Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackson had a winning game in the GF - seems like they all refer to that as THE template.

But that was with Gawn! Why are we not allowed to try the same thing with Darcy?! Like someone said, have the discussion, but also the discussion about how it COULD work. Like Jackson and Gawn in the grand final that they all love to refer to. Bet Melbourne would have been happy to keep Jackson and play him how we intend to play him AND Gawn and the media wouldn’t have said a word 🙄
So much this. Every time that 3rd quarter is brought up in the why Darcy and Dogga won't work is a massive facepalm.

Gawn and Grundy (which before the 2023 season started was supposed to be the best combo in the AFL according to journalists) would never have happened if Jackson hadn't left. Gawn and Jackson would be being lauded for how revolutionary it was and how it was changing the game.

The media in general severely underrates Swaggy, he is close to the best pure ruckman going around but they behave like he is journeyman level like a Tom Hickey.

Gawn is more effective forward than Swaggy but that was actually worse for Dogga. Part of the reason some of us doubted Dogga's price was that he had no consistent demonstrated forward ability. That has to at least be attributed to Melbourne being more likely to cycle Gawn forward.

The combination of Swaggy and Dogga has the potential to reach heights that Gawn and Jackson may never have.

Do journos not get tired of asking the same questions over and over again? Every single player or coach interview from the past two weeks has started with a question of slow starts, and that’s on top of that question being asked a thousand times over last year. And it’s the same answer every time.

Do journos not get tired of asking the same questions over and over again? Every single player or coach interview from the past two weeks has started with a question of slow starts, and that’s on top of that question being asked a thousand times over last year. And it’s the same answer every time.
Too many people covering the game is the issue. Most have no insights or analytical skills so just comment on another punters comments.

I’ve said this before but if we’re in a cold, wet slog over winter I know which ruck I want contesting the constant ball ups & which one I want roaming around outside and up forward.
Darcy is built for constant smashing in close & Dogga for ground ball & forward craft.

That Shinboner analysis is great. I really took notice of the mix of mids we used against Brisbane & when we were smashing them it was always Fyfe & Serong plus Young or Brayshaw. When Fyfe was subbed they started getting on top again. Johnson went in & we won the next center clearance.

I’ve said this before but if we’re in a cold, wet slog over winter I know which ruck I want contesting the constant ball ups & which one I want roaming around outside and up forward.
Darcy is built for constant smashing in close & Dogga for ground ball & forward craft.

That Shinboner analysis is great. I really took notice of the mix of mids we used against Brisbane & when we were smashing them it was always Fyfe & Serong plus Young or Brayshaw. When Fyfe was subbed they started getting on top again. Johnson went in & we won the next center clearance.
Agree not enough has been said in relation to having Fyfey fit and firing. He’s still the Bull and demands attention. Allows the others to be a bit more attacking.

And the Jordan Clark trade is quickly becoming one of our all time best deals.
He just keeps getting better every game, and absolute steel for a mid 20’s pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I especially like it because we held back the MJ pick, which was probably correct weight.

I reckon everybody is missing something in this now very popular Darcy / Jackson narrative:

Would each player individually perform statistically superiorly playing 85% first ruck and 15% bench being chopped out by a forward? Yes. But is it best for the team? Not nessicarily

Based on the proviso, which I think reasonable people have to accept, the Darcy wasn't just an asset we could liquidate for full value, then the right thing to do is have their rotations set to allow maximum output to team benefit. Obviously these would change depending on match ups and match situation, but something near Darcy 65% first ruck, 15% forward, 20% bench v Jackson 35% first ruck, 35% forward 15% on ball 15% bench would provide a lot of flexibility and maximum impact on the contest for the entire match.

I can also imagine a tactical situation where Jackson plays a large % forward but it's one where the extra 5% on the bench both of them playing can provide allows him to push up to stoppages and then run back creating a mis-match either way*.

*If a key goes with him they can't compete at the stoppage, if they swap to a mid then they can't compete running back the other way.
Yes.

And you can't understate the importance of the 'tactical situation' factor. The 'Malcolm Blight' factor. Critical when it comes to finals.

Jackson brings shock factor tucked away in his kit. Suddenly he's a forward. Nek minit, he's receiving the tap..... or is he?

So much this. Every time that 3rd quarter is brought up in the why Darcy and Dogga won't work is a massive facepalm.

Gawn and Grundy (which before the 2023 season started was supposed to be the best combo in the AFL according to journalists) would never have happened if Jackson hadn't left. Gawn and Jackson would be being lauded for how revolutionary it was and how it was changing the game.

The media in general severely underrates Swaggy, he is close to the best pure ruckman going around but they behave like he is journeyman level like a Tom Hickey.

Gawn is more effective forward than Swaggy but that was actually worse for Dogga. Part of the reason some of us doubted Dogga's price was that he had no consistent demonstrated forward ability. That has to at least be attributed to Melbourne being more likely to cycle Gawn forward.

The combination of Swaggy and Dogga has the potential to reach heights that Gawn and Jackson may never have.
I enjoy this debate and think the discussion about comparative value of a pure ruck and a versatile ruck is valid.

If we didn't already have Darcy, I would chase English first. I don't think that would be a popular option on here though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sliding doors...

View attachment 1942584
I agree with Barrett, which is tough for me to say. Do you reckon he reads Bigfooty and we've brainwashed him?
I used to not be able to stand Damo, but in the last five years where the AFL media landscape has gotten worse and worse and worse.... I find him quite tolerable these days.

Four matches? JL said he’ll be ready for round 5…
If Jackson keeps up this form then we have the luxury of nursing Darcy back into it

If we had that luxury with cox then maybe he ain't out for basically the year

I'd rather be extra cautious with Sean
(Rob will be the first big test for dogga today tho)

If Jackson keeps up this form then we have the luxury of nursing Darcy back into it

If we had that luxury with cox then maybe he ain't out for basically the year

I'd rather be extra cautious with Sean
(Rob will be the first big test for dogga today tho)
Was bringing Cox back early (on schedule) really the cause of his injury though? It was the Harris push that caused him to land on his leg at full extension. Give him a few extra weeks and he’s still tearing the hammy off the bone in that circumstance. Especially since it’s the one he already had surgery on.

Darcy was a clean out rather than an injury too, so is the risk of injury less? Any doctors on here?

I used the AFL Nation thing last night and muted Ch 7! I implore others to do the same. Did have Matt Hill, whateley and Dermie so much better than goosage etc but still

Was bringing Cox back early (on schedule) really the cause of his injury though? It was the Harris push that caused him to land on his leg at full extension. Give him a few extra weeks and he’s still tearing the hammy off the bone in that circumstance. Especially since it’s the one he already had surgery on.

Darcy was a clean out rather than an injury too, so is the risk of injury less? Any doctors on here?
I think he was underdone and it did contribute. Underdone players tend to find themselves in situations where they get hurt as they're slightly off the pace of the game.
Eg if Brennan was at full fitness, maybe he has separation on Andrews and the push never happens.

I think he was underdone and it did contribute. Underdone players tend to find themselves in situations where they get hurt as they're slightly off the pace of the game.
Eg if Brennan was at full fitness, maybe he has separation on Andrews and the push never happens.

He may also have worked harder to get involved in the game leading to him being injured elsewhere.

What actually did happen was he was shoved and as a direct result of it over extended the posterior chain leading to a failure.

But for that push, Cox might also have knocked himself out taking a hanger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back