Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
So this draft power rankings has Blakey at 15th. Let see if that changes now that he's nominated us as his preferred destination

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...-power-rankings-key-position-players-dominate
BOOM! Nominates Sydney and shoots up 7 spots!

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...re-power-rankings-midfielders-make-their-move

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...re-power-rankings-midfielders-make-their-move
Might have been the 12 goals in two weeks, but that's not as much fun as a conspiracy theory

You had to hear Derek Hine's tone of voice to fully appreciate it when he said we have been given a "bit of a gift" with Blakey nominating us. Later when it came up that their highly rated next generation academy player Bailey Wraith only qualified because his mother came here when she was 3 it was equally in his tone when he remarked "rules are rules".

Bad luck for the kid. Wonder how norf supportrs are feeling about that given they were wishing for something similar for young Blakey...

Hopefully not too good and they appreciate and learn from a pretty savage irony.

Had to laugh at Knightmare's description of number 10 Sam Walsh who plays most like Dan Hannebery (e.g. biggest weakness is inconsistency by foot). An apt comparison in all regards it seems.

Had to laugh at Knightmare's description of number 10 Sam Walsh who plays most like Dan Hannebery (e.g. biggest weakness is inconsistency by foot). An apt comparison in all regards it seems.

Must say I cracked up at the description as well.

"While Nick’s heart is in Sydney - and whether he plays for the Swans will depend on how the cards fall on draft day - his greatest hope is to just play AFL.
“If I got the chance to play at the Swans that would be my preference but anything can happen on draft night - if I was drafted to any club I would be happy,” Blakey said.
“It wasn’t that hard of a decision [nominating the Swans], obviously seeing what dad did and winning a few premiership there at North Melbourne, but Sydney is home, I am mates with a lot of other boys here, if I could stay here that would be great but if not, that’s football, I will play for whoever.”
As behind paywall this link from twitter https://t.co/lfQkyJre1j may work
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/4e00026f748392549d86c0c1204bd262

"While Nick’s heart is in Sydney - and whether he plays for the Swans will depend on how the cards fall on draft day - his greatest hope is to just play AFL.
“If I got the chance to play at the Swans that would be my preference but anything can happen on draft night - if I was drafted to any club I would be happy,” Blakey said.
“It wasn’t that hard of a decision [nominating the Swans], obviously seeing what dad did and winning a few premiership there at North Melbourne, but Sydney is home, I am mates with a lot of other boys here, if I could stay here that would be great but if not, that’s football, I will play for whoever.”
As behind paywall this link from twitter https://t.co/lfQkyJre1j may work
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/4e00026f748392549d86c0c1204bd262

Geez. Sounds very level headed and unentitled. Good get for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad luck for the kid. Wonder how norf supportrs are feeling about that given they were wishing for something similar for young Blakey...
Swans ride the Karma bus again ...
Still love thinking about Collingwood's decent into the doldrums after Eddie's anti-Swan rants.

Other than the hype and word of mouth does anyone here actually have any legitimate intel on the way he has been playing and if he has been playing at all of late? After getting excited and doing some research, info from a few people and watching tapes I was left horrified at how shockingly average he looks, takes the odd contested mark but would hardly give Schache a run. And with the way the game is going is it even worth putting all our chips in for an immobile tall forward? Proven time again how easy it is for a tall forward leading out of the square in the 18s until they step into the big time. Please someone make me feel better. And looking at his posture I can see exactly why he’s ended up with a stress fracture
I have seen nick play across all levels for more than a decade. He has a great leap, natural athleticism and excellent positional sense. He is also aggressive and outgoing.
He also has not yet filled out and needs to be managed as he transitions to senior football to avoid a loss of confidence.
I was at his neafl game and whilst he was a bit nervous and more subdued than usual his abilities were there.
I am sure the swans will ease him into senior footy as they always do, and I assure you his abilities will surprise and delight!

Look I'm praying he ends up being a gun obviously and im not trying to burst anyones bubble, just making observations. After watching a few vids of him you can get a general sense of his style and stature, he's ok doesn't look like anything amazing and not even close compared to most highlight packages of high draft pick kids, even lings looked more promising. He's not particularly quick and doesn't have a strong centre of gravity, goes to ground very easily. His BOG performances come as a lead up forward with occasional good contested marks which is easy in under 18's due to the way it's played, in the AFL that role literally does not exist anymore and blokes like schache and boyd have struggled with the transition as a result. Unless you're buddy or a nick riewoldt kpf's don't work he's not going to kick 'bags' no one does anymore. The kid is seriously malnourished aswell, his biceps are literally concaved inwards, would have to bulk on atleast 15-20kgs which will slow him down a fair bit. Going off our previous drafts, the players that have been a success tend to be the strong, well balanced and ready made bullish looking players like parker, heeney and jones. It's only been the last couple of years where we've gone for skinny kids and it's still unclear how they're going to turn out. With the stronger types their impact is evident from day 1 and it's the type of player the game demands these days. I just think with the way the game is being played and if this draft is being touted the way it is, I have a feeling there will be a few we pass on cause of blakey that we will end up regretting.

I take a fair interest in all the draft prospect talk throughout the year and a lot of players get seriously hyped up by the likes of kevin Sheehan and terry Wallace, especially the kids who have a dad or uncle that played, and a mum who did shot-put or long jump in the Olympics or played netball. Connections get them in. But if you go back and look at the top 20 drafts from the last 10 years, a fair few hyped kids have either become average ok footballers or gotten nowhere and it's the last we've heard of them. Particularly key positions kids. Other than the top 2 or 3 the rest is just hype, even the 1 and 2's from recent drafts have been disappointing. And there's always that ready made footballer that goes pick 45 who everyone regrets not getting. There's a lot of favouritism when it comes to the draft and a lot of talented kids miss out as a result. There are genuine gun kids out there who if were able to get the same opportunity and grooming that blakey gets, would become 10x the better player

I think you make some good points here, but I think it’s clear the kid can play from what I’ve seen (and I haven’t seen as much as others). So worst case scenario, he is as you fear and still becomes a handy-at-best player. Best case scenario, he becomes the gun so many believe he could be. But with the obvious talents like Blakey, it’s a safe bet because they very rarely end up flops.

The club would be pretty happy that nick is missing a portion of the championships....might make his stock drop a little;)

Doubt it. Mills missed pretty much the whole season in the lead up to the draft but was still bid top 5

No way he will get nominated top 3.
If he does we should let him go & get him back in two years time when he's homesick & playing reserves Schache style.

Can’t see it happening either, even the phantom drafters haven’t been able to push him that high. I reckon somewhere between 5-10 which is why I think we should trade our first pick as we can cover Blakey with the rest of our points anyway and otherwise lose the opportunity for another top line talent.

(Plenty of clubs will want to trade up in this draft either to cover trades or to get elite youth in a supposedly deep talent pool / strong high end talent)

I see young Crocker, one of #lolNorf's other potential father/son selections has suffered a serious season ending ankle injury. Bad news for the kid and hope he comes good and gets drafted.
North are taking him so decided to put him out for the year so he tumbles to them in the rookie draft. He could have played again this year but that would push up his ranking. Remember a conspiracy theory is more fun than the truth!

Seems to be them of high profile academy boys for us being injured or unavailible in draft years

Its suspicious high profile draftess slide when they are injured or miss significant parts of the championships but Academy players seem to be immune to that :think:

:Mods feel free to move this post to the conspiracy thread if its to much tin-foil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back