Strategy 2024 Season Preview / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just logged into SC for the first time this year and been reading up on a few posts.

Just a few comments in terms of strategy just to make sure:
  • Teams can be changed through Round 0 and up until round 1 when it officially starts.
  • People minimising Round 0 playing premiums as there is one less score total.
  • Picking Round 0 rookies as their Round 0 score counts to their price increase and you get an extra look.

If there's anything wrong with the above, let me know and thank you!
Rd 0 rookies from Bris / Blues no extra value as the bye in Rd 2 means their first rise is same as others
Rd 0 rookies from Giants / Suns not much extra value as the have a Rd 3 bye so back in line with others after that
Rd 0 rookies from Pies / Dees / Tigers / Swans good value as they have an extra rise on others up until their bye in Rd 5/6

But with all these teams you do get a free look and know their first score + selected for second game before choosing them

Some guesstimating maths on the extra bye.

Plug in what your expected average is of the player who has the bye, for example if I think Touk will average 105, I use 105.

Multiply 105 x 22 (total games - bye), this gives me 105. This gives me 2310

Then I take what I expect the player covering Touk to give me, lets say Sanders will cover and he will give me 70. I add that to 2310 for 2380. Then I divide that by 23 (total games + bye).

Which gives me 103.4

This gives me what I can expect Touks average will be whilst factoring in the bye.

Basically, in this instance I can see that if I'm correct in my estimates of Touk & Sanders scores, I'll be losing 1.6pts a round by having Touk over a player that doesn't have a r0 bye who also averages 105

Plug in what your expected average is of the player who has the bye, for example if I think Touk will average 105, I use 105.

Then I take what I expect the player covering Touk to give me, lets say Sanders will cover and he will give me 70. I add that to 2310 for 2380. Then I divide that by 23 (total games + bye).

Which gives me 103.4

This gives me what I can expect Touks average will be whilst factoring in the bye.

Basically, in this instance I can see that if I'm correct in my estimates of Touk & Sanders scores, I'll be losing 1.6pts a round by having Touk over a player that doesn't have a r0 bye who also averages 105
Then multiply it by every player who has a rd Zero bye so if it’s 30 points a player x5 players that’s 150 points over the season which is significant at the top of the table

Which gives me 103.4

x 23?

Which gives me 103.4

Yep, there's also been some work done on the average score of the 19th best player last yr through the first 6 rounds, which was 58 for AFL and is around 7 pts higher for SC. It drops another 5 pts for 20th. That said with loopholes through the byes and 2 cracks at a score this yr I think 65-70 is reasonable for SC.

Worth noting that if you have an uber premium such as Trac with a bye the impact is greater given you're looking at say 120 vs 70, where as a mid pricer like Billings / Jordon it may only be 15 pts lost

From what club do folks currently have the most players in their starting line-up?
Am assuming kangas will be prominent.
They have different purposes (a Lazzaro is a cash cow, Powell/Zac Fisher hoped to be keepers if you're going them etc.), but still, how many are too.many Roos/Dockers/...?

4 - Dogs.
3 - Saints, Swans, North

Interesting, so:
Dockers: Young, Serong, Sharp, Fyfe?
Roos: only McKercher and Sheezel?

Reckon some will be going up to 5 deep in NM players, that's the one I'm going back and forth on. Share of overall pie, roles in-season etc.
There’s no doubt you can have five north players and do reasonably well. The problem this year are the stupid bye rounds.

4 - Dogs.
3 - Saints, Swans, North
Dogs make sense, as do Sainters and North (I'm lower on Dogs, no Bont / Harmes for now).
Swans you'd ideally reduce, but all three pick themselves barring Rd 1 surprises./, so no disadvantage vs the pack.

Reckon I might be overindexing on Dockers, think iif Jackson comes into the frame, can only be Young down back.
Depends a bit on what the go is with Darcy
If only 2-3, is L Jackson worth it? 550 is top price for him tbh

I havent done SuperCoach for years, but reading the layout of how its working with this compromised Fixture in 2024.... it looks like your at a disadvantage to use any player from teams in round 0

Round 0 doesnt count to SC.... so effectively your getting 1 less round a year out of the players in those teams.
Even though the fixture evens out by Round 6 in terms of actual games, it doesnt even out in terms of points earned per player

e.g choosing Brodie Grundy as your ruck he will only have 23 games he can score in instead of 24.
With limited rotations per round you would have to schedule in VERY careful how many players u have in each of those teams and swap those out in their bye round.

But thats based on how many of those players you have, and just pray your other players dont get injured. Sounds like far too much accounting and statistical analysis needs to be done to stop you from losing points on a player from those Round 0 teams.

Would be MUCH easier to just not choose any from those teams.

What are your thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I havent done SuperCoach for years, but reading the layout of how its working with this compromised Fixture in 2024.... it looks like your at a disadvantage to use any player from teams in round 0

Round 0 doesnt count to SC.... so effectively your getting 1 less round a year out of the players in those teams.
Even though the fixture evens out by Round 6 in terms of actual games, it doesnt even out in terms of points earned per player

e.g choosing Brodie Grundy as your ruck he will only have 23 games he can score in instead of 24.
With limited rotations per round you would have to schedule in VERY careful how many players u have in each of those teams and swap those out in their bye round.

But thats based on how many of those players you have, and just pray your other players dont get injured. Sounds like far too much accounting and statistical analysis needs to be done to stop you from losing points on a player from those Round 0 teams.

Would be MUCH easier to just not choose any from those teams.

What are your thoughts?
The prevailing wisdom seems to be
  • try not to take more than one premo from each bye round
  • try to only take underpriced players (as you would need to pay more if you wait until after their bye)

How big an effect bye players will have can't be known really as they will be covered by your rookies, you may get lucky and a Darcy Wilson type goes 100+, or they might all spud.

Personally I think ownership is a big factor, for example everyone is starting Daicos (72% ownership currently) so it doesn't really matter he misses a week as everyone is in the same boat. Different story if your player is 2%.

Which gives me 103.4

I tried to do this kind of thing but I suck at math and doubt I'm getting it right. Thanks Pet!!
Its the reason I'm going Gawnsky and Grundog.
I expect Gawn to miss the two byes and three or four after that so for mine, he's a chopper second half of the year.
Good luck!

Anyone able to help me just clarify 2 questions about Round 0 Supercoach:

1. Will trades still be unlimited until Round 1

2. Will scores in Round 0 contribute to player value (ie. If Gawn scores 150 will this contribute to his season value/avg)

Anyone able to help me just clarify 2 questions about Round 0 Supercoach:

1. Will trades still be unlimited until Round 1

2. Will scores in Round 0 contribute to player value (ie. If Gawn scores 150 will this contribute to his season value/avg)

yes and yes

I think starting teams will only differ by less than seven players. Starting to look *ing bland AF.
I started searching teams on the interwebs and youtoob and they are all the bloody same.
Will come down to rookie a or rookie b.

ffs

whoops

ptp1ekm0nmqb1.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back