Delisted #24: Craig Bird - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah..I hear you. I am the same with Green and our fwd line. It is working really well compared to the past I do not want that messed with.

Bird does all the down and dirty role player things better than anyone on our list not named Heath Hocking, but he can actually still keep up with the game unfortunately for Buddha. He blocks, he tackles to hurt and multiple times last year he sprinted 30 or 40 metres flat stick to lay a diving full body shepherd.

You could probably plug 6 or 7 different players into Green's spot and get the same result.

Bird does all the down and dirty role player things better than anyone on our list not named Heath Hocking, but he can actually still keep up with the game unfortunately for Buddha. He blocks, he tackles to hurt and multiple times last year he sprinted 30 or 40 metres flat stick to lay a diving full body shepherd.

You could probably plug 6 or 7 different players into Green's spot and get the same result.
THERE IS ONLY ONE JOSH GREEN.

Could replace any of our slower mids who happen to be inured or rested, (lets not forget Myers' history) Really would like to keep him. Nice to have him step in when needed.

Was very solid last night. Wasn't the best but wasn't the worst.

Absolutely - he flies under the radar a bit I reckon Bird. A much better option than Myers in my opinion - against Gold Coast if you compare the two hes miles ahead;-

Bird - possessions: 23, contested possessions: 7, disposal efficiency: 73.9%, clearances: 3, 1% plays - 3
Myers - possessions: 17, contested possessions: 4, disposal efficiency: 52.9%, clearances: 3, 1% plays - 0

I just hope he keeps his spot ahead of Myers when we play the Dockers

Absolutely - he flies under the radar a bit I reckon Bird. A much better option than Myers in my opinion - against Gold Coast if you compare the two hes miles ahead;-

Bird - possessions: 23, contested possessions: 7, disposal efficiency: 73.9%, clearances: 3, 1% plays - 3
Myers - possessions: 17, contested possessions: 4, disposal efficiency: 52.9%, clearances: 3, 1% plays - 0

I just hope he keeps his spot ahead of Myers when we play the Dockers
Myers had 5 clearances.

You really hate Myers, don't you? He clearly outperformed Bird on Saturday (who was quite frankly terrible) and Bird butchered the ball far worse than David did, if you actually used your eyes.

Myers had 5 clearances.

You really hate Myers, don't you? He clearly outperformed Bird on Saturday (who was quite frankly terrible) and Bird butchered the ball far worse than David did, if you actually used your eyes.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/22/gcfc-v-ess

Check the link - not sure where you get 5 clearances for Myers from - and no - I dont hate him - just dont rate him. Like everyone here I am entitled to my opinion - and its my opinion that Bird has done far more than Myers in his career, has not been gifted games at Essendon like Myers has - but rather has had to earn them, and is just a good a player as him right now.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/22/gcfc-v-ess

Check the link - not sure where you get 5 clearances for Myers from - and no - I dont hate him - just dont rate him. Like everyone here I am entitled to my opinion - and its my opinion that Bird has done far more than Myers in his career, has not been gifted games at Essendon like Myers has - but rather has had to earn them, and is just a good a player as him right now.
Footywire has him down at 5. And yes you do, you complained about Myers when he came back and had 31 touches against Collingwood whilst being near best on. Last year it was Merrett, this year it's Myers.

Myers has outperformed Bird comfortably this year.

Myers had 5 clearances.

nice double negative!

If they were playing kick to kick, who would have to do more running to cover the others butchered kicks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nice double negative!

If they were playing kick to kick, who would have to do more running to cover the others butchered kicks?
Myers, comfortably

I hope Bird is retained for depth next year if he doesn't get an offer from another club. Which I can't see him getting.

Ultimately he and Myers should both be depth next year as we start blooding some of our young midfielders. Both are unreliable by foot and turnovers have been our biggest concern all year.

Solomon like wisdom is required to end this Bird versus Myers debate which is now infesting multiple threads. Myers and Bird both out for Langford and Mutch would solve this BF dilemma. Both get a lot of the ball and have the potential to use it pretty well in comparison to the aforementioned pair and should be able to provide the defensive running that everyone talks about. Langford is a pretty big unit and surely could master Myer's 'blocking' role.

Last edited:
Haven't seen confirmation but someone was saying he's contracted for next year - got three years when we brought him down from Sydney.

I think Myers is tagging a lot of the time, or at least running with someone in some capacity.

When Jobe is out, Bird comes in to tag and Myers plays Jobe's role. I'm pretty sure both Myers and Bird have been mentioned in the coaches notes and match reviews as run-with players for various games this year.

I still rate him a shade ahead of Myers. They are both pretty good in close but Bird gets involved in link up play every now and again while Myers is too often stationary when he gets the ball.

I hope we keep him with Hocking likely to join Watson in retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back