List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You would imagine that would mean Berry would stay too and honestly, I thought he was done. I'm eating my words, he's found a second life playing inside mid.

But it will be interesting how we fit all of Cluggs, Neale, Berry, Fletcher, Sharp, WAshcroft, LAshcroft, Marshall, Reville and Rayner into midfield and I'm sure I am forgetting someone/s. Nice problem to have.

Looking through the list of all players who have nominated for the MSD, some notable names from the Lions VFL >

Taj Abberley, Kyle Dunkley, Riley Greene, Liam Hude, Jacob Lohmann, Jack Manly, Billy Richardson.

Rhys Mathieson, Connor McFadyen also nominated along with my favourite Frank Szekely who was one of the very few who nominated a longer term contract.

Looking through the list of all players who have nominated for the MSD, some notable names from the Lions VFL >

Taj Abberley, Kyle Dunkley, Riley Greene, Liam Hude, Jacob Lohmann, Jack Manly, Billy Richardson.

Rhys Mathieson, Connor McFadyen also nominated along with my favourite Frank Szekely who was one of the very few who nominated a longer term contract.

Matho nominated? Hope they don’t drug test him lmao

Two questions...

I thought Tim English was the "most in demand" free agent. Did he already re-sign with the Bulldogs?

And also, why is Tim Watson wearing goggles?

Promising news about Hugh 🙂
Whoever is the most in demand free agent is purely dependent on who they need to write an article about at that given point in time - duh!

BRISBANE LIONS

Available list spots prior to Round 11: 4

No other club can potentially make as many picks as the Lions, who have four vacant list spots following season-ending knee injuries suffered by Tom Doedee, Keidean Coleman, Lincoln McCarthy and Darcy Gardiner.

While Brisbane can make as many as four selections, it’s expected the Lions will have at least two, possibly three, vacant list spots next Wednesday. It’s understood the Lions will meet later this week in Melbourne to determine the exact number of picks they’ll take into the draft.

The Lions had been keen to bring ex-Giant turned Lions development coach Daniel Lloyd onto their list in the wake of McCarthy’s injury. But AFL rules state a prospect must have played at least three state league games to be taken in the mid-season draft. Lloyd will play for the Lions’ VFL side this weekend, but it’ll only be his second state-league match of the year after he booted 3.2 from 17 disposals and six marks in an impressive outing against Casey. For the Lions to have their Lloyd wish granted, they’d require approval from the AFL to make him eligible to play in the back-end of the season.

If Lloyd can’t be taken, the Lions could turn to a couple of dynamic forwards from the Coates Talent League in their 19th year. Geelong Falcons’ Will McLachlan (181cm) has booted 20.8 from five games to sit atop the competition’s goalkicking table, while Tassie’s Geordie Payne (184cm) has kicked 12 goals in a new role inside 50 with stints on the ball. Oskar Smartt from Essendon’s VFL side and North Adelaide pressure forward Kelsey Rypstra are other options.

One player rival clubs expect the Lions to consider is 23-year-old Kyle Dunkley — the brother of current Brisbane star Josh Dunkley — who’s halfway through his second season with the Lions’ VFL team. The younger Dunkley was taken by Melbourne in the 2019 mid-season draft and played five games before being delisted at the end of 2020. Since then the 185cm utility has played VFL footy for Essendon, Northern Bullants and Brisbane.

Considering the absences of Doedee and Gardiner and the fact Brandon Starcevich (calf) remains on the shelf, do the Lions opt for a key-position bookend? 199cm Sandringham Dragons defender Lachie Voss would be an option,

Former Magpie Trent Bianco could be another the Lions look at after his excellent start to the VFL season for Footscray.
Seeing as our first MSD pick will be falling down the order now that we're winning games again, there's little chance we're going to get Payne, McLachlan or Smartt, which is a pity because I like what Smartt could bring to us. I think we're more likely to end up with Rypstra. Doubt we'd bother with Voss in the MSD given he won't play seniors this year and we have plenty of academy talls to consider in the next year or two.

I notice Ben Thomas is there too. If one of the top small forwards doesn't make it to our first pick, I wouldn't mind using a later pick on Thomas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, he is reporting to a Melbourne TV station.
True, but he also reported it on the national coverage of the Dogs v Swans game and it’s not like there aren’t lots of supporters of all interstate teams in Melbourne particularly Lions and Swans given there past.

What i have noticed however is this recent narrative, which I guess always sits under the surface, is this increasing divide between Victorian and interstate clubs with Victorian clubs whinging a lot lately on the supposed advantages interstate clubs have be it home state advantage, northern academies, Gather Round while ignoring their even bigger advantages of copious amounts of home games, preferential fixturing, often cases of big Victorian clubs getting armchair rides into finals by not leaving Victoria or playing outside of their home ground for 8-10 consecutive weeks and then this constant advantage of the GF always being played at the MCG.

Taj Abberley has played a lot of solid footballl for us in the vfl, doesn’t rate a mention anywhere. I guess he is seen as being a little too short and light to be in contention. Pity he always puts in.

I can’t see the value of upgrading a player on the vfl supplimentary list unless they are almost certain to demand a game. While Dunkley is a handy vfl player, I would have him behind Robertson, Tunstill and Lyons.

I am thinking anyone picked in the MSD is unlikely to play a lot of afl, particularly third or fourth round. So in reality they will be strenghting the vfl group this year. Given the need for draft picks for points, I can’t see the value in selecting a long term development type.

Taj Abberley has played a lot of solid footballl for us in the vfl, doesn’t rate a mention anywhere. I guess he is seen as being a little too short and light to be in contention. Pity he always puts in.

I can’t see the value of upgrading a player on the vfl supplimentary list unless they are almost certain to demand a game. While Dunkley is a handy vfl player, I would have him behind Robertson, Tunstill and Lyons.

I am thinking anyone picked in the MSD is unlikely to play a lot of afl, particularly third or fourth round. So in reality they will be strenghting the vfl group this year. Given the need for draft picks for points, I can’t see the value in selecting a long term development type.

Guessing/hoping whoever wrote that was making a big assumption on Dunkley.

Can't see him adding any value

Simple, it's cheap depth if we get more injuries from the best 22. Those players don't have to move states and are already familiar with the club so there's probably less of a culture shock and adaptation period too. And there's no need to feel guilty for making them move states and then culling them from the list after six months.

Maybe just one if they're very impressive and expected to go high. I'd be fine with the club drafting Oskar Smartt, Will McLachlan or Jack Hutchinson.

If we purely go for depth options who we with pretty good confidence believe could play a role in the seniors if we cop some midfield injuries Boyd Woodcock would be ok for the rest of 2024.

If we are looking at filling one of our 2-4 spots with someone with upside Riley Greene would be the one who has the most potential from our VFL side IMO, been unlucky with injury and given a good run at it could have Reville/Brain like impact.

Walyalup (Fremantle) are one of a number of clubs interested in the son of former player Matthew Carr, but in a sensational move, the South Fremantle youngster isn’t going to nominate.

Jaren Carr is believed to have impressed several recruiters while playing for the WAFL under-21 side against Western Australia’s under-18 team last weekend.

The West Australian understands the 20-year-old attracted strong interest from the Dockers, where his father played 134 games — alongside his Uncle Josh — and Brisbane this week.
But in a remarkable move, the forward isn’t going to nominate for the draft and instead will concentrate on his university studies and playing consistent league football for South Fremantle.

He will also back himself to be picked up in the national draft in November, preferring to lock away a long-term future rather than be on a short-term contract through the mid-season draft.
Carr, a 191cm, 78kg forward, made his debut for the Bulldogs earlier this season and has impressed in his three games as a mobile half-forward averaging 13 disposals and five marks.

Someone to keep an eye on for the end of season draft. I would have thought we wouldn't be interested in young third tall forwards after drafting Morris and Lloyd, but perhaps we're just after talent wherever it is. Apparently at colts level he played on the wing and in midfield.

Someone to keep an eye on for the end of season draft. I would have thought we wouldn't be interested in young third tall forwards after drafting Morris and Lloyd, but perhaps we're just after talent wherever it is. Apparently at colts level he played on the wing and in midfield.

Yep, just keep doing a GWS model. They kept loading up with midfield bull talent regardless of their existing players and kept cashing out later when other clubs came knocking looking for a trade.

It helped with the constant re-loading of top end talent to the point they were able to go pinch Cadman at pick 1. He looks pretty promising so far, will be scary when he fills out in the next 2-3 years.

Yep, just keep doing a GWS model. They kept loading up with midfield bull talent regardless of their existing players and kept cashing out later when other clubs came knocking looking for a trade.

It helped with the constant re-loading of top end talent to the point they were able to go pinch Cadman at pick 1. He looks pretty promising so far, will be scary when he fills out in the next 2-3 years.
Part of the reason GWS got the high pick to let them trade up for pick 1 was because their midfield was so unbalanced with ball winning crap disposal players that they had deficiencies elsewhere and had to play real midfield players like Kelly and Coniglio out of the middle because someone like Hopper really couldn't play anywhere else. It only works as a model if you're keen to have some awful efforts in the meantime.

Part of the reason GWS got the high pick to let them trade up for pick 1 was because their midfield was so unbalanced with ball winning crap disposal players that they had deficiencies elsewhere and had to play real midfield players like Kelly and Coniglio out of the middle because someone like Hopper really couldn't play anywhere else. It only works as a model if you're keen to have some awful efforts in the meantime.

We have Dev if that mens anything. At least we train our players in multiple positions so he does alright at half forward.

Yep, the ability to win the ball is rated so highly that the crap disposal seems to be morphed along the way getting some good returns on trade table.

Back