AFL Player #22: Sam Durham

Remove this Banner Ad

He showed more in one game than McNeice did over three years.
Completely disagree. McNeice had a few very good games better than Sam played and is unfairly maligned.

However admittedly it'll only take Sam another 4 or so games like that to show more.

EDIT: side note, I think McNeice might have been very good under the current coach and system with his bullet disposal.

Completely disagree. McNeice had a few very good games better than Sam played and is unfairly maligned.

However admittedly it'll only take Sam another 4 or so games like that to show more.

EDIT: side note, I think McNeice might have been very good under the current coach and system with his bullet disposal.
Carn man .

Looked very good, like he has a season under his belt already. I wouldn't of guessed it was his debut.

Looked good, that missed set shot soured an otherwise solid debut.

My impression is that he played better footy/looked better than he has at the lower level (though I haven't seen heaps). Seems a bit strange at first blush but it makes sense because as a wingman a big part of his game is reacting to what happens in the middle. The diabolical state of our VFL midfield makes it tough going for everyone other than the defenders (who at least get to see a lot of the ball).

Either way, if that's the base line for what he will bring when he plays AFL he's going to be around for a few years yet. He's an interesting player.

Looked good, that missed set shot soured an otherwise solid debut.

My impression is that he played better footy/looked better than he has at the lower level (though I haven't seen heaps). Seems a bit strange at first blush but it makes sense because as a wingman, a big part of his game is reacting to what happens in the middle. The diabolical state of our VFL midfield makes it tough going for everyone other than the defenders (who at least get to see a lot of the ball).

Either way, if that's the base line for what he will bring when he plays AFL he's going to be around for a few years yet. He's an interesting player.

Are the VFL grounds we've seen him on smaller than Metricon?

You'd assume that having the rest of the team be a bit more organised than at VFL level makes it a bit easier for outside players to find where they need to be.

Are the VFL grounds we've seen him on smaller than Metricon?

You'd assume that having the rest of the team be a bit more organised than at VFL level makes it a bit easier for outside players to find where they need to be.
Not really. Geelong is longer but skinnier but most are similar size

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks taller than the 185cm he’s listed. Put it down his long arms and legs.

Reckon he’ll add some significant size and strength to what isn’t a small frame over the next couple of preseasons.

Looks taller than the 185cm he’s listed. Put it down his long arms and legs.

Reckon he’ll add some significant size and strength to what isn’t a small frame over the next couple of preseasons.
He’s a really good size and will fill out easily, seems to cover ground well too.

I went back and watched the replay - it was a damn good first game. I found myself wondering what stops him from having, at minimum, a decent AFL career? Nothing really jumped out at me.

He’s a really good size and will fill out easily, seems to cover ground well too.

I went back and watched the replay - it was a damn good first game. I found myself wondering what stops him from having, at minimum, a decent AFL career? Nothing really jumped out at me.

Yeah to me he has a better mix of attributes than both Guelfi and Cutler so it’s hard to see how he doesn’t make it.

Pretty crazy thing to say about a guy we grabbed in the preseason draft.

You're setting a very high bar if you think he didn't show enough in his first game.

Reality is, he'll likely be in and out of the side for the next 10 or so games. But he absolutely deserves the opportunity for a 2022 contract.

I know he obviously has been a late developer, but it’s rare you see a guy that is so young, with his skill set that hasn’t been picked up until a midseason draft. Has elite aerobic capacity, strong in the contest, strong in the air and great footskills (other than 10m out from goal 😂), almost the complete modern day player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back