Training 2024 Preseason Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon Pierik in the Age said Stringer was doing running drills with Draper and didnt take part in the match sim
Game-breaker Jake Stringer ran laps with draftee Vigo Visentini to round out the training session, but had taken part in main drills up until that point.

"He's been in main training for most of it, today he missed one drill, but he's integrating back really well. He understands where his body is at, and he respects it, but he's also pushing the limit a bit with our physical staff, too," McGrath said.

"It's great to see him out there, you can see how talented he is when he gets his hand on the ball and does his thing, but we just want to see more of him. Hopefully he will be in full training really soon and be ready for games."

Was not there myself but my training source can confirm the above. Did do most of the training.

Who had the most goal assists for the club in 2023? Nic Martin.

Talks of him possibly being a defensive option gives me shades of the Geelong match in Round 7 when we were on the verge of mounting a possible comeback in the 3rd quarter until his handball coming out of D50 turned it over and put it to bed.

His skills do not belong down back, they belong closer up forward as a link in the chain and I hope the club persists with that going into next year.

Talks of him possibly being a defensive option gives me shades of the Geelong match in Round 7 when we were on the verge of mounting a possible comeback in the 3rd quarter until his handball coming out of D50 turned it over and put it to bed.

His skills do not belong down back, they belong closer up forward as a link in the chain and I hope the club persists with that going into next year.
I agree it’s certainly a science experiment and at the time I was quite shocked to see the change. Some people say it’s to develop Nic… I don’t know? If he does play there I want Duz on one wing and Dursma on the other! I think last year Brad realised when he omitted Hind that we struggled to cross the lines. Personally I don’t think he rates Hind because of his constant bad mistakes. I believe he sees Nic as someone who can cross the lines with the added bonus of exquisite finishing.

Game-breaker Jake Stringer ran laps with draftee Vigo Visentini to round out the training session, but had taken part in main drills up until that point.

"He's been in main training for most of it, today he missed one drill, but he's integrating back really well. He understands where his body is at, and he respects it, but he's also pushing the limit a bit with our physical staff, too," McGrath said.

"It's great to see him out there, you can see how talented he is when he gets his hand on the ball and does his thing, but we just want to see more of him. Hopefully he will be in full training really soon and be ready for games."

Was not there myself but my training source can confirm the above. Did do most of the training.
Pierik quoted the bolded bit too in his article but sort of insinuated jake was away from main group the whole session with draper.

Wierd to see Caldwell playing forward on the B team

Just too much depth i guess.
One of the best in the league for minimal touches that resulted in a goal I think. Please someone with better knowledge explain why he was such an assist King!

tumbleweed GIF

They have to have some sort of midfield spread over both sides to provide competition. The red side is generally weaker but those on it are not 100% in the B team. They do swap a number of players half way. It does not rule him out of being in the 23 for round 1.

Such a competitive beast. Just has to be in the first team. I forget which game it was, might have been the port game we lost at the siren, but he put the team on his back. Feel like he’s a genuine competitor - unlike some who like to call themselves competitive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it’s certainly a science experiment and at the time I was quite shocked to see the change. Some people say it’s to develop Nic… I don’t know? If he does play there I want Duz on one wing and Dursma on the other! I think last year Brad realised when he omitted Hind that we struggled to cross the lines. Personally I don’t think he rates Hind because of his constant bad mistakes. I believe he sees Nic as someone who can cross the lines with the added bonus of exquisite finishing.

We have 3 players to rotate through the wings; Durham, Duursma and Martin. Finding a second position for them to rotate through makes a lot of sense, particularly given we regularly get stuck in the back half and a guy with the skills / vision Martin has can potentially get us through where a player like Heppell wouldn't be able to any more.

I assume it's a HBF role in the same way that Nick Daicos was playing a HBF role, very loosely.

They have to have some sort of midfield spread over both sides to provide competition. The red side is generally weaker but those on it are not 100% in the B team. They do swap a number of players half way. It does not rule him out of being in the 23 for round 1.
i'm curious to see where he fits in the starting line up

Draper Caldwell Tsatas Merrett is a cracking midfield for some competitiveness
Parish Setterfield Hobbs not bad either

Ditto with the backs, it’s interesting that they have Reid McKay and Cox playing together for the black team but it’s probably because we have no idea what that could look like until we’ve tried it, as opposed to Laverde being in the 2s.

Ditto with the backs, it’s interesting that they have Reid McKay and Cox playing together for the black team but it’s probably because we have no idea what that could look like until we’ve tried it, as opposed to Laverde being in the 2s.
for the investment we've made, you'd think that's our target set of tall backs

McGrath McKay Cox
Ridley Reid Redman

if they all reach the heights they promise, that's a solid backline.

With one of Duursma, Durham and Martin folding back as the defensive wing.
Merrett possible too.

If Tsatas gets going, i think we'd benefit from merrett getting some space to use the ball....be it HB or just outside the contest.

a lot rides on Reid & Jones, the new recruits improving us and a lot of bad habits being stamped out...but on paper the list is getting there

for the investment we've made, you'd think that's our target set of tall backs

McGrath McKay Cox
Ridley Reid Redman

if they all reach the heights they promise, that's a solid backline.

Seems more like it’s looking like

Ridley McKay Mcgrath
Redman, Reid, Martin

D7 likely between Cox, Laverde and Baldwin and then have 1x defensive mid/wing rotate through as an extra ball user.

Seems more like it’s looking like

Ridley McKay Mcgrath
Redman, Reid, Martin

D7 likely between Cox, Laverde and Baldwin and then have 1x defensive mid/wing rotate through as an extra ball user.
i wonder if Martin will push back from wing v starting back, but will zone more defensive than offensive....given our midfield has no issues front running at the moment.

You've derived that conclusion from one handball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back