List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know anything about this guy?

Consistently kicks two goals a game.

Blight might be the more interesting one for us, can replace Joyce at the end of the season potentially.

Anyone know anything about this guy?

Here's the Brisbane related parts of the article

RECOVERING LION SET TO PLAY ON

Injured Lion Lincoln McCarthy will play on next season after the club recently reached a one-year agreement with the forward’s management group in the lead-up to his season-ending knee injury last weekend.

It comes as the Lions have applied the brakes on Will Ashcroft’s AFL return, taking a slightly more conservative approach to his return from a knee reconstruction following five ACLs suffered since late last season, including two last weekend.

McCarthy’s new deal has not been officially announced, but Moneyball can reveal the deal was agreed upon in recent weeks with the Lions more than happy to honour it given the great service he has given the club since moving north from Geelong.

McCarthy, 30, was the first of two Lions to do their ACLs – Darcy Gardiner was the other – in last Sunday’s clash with Gold Coast, ending his season in the final year of his current deal.

McCarthy has barely missed a game in his six seasons with the Lions after he struggled to get much of a look in during his time with the Cats.

His last six years at the Lions have comprised 122 games and 142 goals from an overall tally of 151 games and 167 goals, with teammates convinced he has plenty of good footy left.

The Lions were already taking a conservative approach with Ashcroft’s return, but will likely now ensure that he waits until 12 months on from the injury he suffered in round 19 last year.

Ashcroft is tracking well with the club delighted with the way he has been able to ramp up his movement and running, but the Lions want to ensure he is ready to perform to his best on his AFL return.

They have not spoken to Gabba officials, saying they believe the ACL injuries have been bad luck rather than anything to do with the ground.

LIONS SEARCH FOR INJURY REPLACEMENTS

Brisbane has four vacancies in a mid-season draft pool recruiters have described as “light on” for top-end talent following the success of the supplemental selection period.

The fallout from Brisbane’s massive injury toll has continued with two more season-ending ACL injuries at the weekend opening up two more list spots.

It has sent Brisbane’s recruiting team into overdrive with the club scouring the country for potential players to fill the club’s four open list spots.

Small forward Lincoln McCarthy and key forward Darcy Gardiner are both out for the season after suffering serious injuries in the win over Gold Coast.

But recruiters are saying this year’s pool is shallow due to clubs’ strong record at finding AFL players in the SSP periods in the lead-up to the season.

Collingwood’s Jack Hutchison is widely touted as the top prospect however North Melbourne could be tempted to take West Perth key forward Jasper Scaife or Peel Thunder defender Jacob Blight to bolster their big man options.

Richmond (pick two) and Hawthorn (pick three) have also been linked to a tall player and have done work on Hutchinson who has set alight the Pies’ forward half with his aerial skills and goal kicker power.

Geelong Falcons 203cm ruckman Joe Pike and ex-Port Adelaide mature-age Brynn Teakle, who trained at Collingwood over summer, are the leading ruck options.

Essendon livewire Oskar Smart is also on clubs’ radars after an impressive start to the season with the Bombers.

Adelaide has three vacancies but may not fill them all, while GWS Giants, who passed on their mid-season pick last year, are not expected to take one this year.

I’m all for giving people a chance to rehabilitate themselves, but I can’t conceive what Thomas would have to do, in his relatively short time out of football, to demonstrate that he has understood the issues with his behaviour and permanently changed.

I hope in his non football life he turns things around, but there should be no easy path back just because he is a talented footballer.

Regardless of my poor response to recruiting Thomas, you can't get him in the mid season draft anyway. He's on NM's list that's lodged with the AFL until the end of the season, despite being sacked.
Thats correct
Dillon mentioned this at the 11-minute mark of this interview.

I would be looking for a player that can play that small forward role over a tall.
We have a few talls we can try in Morris, Smith, Ryan & Fort.
At this stage of our injury issues i would not be against trialing Joyce as a marking forward.
These players at least know the gameplan and how their teammates operate on the field.

Brain played forward before moving to defense where he is now playing well.
He has learned enough defensive skills now to possibly be a solid pressure forward with some goals thrown in.
If we can't fit him into our defense maybe send him forward again in the VFL and see how he goes.

Is it possible to have Lions Academy prospects who would normally be in the preseason draft nominate early in this mid season draft? Do Academy draft concessions apply?

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As far as I'm aware - the ones from last year who didn't get drafted and are still playing in reserves for us is Billy Richardson and Bradley McDonald. Both KPPs, not our area of need currently.

I would be looking for a player that can play that small forward role over a tall.
I agree, but are you just referring to looking closer at our current listed players, or the MSD? It's easy enough to draft Ben Thomas from our VFL team onto the senior list to cover small forward.

We have a few talls we can try in Morris, Smith, Ryan & Fort.
At this stage of our injury issues i would not be against trialing Joyce as a marking forward.
Why? We have plenty of tall forwards, we lack tall defenders. Are you proposing Ryan, Fort, Lane or Smith move to defence instead of Joyce?

Looking through the list and who missed out

Nathan Philactides (in Boxhill Hawks)
State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Blackburn
Date of Birth: 10/01/05
Height: 179cm

A left-footed defender with an athletics background who was once ranked top-five in the world in the 400m hurdles among his age group. It was no surprise when he posted a quick time of 7.9 seconds in the agility test during pre-season testing. Had a consistent year playing all four games for Victoria Metro and 11 matches with the Oakleigh Chargers where he averaged 19.3 disposals and 4.8 rebound 50s. A shoulder injury prevented him from showcasing his dazzling speed during physical testing at the Draft Combine.

Cam Nyko (I think this kid is in Essendon VFL)
State League Club: Eastern Ranges
Community Club: Healesville
Date of Birth: 25/11/05

A medium defender who gains meterage for his team with his dazzling speed and penetrating left-foot kicking. These traits were on in all four games he played for Victoria Metro at the National Championships. Makes good decisions with the ball and is often given the responsibility of kicking in for his team as well as being an important connector. Averaged 19.9 disposals (8.5 contested) and 10 handball receives for the Eastern Ranges in nine Coates Talent League matches before injuring both shoulders which brought his season to an early end.

Kobe Shipp (plays for Casey Demons now, kicking under pressure appears to be a bit iffy)
State: Victoria Country
State League Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Community Club: Beaconsfield
Date of Birth: 12/05/05
Height: 187cm

Backs himself with his aggressive attack on the ball and is a solid interceptor both overhead and at ground level. Courageous and a one-touch player he showed excellent composure playing all four matches for Victoria Country at the National Championships. Averaged an impressive 23.4 disposals, 5.5 marks and 5.2 rebound 50s across 11 matches for the Dandenong Stingrays in the Coates Talent League this year. Is the son of former AFL player Andrew Shipp who played 35 games for Fremantle.

Looking through the list and who missed out

Nathan Philactides (in Boxhill Hawks)
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Blackburn
Date of Birth: 10/01/05

A left-footed defender with an athletics background who was once ranked top-five in the world in the 400m hurdles among his age group. It was no surprise when he posted a quick time of 7.9 seconds in the agility test during pre-season testing. Had a consistent year playing all four games for Victoria Metro and 11 matches with the Oakleigh Chargers where he averaged 19.3 disposals and 4.8 rebound 50s. A shoulder injury prevented him from showcasing his dazzling speed during physical testing at the Draft Combine.

Cam Nyko (I think this kid is in Essendon VFL)
State League Club: Eastern Ranges
Community Club: Healesville
Date of Birth: 25/11/05

A medium defender who gains meterage for his team with his dazzling speed and penetrating left-foot kicking. These traits were on in all four games he played for Victoria Metro at the National Championships. Makes good decisions with the ball and is often given the responsibility of kicking in for his team as well as being an important connector. Averaged 19.9 disposals (8.5 contested) and 10 handball receives for the Eastern Ranges in nine Coates Talent League matches before injuring both shoulders which brought his season to an early end.

Kobe Shipp (plays for Casey Demons now, kicking under pressure appears to be a bit iffy)
State: Victoria Country
State League Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Community Club: Beaconsfield
Date of Birth: 12/05/05
Height: 187cm

Backs himself with his aggressive attack on the ball and is a solid interceptor both overhead and at ground level. Courageous and a one-touch player he showed excellent composure playing all four matches for Victoria Country at the National Championships. Averaged an impressive 23.4 disposals, 5.5 marks and 5.2 rebound 50s across 11 matches for the Dandenong Stingrays in the Coates Talent League this year. Is the son of former AFL player Andrew Shipp who played 35 games for Fremantle.
I like the sound of Philactides and Nyko... I am still on the Frank Szekely bandwagon though.

I like the sound of Philactides and Nyko... I am still on the Frank Szekely bandwagon though.
Compromise Shrug GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but are you just referring to looking closer at our current listed players, or the MSD? It's easy enough to draft Ben Thomas from our VFL team onto the senior list to cover small forward.

Why? We have plenty of tall forwards, we lack tall defenders. Are you proposing Ryan, Fort, Lane or Smith move to defence instead of Joyce?
There is no one in the Lions VFL i would take in the MSD.
In my opinion no VFL player would get a game at AFL level. Certainly not this year.

We need to bring into the club a player/players they believe will have a good chance to make our team now.

We did not have a ready-made tall forward hence Gardiner thrown into that role.
Before opening round, we had Joyce and Gardiner (or Payne if you like) as spares in defense.

Not sure how you thought i was proposing Ryan, Fort or Smith move to defense and I did not mention Lane it was Morris.
Those 4 all play forward or ruck/forward.
I just mentioned Joyce as another alternative to try forward in the VFL as it's not guaranteed Morris, or the others will fit in.

We are short on ready to play tall forwards and defenders, but forwards are the present issue.
But as i said in the original post a small forward i would take as our first pick if a suitable player available.

In my opinion no VFL player would get a game at AFL level. Certainly not this year.

We need to bring into the club a player/players they believe will have a good chance to make our team now.
There are going to be very few of those in the MSD. I'd suggest lowering your expectations.

And now we have Morris who has debuted, and Ryan back from his early season injury, so things have changed.

Not sure how you thought i was proposing Ryan, Fort or Smith move to defense and I did not mention Lane it was Morris.
They do, so I'm confused why you're suggesting clogging the forward line still further by moving Joyce up there. Surely we have enough talls who have shown they're capable of playing up forward already.

I just mentioned Joyce as another alternative to try forward in the VFL as it's not guaranteed Morris, or the others will fit in.
So who plays KPD if Joyce goes forward? That's what I was getting at. Unless you're suggesting he not be replaced with another tall down back, it necessarily means one of the players I mentioned has to vacate their time in the forward line so they can fill the hole that Joyce leaves down back.

We are short on ready to play tall forwards and defenders, but forwards are the present issue.
But Joyce isn't ready to play up forward. As far as I understand, he hasn't played there at all for us since he got here. Ryan has, so I'd consider him more ready to play as a forward.

But as i said in the original post a small forward i would take as our first pick if a suitable player available.
I agree.

Sounds like we're drafting HoF philosophers now.

I think you just have to go for talent in the MSD given the talent pool is quite slim

Would be targeting a young small forward though who could play this season. I like Hagan because he has potential to play other roles but he is on the short and slow side for a small forward. I think a third tall defender would be useful too or a mobile taller key back because the depth isn't great with Dizzy and Doedee done for the year

Always need additional ruckman and if they are fair easy to trade

Big O - 2026
Fort - 2025
Henry Smith - 2026
Kalin Lane - 2024

That's a lot of rucks already. We won't need one until Lane gets delisted.

Before opening round, we had Joyce and Gardiner (or Payne if you like) as spares in defense.

I reckon Riley Greene could adjust to the pace of AFL.

Sometimes if feels like we scrutinize too hard and look out more for the weaknesses may be. I remember in this forum even 2 weeks ago there was hesitation to debut Reville saying he hasn't shown enough yet.

May be we have some good reserves players who can go to the next level with the right opportunity when we play them to their strengths. I just hope there are hidden gems out there and we can find them too just like other clubs are doing.

Back