AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

I would bet my bottom dollar stringer has abnormally tight ham strings so he uses the wrong muscles to powet himself. He looks like his pelvis tilts forwards instead of back. Correct this position and the rest of the muscles may work normally again
This is what I mean

Could be linked to what ant often mentions; he had a very bad leg break as a junior that altered his runing gait.

From the reports I have he has hamstring tightness due to a lower back issue. No actual hamstring tear . Not looking likely for round 1 unless he has a really strong week.

Last edited:

We ****ed up his program.
The Dogs always had him on a modified program. It worked for a lot of the time but he also went of the rails several times.
For us he was good in 2018 and 2019. Nothing much off field and was pretty fit.
2020 was an issue . Started okay but got injured and lost the focus while he was stuck in Melbourne away from the side and support. He came back fat and unfit.
The last two seasons he has been spot on through December and early Jan . Really fit. Doing all the work but the workload was too much for him and he did not make round 1 and as soon as he can not fully train he puts on 5 or 6 kg and loses the fitness. From what I know his broken leg from his under 18 days gives him a running gate that puts pressure on other parts of his body.

We got seduced by his football ability to play midfield as good as most at his best but the fact is his body does not take midfield workload. Was nothing to do with him. He stuck to the program pre season. The ended up with major groin soreness. 2021 it took him 4 games to get going again after missing the first two games.

Last year he can back in round 2 but was not right and not ready. He played with groin soreness all season.

This year he has been on a slow build. Scott mentioned the fact that they have sacrificed some early conditioning work to build him up strength wise in other areas. He has had a bit of back soreness but is now back doing normal running and some ball work.
5 or 6kg that quickly spins me out. Seems unreal.

5 or 6kg that quickly spins me out. Seems unreal.
I had to stop carb loading on a Friday night as I would put on 2kg. It was the trend back when I played but it was not for me. It happens to some of us.

I had to stop carb loading on a Friday night as I would put on 2kg. It was the trend back when I played but it was not for me. It happens to some of us.
I think it’s still the trend… lots of players when asked talk about their favourite meal of the week being the night before the game because they can have pizza and chips and all that kinda crap.

It works for them because they are supremely fitter than those running around in the ammos.

Sorry Ant!
Agree. No offence taken . :cool:
Although at the time I was pretty fit. Not AFL level but next level. My week was 3 nights training. 3km swim twice a week. Usually 15 to 20km on the bike every week and also a decent recovery session on Sunday morning. Also kept up the swimming and bike over summer with some running and cricket.
Not that you would know now if you saw me. :(

In full training, but won’t play round 1
Not playing this week. In full training but still has some of his training block to complete so he is ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward Jake Stringer will not be available for Essendon’s opening round clash against Hawthorn.

The Bombers’ excitement-machine succumbed to a hamstring strain in the lead-up to the practice game against the Gold Coast Suns.

Stringer has progressively built up his training loads to ensure he has unrestricted training with the main group.

General Manager of Performance Daniel McPherson said the 28-year-old has put in a solid two-week block of running and kicking with his injury progressing well.

“Our performance team have put together a comprehensive plan with Jake to get him back to his best post injury. He participated in a strong session on Saturday, and we want to make sure he has block of full training with the main group before he is available for selection,” McPherson said.

“It’s a long season ahead and we want to ensure Jake is fully ready to go when he returns to play, so we won’t be rushing him back.”

Who came up with this dumb concept of fat shaming Stringer?

He's a professional athlete and can't make it through a pre-season to which he turns up overweight (3 or 4 years in a row now).

His being (sports) fat wouldn't be an issue if he was available 20 weeks a year and played well consistently. Some suspect physiques Hurley had throughout his career were barely mentioned. Jeremy McGovern is another who has had a suspect physique.

Stinger is paid north of $600k a year and not professional enough to stay in shape and it costs us. If we're serious he will be traded at the end of the year and it won't matter if we can't get more than a third round pick.

Last edited:
Who came up with this dumb concept of fat shaming Stringer?

He's a professional athlete and can't make it through a pre-season to which he turns up overweight (3 or 4 years in a row now).

His being (sports) fat wouldn't be an issue if he was available 20 weeks a year and played well consistently. Some suspect physiques Hurley had throughout his career were barely mentioned. Jeremy McGovern is another who has had a suspect physique.

Stinger is paid north of $600k a year and not professional enough to stay in shape and it costs us. If we're serious he will be traded at the end of the year and it won't matter if we can't get more than a third round pick.

Same people who decided Melksham was on steroids because he looked vascular in 15 seconds of video footage.

The problem isn’t that HE looks any more unfit than he has at any point in his career, the problem is that WE have proven incapable of building his base to the point where him missing 3 weeks of pre season doesn’t catastrophically ruin his year.

He should have gone to Geelong when given the chance.

Same people who decided Melksham was on steroids because he looked vascular in 15 seconds of video footage.

The problem isn’t that HE looks any more unfit than he has at any point in his career, the problem is that WE have proven incapable of building his base to the point where him missing 3 weeks of pre season doesn’t catastrophically ruin his year.

He should have gone to Geelong when given the chance.

How exactly do we fail to build the base of a 28 year old with 10 years in the game?

It is purely on Stringer. He chooses whether to take responsibility for his career. He had chosen not to.

Yes he should have gone to Geelong because that team can wear the bad and just focus on the good.

How exactly do we fail to build the base of a 28 year old with 10 years in the game?

It is purely on Stringer. He chooses whether to take responsibility for his career. He had chosen not to.

Yes he should have gone to Geelong because that team can wear the bad and just focus on the good.

The same reason Geelong can get Jeremy Cameron back from a hamstring strain in 2 and a half weeks without missing a beat when it’s a 6 week injury for everyone else. They’re good, we’re not.

He should have gone to Geelong because the evidence shows us they can build a higher fitness base, better than anyone else out there and their players come back faster, without missing a beat.

They can look after him, the dogs could look after him, the evidence suggests we cannot.

The same reason Geelong can get Jeremy Cameron back from a hamstring strain in 2 and a half weeks without missing a beat when it’s a 6 week injury for everyone else. They’re good, we’re not.

He should have gone to Geelong because the evidence shows us they can build a higher fitness base, better than anyone else out there and their players come back faster, without missing a beat.

They can look after him, the dogs could look after him, the evidence suggests we cannot.
Have they been investing more heavily in sports science than anyone else, or is it dumb luck?

Have they been investing more heavily in sports science than anyone else, or is it dumb luck?

I don’t think it’s luck, Dangerfield in particular speaks glowingly about Geelong’s ability to build exceptionally high base levels which means they bounce back from injury faster and someone like Stewart can come back from a long enforced layoff and look like he’s missed no time.

I think they’ve just cracked the code. Meanwhile we’re at the opposite end of the spectrum with a player who probably needs that considered approach that we cannot provide.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s luck, Dangerfield in particular speaks glowingly about Geelong’s ability to build exceptionally high base levels which means they bounce back from injury faster and someone like Stewart can come back from a long enforced layoff and look like he’s missed no time.

I think they’ve just cracked the code. Meanwhile we’re at the opposite end of the spectrum with a player who probably needs that considered approach that we cannot provide.
Maybe the players are better drilled as far as rehab goes. They have had plenty of long term injuries. Zack Merrett came back earlier than expected last year.
Could also be part of their drafting policy .

Dangerfield went like a busted arse in 2021 as did Cameron. As I read what happened there, they learned from their mistakes. Scott said as much.

The Cats couldn't get Cockatoo up and running. They will have had their fair share of players they have struggled to get right. Esava strikes me as one but I'm not prepared to die on that hill.

I'm as much a fan of Geelong, and respect what they do as much, as anyone who doesn't specifically follow them. They don't have a magic wand.

Stringer was essentially shown the door by a reasonably strong outfit that had just won a flag. Bevo punted him publicly in a moment of surgery induced stupor if I remember correctly.

It is not just our operation that has struggled with Stringer. The objective evidence is that he lacks professionalism. It is extremely close to being an incontestable fact that players who do not properly prepare themselves suffer injury problems.

In addition, not everything we do is wrong. Laverede, Ridley and Redman all started with a lot of bad luck and missed a lot of footy early. They have become very durable. Baldwin hasn't missed a beat in about 20 months after consecutive ACLs. Tex got through his first year unscathed off no base and injury problems.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back