Strategy 2024 Season Preview / Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know how the scoring will work for the first few rounds when there is 2 teams having a bye?

Will it be best 18 counted? Or will it be normal 22 with just having to backfill missing players?

Asking with consideration for Ruck if you choose Gawn/Grundy, whether I need some Ruck cover. I was thinking of having L.Jackson in the fwd line as cover for ruck, but he is a bit expensive I reckon if no need to cover Gawn/Grundy when they are on bye week

Anyone know how the scoring will work for the first few rounds when there is 2 teams having a bye?

Will it be best 18 counted? Or will it be normal 22 with just having to backfill missing players?

Asking with consideration for Ruck if you choose Gawn/Grundy, whether I need some Ruck cover. I was thinking of having L.Jackson in the fwd line as cover for ruck, but he is a bit expensive I reckon if no need to cover Gawn/Grundy when they are on bye week
Bye rounds are best 18 including the early ones.

Thanks, just as a refresher could you hypothetically have both Ruckman out and still have 18 players scoring?

I think you can, but I only vaguely remember how it works.
Yeah, you can have as many scores eligible to be counted as you have spots on field.
So 22 by default which could be eligible to be in the 18.
If both ruckmen miss, then those two spots are zeroes and you only have a max of 20 possible scores from which to draw the 18 that count (max 6 DEF, 8 MID, 6 FWD = max 20 on-field spots, ignoring ruck zeroes).
Does mean you might cop more of a hit if you cop a few low scores, because you can only drop the worst 2 of 20, not the worst 4 of 22.
That what you meant?

Last edited:
Yeah, you can have as many scores eligible to be counted as you have spots on field.
So 22 by default which could be eligible to be in the 18.
If both ruckmen miss, then those two spots are zeroes and you only have a max of 20 possible scores from which to draw the 18 that count (max 6 DEF, 8 MID, 6 FWD = max 20 on-field spots, ignoring ruck zeroes).
Does mean you might cop more of a hit if you cop a few low scores, because you can only drop the worst 2 of 20, not the worst 4 of 22.
That what you meant?
Thanks, yeah that's exactly what meant, that's great to know, might re-consider Jackson at Fwd now lol, Ruck cover probably not as big a concern as I thought early on.

How many round 0 players is everyone taking? I can't seem to pick less than 4... Flanders, Daicos, Gawn and Grundy
I want to pick Tom Green but feel 5 is one too many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if it has been posted but who are the first teams to 3 games?
All of the Rd 0 teams except Blues / Bris get first rise after Rd 2. So GC, GWS, Syd, Pies, Rich, Melb

But of those 6 GC and GWS get a bye in Rd 3 so fall back in line with everyone else.

Pies and Swans stay 1 rise ahead until Rd 5, Tigers and Dees until Rd 6

I think strategically the early byes have been over considered this pre season, potentially because they are a new and unknown variable.

The bye is essentially like a player missing one game per season through injury, nobody would think twice if a player did that. Many are picking players who have missed a bunch of games (Fyfe, Yeo, Fisher, LDU, Parish types) but avoiding players who will miss 1 game with an extra bye.

If you have a premo who would score 110 with an early bye, it's best 18 only scoring that week including many loophole double chances and your 19th best player may score 60-70. It's only losing 40-50 pts total yet some are avoiding premos who may have 15ppg upside which over the season is 300-400 pts upside for the loss of a 40 pt bye. Trading the value premos in post bye is also a poor option as those trades will be better used for rookie corrections and upgrading.

Last edited:
I think strategically the early byes have been over considered this pre season, potentially because they are a new and unknown variable.

The bye is essentially like a player missing one game per season through injury, nobody would think twice if a player did that. Many are picking players who have missed a bunch of games (Fyfe, Yeo, Fisher, LDU, Parish types) but avoiding players who will miss 1 game with an extra bye.

If you have a premo who would score 110 with an early bye, it's best 18 only scoring that week including many loophole double chances and your 19th best player may score 60-70. It's only losing 40-50 pts total yet some are avoiding premos who may have 15ppg upside which over the season is 300-400 pts upside for the loss of a 40 pt bye. Trading the value premos in post bye is also a poor option as those trades will be better used for rookie corrections and upgrading.
Ok, hate to nit pick, but it's the 19th scorer who's points will count, 20th if there's 2 missing.

Your example lists a player scoring 110pts and I'm assuming that's your premo who has 15PPG upside, so he's priced at 95, what I'd like to know is who is the premo/premos that you're considering with the early bye that has that sort of upside? And how many of said premos share the bye with others that are considered value plays? ie; those players that everyone has in their sides like Gawn, Grundy, Daicos, Flanders, Adams and until recently Walsh.

Also factor in that those points are lost in the early rounds and not over the whole season, once rnd 6 hits then everyone is in upgrade mode and good luck to anyone who can make up 500 lost pts in the 1st 6 rounds, my assumption there is that you'd have another 4 players over and above those mentioned, so 10 players all up.

I'm not here to 'poo poo' your thinking, just offering my opinion and I'm genuinely interested in hearing of those players that have that 15PPG upside.

Oh, and isn't trading in value premos part of the upgrade process?

Ok, hate to nit pick, but it's the 19th scorer who's points will count, 20th if there's 2 missing.

Your example lists a player scoring 110pts and I'm assuming that's your premo who has 15PPG upside, so he's priced at 95, what I'd like to know is who is the premo/premos that you're considering with the early bye that has that sort of upside? And how many of said premos share the bye with others that are considered value plays? ie; those players that everyone has in their sides like Gawn, Grundy, Daicos, Flanders, Adams and until recently Walsh.

Also factor in that those points are lost in the early rounds and not over the whole season, once rnd 6 hits then everyone is in upgrade mode and good luck to anyone who can make up 500 lost pts in the 1st 6 rounds, my assumption there is that you'd have another 4 players over and above those mentioned, so 10 players all up.

I'm not here to 'poo poo' your thinking, just offering my opinion and I'm genuinely interested in hearing of those players that have that 15PPG upside.

The fact there called byes makes us think of horror bye rounds from the past we had 14 playing and screwed our whole year.
That shouldn't be the case here if we pick decent rookies to start the year. Value like touk is hard to ignore I reckon we may wish we just took him later in the year.
I'm not going to load up on early bye players but it's very different from our normal mid year byes. Not sure what's the right play tbh.

The fact there called byes makes us think of horror bye rounds from the past we had 14 playing and screwed our whole year.
That shouldn't be the case here if we pick decent rookies to start the year. Value like touk is hard to ignore I reckon we may wish we just took him later in the year.
I'm not going to load up on early bye players but it's very different from our normal mid year byes. Not sure what's the right play tbh.

For me I'm hoping not to trade after round 1 and reset from there. Keep it simple.:cool:

Touk

Fair call, bit of hit with Flanders as well, guess time will tell
Yep no doubt there's a tipping point where ur giving away too much. I think player durability has been under rated in comparison to byes, but each to their own. If you look at a player like LDU obvs he has potential upside and has been very popular in part due to no early bye, but he also had 4 separate injuries last yr 2 of which were soft tissue. Obvs byes have to be considered but if I was lining up 2 players with similar potential I'd likely lean to the one with better durability and risk the bye. It's a good conversation though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back