List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the first time the Charlie thing has popped up over the last few weeks. Cal is generally on the money too, so I wouldn’t say it’s nothing.

Would be a hard decision for the club to weigh up though. Said previously it wouldn’t just solely be a decision on field, given how valuable he is to us off field. Having said that only the club would know if his form is trending down permanently or if there’s something else going on and, if sorted,will hopefully bounce back.

Last edited:
I think we would regret him leaving if it happened, Charlie is turning 30 soon but could have 3-4 very good years left in him, I look at it as similar to Eddie Betts who in his first year going from the Blues to Crows turned 28 and had 6 very good years as a Crow.

You don't get your hands on too many Charlie Cameron level talents, looking at their career stats Charlie and Eddie have very similar stats, both averaging 1.8 goals and 3.0 tackles per game over their careers.

Yep, I dont think we have seen the end of Charlie Cameron. Could very well be some more 50+ goal years yet.

trading out your veterans for pennies on the dollar is how you end up like north melbourne. id much rather 3-4 more years of cameron than whatever we would get for him in a trade. ditto for neale.
Not sure if we'll have the choice.

I think we would regret him leaving if it happened, Charlie is turning 30 soon but could have 3-4 very good years left in him, I look at it as similar to Eddie Betts who in his first year going from the Blues to Crows turned 28 and had 6 very good years as a Crow.

You don't get your hands on too many Charlie Cameron level talents, looking at their career stats Charlie and Eddie have very similar stats, both averaging 1.8 goals and 3.0 tackles per game over their careers.

Letting Charlie go would be giving up on this team basically. No replacement at all on the list, none likely to be found in the draft, and I agree with others that its really just kicking holding him back now.

Watching live yesterday he seemed just as athletic/agile as ever and had shaken off whatever had bothered him earlier in the season.

If a player does want to go, I'd do it when they still have a year to go on the contract you'll get more in return, but I doubt Charlie wants to go.
club probably will (and has a good reason to) think we have a premiership quality list heading into 2025.... wouldnt be letting go of one of the most important pieces no matter what offer is coming in

To think that a player would jump ship because we're having an off year to date is pretty extreme. We're playing pretty average but we're a good side, and a good club. That doesn't change in six months.
May be not about club. The off season thing has caused enough mess already with WAGs involved and so on. If players go, its due to external factors in my view. Can't blame the club for this one.

Yep, I dont think we have seen the end of Charlie Cameron. Could very well be some more 50+ goal years yet.

Charlie also puts bums in seats in Brisbane where there’s always more fair weather and casual fans. He’s 100% our most marketable player in that regard and losing him to another club would be terrible.

To think that a player would jump ship because we're having an off year to date is pretty extreme.
Not interested in this part of your post.
We're playing pretty average but we're a good side, and a good club. That doesn't change in six months.
I’m having problems with the highlighted section, and then what you’ve said after.

Something has changed in the last 6 months, for us to be playing below average football.

It might just be injuries, but I believe there’s something else contributing to our poor performances.

What that is, I have no idea, but somethings wrong amongst the playing group, imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m having problems with the highlighted section, and then what you’ve said after.

Something has changed in the last 6 months, for us to be playing below average football.

It might just be injuries, but I believe there’s something else contributing to our poor performances.

What that is, I have no idea, but somethings wrong amongst the playing group, imo.
** Not interested in this part of your post **

Edit: Yeah, I am, just playing around Briz.

Charlie also puts bums in seats in Brisbane where there’s always more fair weather and casual fans. He’s 100% our most marketable player in that regard and losing him to another club would be terrible.
I think it’s safe to say if, and it’s only an if at this stage obviously, but if Charlie asks to be traded, then whatever went on and between whom did far more damage on relationships then has been let on.

You would argue Charlie ‘has been’ Brisbane for the best part of 5 years, even with the success we have had, he’s the one (& Lachie) everyone talks about when mentioning Brisbane.

Could be anything. Clubs and teams are full of a lot of people. We know that members of the 2001 - 2003 Lions squads didn't like each other. The Australian cricket team had players that didn't like each other. Sometimes you can work together despite differences & other times it gets harder I guess.

club probably will (and has a good reason to) think we have a premiership quality list heading into 2025.... wouldnt be letting go of one of the most important pieces no matter what offer is coming in

Fair point, but it's a big risk, especially if the need to move is of a personal nature.

Fair point, but it's a big risk, especially if the need to move is of a personal nature.

Obviously a consideration. Once again though, this is not the trade period to be getting additional picks - and I don’t see anyone else on the market worth giving Charlie up for.

Most likely to me - he and his agent want another good contract before he retires and it’s a good time to put a bit of pressure out there on the club to start talks. The money side of it is underreported, unless it is slagging off long-term deals.

Wouldn't worry about Charlie. He did this when he was 18 months from being out of contract last time too:

Essendon legend Tim Watson believes contract speculation around Charlie Cameron is “not kite-flying”, claiming trade history suggests the Brisbane star would be “prepared to move again if the deal was right”.

Cameron is contracted until the end of 2021, but talks on his next deal are reportedly at “a bit of an impasse”.

7 News Melbourne reported on Monday night that Cameron was willing to request a trade to a Victorian-based club this year if he couldn’t get a suitable new deal in Brisbane.

Weren’t they saying the same last time he was out of contract?

Pretty textbook manipulation of the media by his manager

Just looked it up and his manager at the start of his career was Coling Young - so yeah, assuming Young is still his manager this is indeed textbook.

Young has never been shy about negotiating through the media (he loves the attention).

Letting Charlie go would be giving up on this team basically. No replacement at all on the list, none likely to be found in the draft, and I agree with others that its really just kicking holding him back now.

Watching live yesterday he seemed just as athletic/agile as ever and had shaken off whatever had bothered him earlier in the season.
Warning: The following post is purely hypothetical spitballing.

Undoubtedly it would be very, very hard to find a like for like replacement for Cameron, but we don't necessarily have to.

If Cameron and McCarthy weren't able to start next season, for whatever reason, we could still start the season with a small forward and half forward quartet of Cal Ah Chee, Kia Lohmann, Zac Bailey and Levi Ashcroft.

We could look to change up how our forward six operate, actually learn how to create space for forwards to lead in to, instead of bombing balls on to our tall forwards heads. Heaven knows, there would be hours of footage of Geelong's forward set up to learn from.

It's still possible to find lightening fast smalls in the rookie draft (even the MSD) and work with them over four or five years, to develop their forward craft.

Remember Cameron was a rookie pick, and his role in his early career was to play the defensive forward role, kicking goals was always a bonus for him.

Back