over his life.

“We hope Tarryn will find the support that is right for him and that he does the work required to be the best version of himself.”

It is a measure of Thomas’s raw ability that he finished sixth in the Kangaroos’ best and fairest last year, despite playing only 12 of their 23 matches following an early season club suspension.

This has been discussed previously on our board, but an interesting article about Tarryn Thomas. This part in particular:

“Thomas, while he spent time in Tasmania and thus was tied to North as a Next-Generation Academy (NGA) recruit (for Indigenous or multicultural players) in 2018, also grew up in Sydney’s west and has family in the harbour city, which could put him on the radar of the Giants and Swans, albeit those clubs already own strong playing lists …. Former Swans great and current board member Michael O’Loughlin sought to help Thomas on a personal level at one stage by sourcing a job for the young footballer”.

If I recall correctly from another earlier newspaper article his Mum lives in western Sydney, but that maybe be wrong. I think if he was to be looked at, and both clubs have very strong and good players’ cultures, you would really make him do 12 months in the Reserves and probably not as a Rookie but the VFL list.

Putting aside the ‘waste of talent’ football argument, it is always that much better to see a young man succeed irrespective of how his AFL career finishes.

Story by Jake Niall

Sydney Morning-Herald

Suspended midfielder Tarryn Thomas can be signed as a free agent by any club, bar North Melbourne, at the end of the 2024 season.

Having parted company with Thomas, North Melbourne will not seek to hold him on the club list and ask for a trade – allowing him to be snared as a free agent by any of the 17 other clubs, at the end of this season.

But Thomas can only be signed by another club with the approval of the AFL, under the terms of his 18-match suspension for inappropriate behaviour towards a woman, the talented player also having to complete an education course before he can resume in the AFL.

North and Thomas’s management are close to reaching a financial settlement that would see him paid a greatly reduced share of his estimated $700,000 contract for 2024, the last year of his deal with the Kangaroos.

Thomas will be available as a delisted free agent under the rules because the club made the call to remove him from the playing list, not the player.

Thomas’ situation – the rules that surround his next move, North’s position and the AFL’s requirements – were confirmed to this masthead by three industry sources familiar with North Melbourne’s stance, the relevant rules and the AFL’s position and who did not wish to be on record given the sensitivity.

Thomas, who was suspended for 18 matches, cannot be picked up in the mid-season draft, but would be allowed to play in the state leagues once his suspension is over, subject to the AFL’s permission, the sources said.

Thomas was involved in a number of incidents over 2023 and this year – none of which resulted in criminal convictions, but which were sufficient for North to remove him from the team for a period and for the AFL to later suspend him for 18 matches – effectively ruling him out of this year’s season at the elite level.

Thomas, who turned 24 last Monday, is technically still on North Melbourne’s list, even though he is no longer part of the club. The AFL rules do not allow for him to be available for the mid-season draft.

A number of clubs are expected to investigate the feasibility of recruiting Thomas, a high-end talent, but there is no indication, as yet, where he could land, nor how many clubs would be willing to explore picking up a highly talented young footballer with a chequered record off the field.

Thomas, while he spent time in Tasmania and thus was tied to North as a Next-Generation Academy (NGA) recruit (for Indigenous or multicultural players) in 2018, also grew up in Sydney’s west and has family in the harbour city, which could put him on the radar of the Giants and Swans, albeit those clubs already own strong playing lists.

Former Swans great and current board member Michael O’Loughlin sought to help Thomas on a personal level at one stage by sourcing a job for the young footballer.

Thomas’ appeal will rest on his undoubted talent and also on the fact that he can simply be signed, without any trade or draft cost. But the clubs that consider him also will weigh up the potential risks.

North Melbourne decided to sack Thomas immediately on February 21 after the AFL found he had threatened a woman in direct messages multiple times, imposing an 18-match ban.

“The club has provided Tarryn with significant time, resources and support, but we’ve now arrived at a point where the individual’s needs don’t match those of the club,” North chief executive Jennifer Watt said.

“We know Tarryn needs help – for himself and for the women in his life – but it’s clear the path we’ve taken over the past 12 months hasn’t had the desired impact.

“To that end, we have made the decision to end Tarryn’s time at North Melbourne.

“This decision doesn’t come lightly or easily. We brought Tarryn to the club as a teenager and we acknowledge that he has faced complex and challenging circumstances over his life.

“We hope Tarryn will find the support that is right for him and that he does the work required to be the best version of himself.”

It is a measure of Thomas’s raw ability that he finished sixth in the Kangaroos’ best and fairest last year, despite playing only 12 of their 23 matches following an early season club suspension.
Words wouldn't be able to describe the disappointment if they bring him in

A wild thought…

Why on earth would you move Taylor out of Defence when Harry has kicked 161 goals in 155 games (with very few of those coming when he plays in defence)?

We also have Derksen & Gruzewski that could be blooded if need be.

If you are going to rob Peter to pay Paul, the obvious move is Himmleberg.

Words wouldn't be able to describe the disappointment if they bring him in
Agreed. If he manages a couple of years without * ups and spent his time in minor leagues working, sure. Walking straight back into an AFL club is nauseating and an example of what's worst about sports and their ability to pretend talent trumps everything.

While it is an enticing thought to get a talented player for not much (similar to Jesse Hogan), I just couldn't countenance overlooking Tarryn's crimes/flaws. Yes, redemption and second chances are worthy ideas, but IMHO the subject has to first demonstrate some remorse about what he's done, not just say he's sorry and then simply repeat the behaviour.

While it is an enticing thought to get a talented player for not much (similar to Jesse Hogan), I just couldn't countenance overlooking Tarryn's crimes/flaws. Yes, redemption and second chances are worthy ideas, but IMHO the subject has to first demonstrate some remorse about what he's done, not just say he's sorry and then simply repeat the behaviour.
Hogan and Tarryn faced completely different issues. Hogan faced the death of his father, consistent injuries, cancer, mental health issues and some issues with drinking however there was never concern of his character and whether he was a good person. Tarryn Thomas has done truly terrible things and the way he treated his partner was awful and I just couldn't imagine having to cheer for someone who threatened violence against his partner. Don't care what he does moving forward, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the team. There's things you get second chances for and being a terrible person isn't one of them. Imagine the type of message that sends to all the women in the GWS organisation that they think what he did was okay and they're happy to overlook those things because he's a talented player. I was really critical of North for keeping him around for so long after it was clear that there was very clear issues with his behavior and only after multiple issues did they do anything.

I agree with this.

Why on earth would you move Taylor out of Defence when Harry has kicked 161 goals in 155 games (with very few of those coming when he plays in defence)?

We also have Derksen & Gruzewski that could be blooded if need be.

If you are going to rob Peter to pay Paul, the obvious move is Himmleberg.
Harry is not a good contested mark at all. Hence why he plays that loose defender role.
He plays best as a second or third tall.
It won’t happen, just a thought exercise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Story by Jake Niall

Sydney Morning-Herald

I would terminate my membership on the spot.

VFL media will include him in our “pick 1s” when they whinge.

Can’t.

a) Pick 1 that year was Lachie Whitfield and they already count him.
b) Jack Martin was pick 1 in the mini-draft - Jesse was pick 2.

And just remember, for those picks we got Jono O’Rourke, Lachie Plowman & Aiden Corr - so, yay us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back