Retired #22: Matthew Leuenberger - offered a new deal but chose to retire - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Quite possibly the most underrated player on our list. Watch how much better he'll be with a much stronger midfield to hit it to.

Yep, agree. Love that despite his flaws he still gives it a red-hot crack around the ground; he's never gonna be Dean Cox but he's absolutely going to thrive with better players back and natural improvement from guys like Langford and Parish.

Bellchambers at his best was a bloke splitting time between ruck and forward. Leuey is a genuine ruck.

Been said but he's instantly better next year because he's a great tap ruckman who will now be feeding a good inside mid group.

Think there is a lot of scope for imorovement simply by stringing a few seasons together.

If he can add more run and some contested marking to this year's grunt work he'll be a very good ruck.

He is gangly but actually has really good mobility. Think he can be the type of ruck to average possessions in the high teens.

He gives us a solid consistent ruck framework. This is so important because it provides predictability for the mids to play the game they want to play and to do it with confidence. Every good ruckman provides that intangible benefit of being a key foundation for his peers to excel around him.

Bellchambers at his best is a myth
Wouldn't go that far - TBC can compete with most for hit outs and is above average for a ruckman when playing forward. Issue is that he gives nothing when the ball is on the deck.Leuenberger gives little forward but matches (maybe exceeds) TBC in the ruck and competes well at ground level.

On balance, Leuenberger is the better option but TBC is no spud....there are far worse out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time he played 22 games in a season was 2011 which was his best statistical year as he averaged 32.9 hitouts, 4.1 marks and 15.6 disposals a game.
In 2016 he averaged 27.9 hitouts, 2.4 marks and 12.4 disposals from 20 games. So if he is in great shape he certainly has room to improve on last season.

He'll be fit for round 3 vs Carlton
We'd heard that plenty of times as well.

You may have a better experience than us because I am sure that your med and rehab team know what they're doing, but he was the worst for having issues that were originally 3-4 weeks but ended up being half season issues. Second only to Josh Drummond, to be honest.

I really do which his extended stints of time off are behind him because it's not like he doesn't put the effort into his rehab. He's real good at rehab.

We'd heard that plenty of times as well.

You may have a better experience than us because I am sure that your med and rehab team know what they're doing, but he was the worst for having issues that were originally 3-4 weeks but ended up being half season issues. Second only to Josh Drummond, to be honest.

I really do which his extended stints of time off are behind him because it's not like he doesn't put the effort into his rehab. He's real good at rehab.
Didn't look like it was a bad injury so I think he should be fine for at least the Adelaide game in round 4 if not the Carlton game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back