List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are no guarantees I can give you regards 10 vs 12. however Cam waited 12 months, a lot of players at Fitzroy waited 12 months after a reco ,my brother did a knee while training with the under 19’s at Fitzroy. Doctor told my brother he had to wait 12 months back then.He then had a further 2 reco’s after that. The point I am making with Doedee is that we picked him knowing he already had two knee recos,

In my opinion, knowing what the club knew, the more prudent decision would have been to play it safe and exercise extreme caution as the flags were there to begin with.(I was surprised the club even went with Doedee given his two reco’s , but that is just my opinion). With two reco’s the club should have gone down a more cautious approach just like Cam but even more so because of Doedee’s history. I am not doubting Doedee talent at all. I feel for Doedee because he is no doubt talented, only hope he recovers and makes a strong contribution to the Lions.

So to your question ,my personal opinion the longer the better with the disclaimer, that when it comes to knee injuries,anything can happen at anytime , no matter how long or how hard you train in your rehab.

Once you are cleared it doesn't matter. No difference between 10 and 12 or 14.

The silver lining behind this one is he will be ready for round 1 next year.

I believe we need to be looking for successors to Andrews and McKenna. Players who will be ready to go in two or three seasons.

Just my opinion, but I believe we need a successor to Cameron and Daniher in the squad asap.

I believe injuries are really going to impact Cameron, and probably shorten his career.

And I believe we’re missing 4 players from our midfield.

A quality winger, who’s good kick with endurance and pace, to replace Berry. That coul d be McCluggage if we change our midfield mix and game plan.

A proper big bodied mid on the bench. A player similar to Luke Davies-Uniack or Matthew Kennedy at Carlton.

A quality, ball hunting, athletic running mid similar to Chad Warner from Sydney.

And a ruck similar to Steph Martin, but a little taller. Mobile, athletic, able to play around the ground, and offer a target down the line.

Hmmmm. You arent as positive on here than as you post on the Eagles board about the Lions list Briz. Much more balanced. :thumbsu:

Father time spares no man. And the injury gods spares no club. Thats why predicting where clubs will be in 3 to 5 years time is full of uncertainties.

Once you are cleared it doesn't matter. No difference between 10 and 12 or 14.

The silver lining behind this one is he will be ready for round 1 next year.

Anything under 12 months isnt advised. 9 months you are pushing it.

A physio on the Eagles board posted a pretty detailed explination. Pushing to play 9 / 10 months after an ACL operation is risking the graft failing is what they explained.

He described clearing a player to play 9 months after the operation as borderline incompetence. Culley at the Eagles did an ACL 12 months ago. Reported to be ahead of schedule and looking super fit. Has not been cleared to play. Eagles have no need to rush him though.

Im sure there are examples of successful comebacks shorter than 12 months as well as failures.

Hmmmm. You arent as positive on here than as you post on the Eagles board about the Lions list Briz. Much more balanced. :thumbsu:

Father time spares no man. And the injury gods spares no club. Thats why predicting where clubs will be in 3 to 5 years time is full of uncertainties.

I remember when GWS looked like certainties to win a flag or two. Made one GF and got belted.

Anything under 12 months isnt advised. 9 months you are pushing it.

A physio on the Eagles board posted a pretty detailed explination. Pushing to play 9 / 10 months after an ACL operation is risking the graft failing is what they explained.

He described clearing a player to play 9 months after the operation as borderline incompetence. Culley at the Eagles did an ACL 12 months ago. Reported to be ahead of schedule and looking super fit. Has not been cleared to play. Eagles have no need to rush him though.

Im sure there are examples of successful comebacks shorter than 12 months as well as failures.

My understanding from orthopaedic surgeons that I know is that there has been a shift towards 10 months being the new 12 months in terms of return to sport post ACL repair.

My understanding from orthopaedic surgeons that I know is that there has been a shift towards 10 months being the new 12 months in terms of return to sport post ACL repair.

Yeah I think people need to remember there is a difference between a regular person doing an ACL and a full time athlete. Recovery times do vary.

What do we think of his chances with 3 Recos ?

It must be devastating for him.

I suppose the only course of action now is to give him as long as possible.

Has it been confirmed he needs a third reco? A partial tear generally doesn't is my understanding. Not sure if it's a reinjured full rupture, though.

What do we think of his chances with 3 Recos ?

It must be devastating for him.

I suppose the only course of action now is to give him as long as possible.
Not great; can’t think of one at our club that even got back to playing seniors let alone getting back to half of what they were; Pat Garner, Cal Bartlett and one or two others that really escape me.

Doedee sounds like a really nice fella and I do wish he’d have been able to contribute on field with the club but this one will be a bust through no fault of anyone - even that depends if it comes out that he was rushed back to soon by doctor or player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has it been confirmed he needs a third reco? A partial tear generally doesn't is my understanding. Not sure if it's a reinjured full rupture, though.
Was confirmed the other day he would have a reco. Might’ve been by Fages. I posted the link in one of the threads, dunno where, sorry.

10-month 12-month off who knows.
Common sense would dictate the more recovery time the better though.

I bet the club will now be very cautious in regard to Will Ashcrofts return date.

But it might be 0.1% less chance.

Could sit out 2 years and have less chance of reinjury

Just depends on the risk you wanna take

Was confirmed the other day he would have a reco. Might’ve been by Fages. I posted the link in one of the threads, dunno where, sorry.
I remember Fages in the post match almost shed a tear when Doedee came up and he was tight lipped.

I'm a bit sad about the whole thing too. Especially for Tom who is obviously a good player.

10-month 12-month off who knows.
Common sense would dictate the more recovery time the better though.

I bet the club will now be very cautious in regard to Will Ashcrofts return date.

At some point you do eventually need to balance out being able to actually return to compete at a high level (if that's the long term goal). No point taking 18 months off then starting to work back to getting to AFL level.

Doedee re-injured his ACL near the end of a session before a game, so I imagine it wasn't anything particularly strenuous.

In the last decade or so, we've had pretty good success bringing players back to full training after 10 months or so, though admittedly no one who previously had another ACL. Rich, Rayner, Hipwood and Close come to mind.

Something doesn’t smell right with Will’s recovery. Gut says not all is going to plan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knee injuries are not linear. Recovery ebbes and flows and ultimately can't be rushed. Contrary to popular belief, the club won't bring him back in 9, 10 or 12 months unless every possible checkbox has been ticked. It isn't easy when you're eager to get back. Will will be right in time.

Something doesn’t smell right with Will’s recovery. Gut says not all is going to plan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is only 8 months in. Surgery was basically at start of August. So he is still 2-4 months off under normal timeframes.

Given the amount of money in them I tend to view American sports as being the cutting edge of sports science and medicine (well, some teams). There's been a lot more ten month returns in the last few years there to the point where I thought it had become the new standard, i.e. if you do it in the first month of the season you'll be playing Round 1.

To be fair, all my posts on your board were from before the season started and we forgot how to football.

And they were often replying to you or someone else asking a question, and more than a few about the academy might have been me poking you with a stick.

Back