Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not a fan of the Gather round jerseys.

But I suppose the club milks money from it fot extra revenue for a 1 off game. So it benefits the club commercially.

I like the fact we are colour Purple and it's different to the rest of the competition. It's why I chose Freo as a kid to support in the AFL.

Awesome analysis from this guy.
Yeah, I really like his blog. The best part is the way he marks-up short clips to illustrate his points. I'd definitely subscribe if he were analysing Freo games every week.

Would also recommend reading his thoughts on Collingwood (and Richmond) from Rd 1.

Yeah. That Shinboner bloke's a freak. When he did the analysis of our third-quarter turnaround he focused on the stoppage which Slayshaw kicked a goal from. The commentary highlighted the work of Switta coming in to make space for Slayshaw but the Shinboner bloke highlighted the couple of feints and darts Slayshaw had made to peel off from his man such that Switta could run on to him and take him. The whole bit of play was excellent and something the casual observer could throughly be excused for not seeing.

But the best part was him highlighting how North set up to defend in two lines and how our careful ball use coming out, while the forwards pushed back, left a ******* great big hole foir us to work in.

Excellent stuff.

Yeah. That Shinboner bloke's a freak. When he did the analysis of our third-quarter turnaround he focused on the stoppage which Slayshaw kicked a goal from. The commentary highlighted the work of Switta coming in to make space for Slayshaw but the Shinboner bloke highlighted the couple of feints and darts Slayshaw had made to peel off from his man such that Switta could run on to him and take him. The whole bit of play was excellent and something the casual observer could throughly be excused for not seeing.

But the best part was him highlighting how North set up to defend in two lines and how our careful ball use coming out, while the forwards pushed back, left a ******* great big hole foir us to work in.

Excellent stuff.
I was stunned that that Brayshaw goal didn't get a nom for GOTW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's like these journo's choose from the dartboard of cliches from East Coast lackeys. (who barely watch Freo play).
1. Melbourne had a problem with Grundy and Gawn, so Jackson will have a problem with Darcy and Jackson. Ah nah, Jackson is a very different player than Grundy. Is far more dangerous forward than him, and way more versatile than either Grundy or Gawn - who were basically two rucks.
2. Ah, yeah, um, I've somehow got to fill up this article so let's bring up the third quarter of the Melbourne Grand Final again, where Jackson dominated.
3. Could spending too much time forwards (get a decent copy editor mate) be a waste of his talent? There's every chance he will kick 40-50 goals if predominately forward, and, more importantly, will take a really good defender away from Jye Amiss and Treacy.
4. If Darcy and Jackson play the same position, is that a waste, given salary cap ramifications? They don't have to play the same position mate, and have vastly different skills. That is the point.

I reckon everybody is missing something in this now very popular Darcy / Jackson narrative:

Would each player individually perform statistically superiorly playing 85% first ruck and 15% bench being chopped out by a forward? Yes. But is it best for the team? Not nessicarily

Based on the proviso, which I think reasonable people have to accept, the Darcy wasn't just an asset we could liquidate for full value, then the right thing to do is have their rotations set to allow maximum output to team benefit. Obviously these would change depending on match ups and match situation, but something near Darcy 65% first ruck, 15% forward, 20% bench v Jackson 35% first ruck, 35% forward 15% on ball 15% bench would provide a lot of flexibility and maximum impact on the contest for the entire match.

I can also imagine a tactical situation where Jackson plays a large % forward but it's one where the extra 5% on the bench both of them playing can provide allows him to push up to stoppages and then run back creating a mis-match either way*.

*If a key goes with him they can't compete at the stoppage, if they swap to a mid then they can't compete running back the other way.

Last edited:
Jackson had a winning game in the GF - seems like they all refer to that as THE template.

But that was with Gawn! Why are we not allowed to try the same thing with Darcy?! Like someone said, have the discussion, but also the discussion about how it COULD work. Like Jackson and Gawn in the grand final that they all love to refer to. Bet Melbourne would have been happy to keep Jackson and play him how we intend to play him AND Gawn and the media wouldn’t have said a word 🙄

Yeah, I really like his blog. The best part is the way he marks-up short clips to illustrate his points. I'd definitely subscribe if he were analysing Freo games every week.

Would also recommend reading his thoughts on Collingwood (and Richmond) from Rd 1.

For those on Twitter, well worth a follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back