2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh. Fair enough. I don't really pay attention to that until the byes tbh. For forwards I usually base it on the goals and assists combined as that's usually the most accurate guide.
You might have to rethink Miers, positionally. He's playing like an attacking wingman. Which explains why he's lifted his disposals to 22 per game and his clearances are a tick over 3 a game now. But when he pushes inside 50 he's addressed the flaw from 2023 and has been able to add goals. And he has the same amount of score involvements as Jeremy Cameron. In fact I'd say there's a huge overlap between the scores generated by Miers and Cameron. They both push high up the ground and work scoring chains together with another of the forwards acting as a pivot in between. That combo has pretty much carried Geelong's season so far.

Update:

FB: Stewart Weitering Blakey
HB: Houston Taylor Whitfield

C: Anderson Heeney Gulden
FOL: Gawn Merrett Serong

HF: Bontempelli J.Cameron Miers
FF: Greene Hogan Curnow

IC: Rowell Cripps Green Rozee

Vlastuin, McGrath, N.Daicos, McKay, Stengle, Pearce, Ryan, J.McGovern, Yeo and Petracca could just as easily be in. I'm not as harsh on players missing 1-2 games as others (it's different if they end up missing 7 by end of year, but benefit of doubt until then). 2 poor games is a bigger mark against.

The inside mids have been outstanding but maybe I have too many that are not amazing ball users/decision makers in the side and one or two could make way. Plenty of class on the wings, plus Heeney and Merrett, balances that out a bit.

Update:

Vlastuin, McGrath, N.Daicos, McKay, Stengle, Pearce, Ryan, J.McGovern, Yeo and Petracca could just as easily be in. I'm not as harsh on players missing 1-2 games as others (it's different if they end up missing 7 by end of year, but benefit of doubt until then). 2 poor games is a bigger mark against.

The inside mids have been outstanding but maybe I have too many that are not amazing ball users/decision makers in the side and one or two could make way. Plenty of class on the wings, plus Heeney and Merrett, balances that out a bit.
Yep agree with this and agree with those on the cusp of being included in the side too. Pearce and Weitering are razor close. Same with Daicos, McGrath, Blakey, Houston, Vlaustin and Whitfield.

Really tight season in terms of top end talent

Surely Andy McGrath starts pushing those smalls in the back 6 / 7 eth-dog
His start to the year last year was better than this, and I didn't have him in then, so no. Not yet.

Update:

S Walsh replaces Rozee on the bench soon. - his last 3 games have been epic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Nick Vlaustin - Alex Pearce - Andrew McGrath
HB: Dan Houston - Harris Andrews -
Max Holmes
C: Josh Kelly - Isaac Heeney - Errol Gulden
HF: Gryan Miers - Jeremy Cameron - Izak Rankine
F: Jake Waterman - Charlie Curnow - Shai Bolton
R: Max Gawn - Zach Merrett - Matt Rowell
I/C: Caleb Serong - Nick Blakey - Christian Petracca - Tom Green

Mcgrath Weitering Jones
Stewart Taylor Blakey
Merrett Green Anderson
Rozee Mckay Hogan
Waterman Cameron Miers

Gawn Serong Heeney

Pearce Greene Bont Petracca

Last edited:
Weitering's poor game on Taylor Walker plus missing the first 2 means he shouldn't be in the side despite 3 AA level performances and 1 other ok game.
I thought about that but it's been a fairly low bar for full backs so far this season.

Yes, Pearce has been good but in an easier more defensive system for defenders. And after a terrific start has dropped off a little.

Andrews has still been decent but not a star. McKay, Wilkie and May the same.

So 3 AA level performances and another decent one is just about good enough. I was picking that spot who I'd see performing best there in a game played tomorrow.

I thought about that but it's been a fairly low bar for full backs so far this season.

Yes, Pearce has been good but in an easier more defensive system for defenders. And after a terrific start has dropped off a little.

So 3 AA level performances and another decent one is just about good enough. I was picking that spot who I'd see performing best there in a game played tomorrow.
Despite the obvious bias I reckon a tall pairing of Taylor and Buckley would be close

To a large extent a key defender is a key defender. You could place Taylor and McGovern (insert other high performing CHB) in two key defender slots without having to shoehorn in a designated FB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back