AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Who in todays Age podcast does it refer to Stringer speaking to a former player from the bulldogs to come across to us....anyone hear it...
I'm assuming you mean someone Stringer spoke to before he came to Essendon, who was a former Bulldogs player? As mentioned above Adam Cooney was talking to Stringer a lot before he came to Essendon at the end of last year, and was on the record about all of that at the time.

If you mean Stringer is talking to someone else at the Dogs about them coming here... that seems like an odd thing to make the news :think:

Who in todays Age podcast does it refer to Stringer speaking to a former player from the bulldogs to come across to us....anyone hear it...

Former Dogs players still playing Ward, Higgins, Hamling, Jones, Hrovat, Griffen, Harbrow, Reid and Stevens.

I'm going with Stringer telling Wallis to come to Essendon.
Forgive the intrusion, but there are lot of people with good information on our board (and elsewhere) who have suggested Wallis is already out the door at season's end with Carlton and Essendon the two frontrunners.
Gold Coast are interested by Wallis won't leave Melbourne.

Carlton would probably offer more $$$ but Essendon would be more likely as Mitch has connections to the Essendon area and his father Steve is the co-owner of a car dealership with an Essendon coterie member.

He's a FA so won't cost you a draft pick.

Forgive the intrusion, but there are lot of people with good information on our board (and elsewhere) who have suggested Wallis is already out the door at season's end with Carlton and Essendon the two frontrunners.

Carlton would probably offer more $$$ but Essendon would be more likely as Mitch has connections to the Essendon area and his father Steve is the co-owner of a car dealership with an Essendon coterie member.

Interstring with Wines staying put I suspect the club will ramp up it's pursuit in getting Wallis

Some interesting tidbits there.

Interstring with Wines staying put I suspect the club will be pursuing Wallis.
It really wouldn't take much to get him across. The alternative suitor is Carlton. It would take all of about 3 seconds to look at each list and decide which side is closer to finals.

It really wouldn't take much to get him across. The alternative suitor is Carlton. It would take all of about 3 seconds to look at each list and decide which side is closer to finals.

I'm merely speculating, obviously, but I imagine if he was a bit closer to 30 and had played in your flag-winning side, the extra money + a mentoring/coaching role later might be a more attractive option at Carlton. As it is, he still has unfinished business about to enter his prime years, so hopefully he sees it the same way you do ;)

Don't know if they are mates but having Stringer at Essendon would also make the choice easier.
Stringer is still mates with a lot of Bulldog players. After he was traded he still travelled to the US with a few of the boys, I know Suckling was one. Wallis is pretty popular at the club too so I imagine they are mates, I know with the football appearance stuff players have to do Mitch and Jake were paired on quite a few occasions.

I just hope you give him a decent enough contract to get us a reasonable pick so yes there's a vested interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra, curious on the Dogs perspective on Wallis potentially leaving; what's the general consensus?

Stringer is still mates with a lot of Bulldog players. After he was traded he still travelled to the US with a few of the boys, I know Suckling was one. Wallis is pretty popular at the club too so I imagine they are mates, I know with the football appearance stuff players have to do Mitch and Jake were paired on quite a few occasions.

I just hope you give him a decent enough contract to get us a reasonable pick so yes there's a vested interest.

We offered Devon Smith 4 years (i think) can see us offering the same to Wallis.

Mofra, curious on the Dogs perspective on Wallis potentially leaving; what's the general consensus?
Most of us are resigned to it, but most of us a truly mystified at team selection and where players are playing on the field this season.

Wallis has spent quite a bit of time forward this year. His kicking doesn't have a lot of penetration but it's straight, he very accurate kicking for goal within 30-40m.
As an inside mid he's very good at the 'on the knees' contested stuff but at this stage we're light on for mids so we're asking our group to do a lot which means even our inside mids need to provide a lot of spread.

You would know your list better than I would but I see your list as having much, much better outside run than ours so you would have the luxury of playing Wallis more to his real inside-grunt-strength and leaving the outside run to your jets. If he releases Heppell/Z Merrett just a couple of times each quarter that probably results in, say, 8 extra inside 50s per game.
He's a fantastic tackler too, had 10 against the Crows then was dropped and the next week in the coaching press conference Bevo bemoaned our lack of tacking pressure in the centre (vs Collingwood) which had many Bulldogs supporters looking for a brick wall to smash our heads against.

Very hard trainer so no issues off field. I'd argue to keep him but it's moot, he's gone next year.

Most of us are resigned to it, but most of us a truly mystified at team selection and where players are playing on the field this season.

Wallis has spent quite a bit of time forward this year. His kicking doesn't have a lot of penetration but it's straight, he very accurate kicking for goal within 30-40m.
As an inside mid he's very good at the 'on the knees' contested stuff but at this stage we're light on for mids so we're asking our group to do a lot which means even our inside mids need to provide a lot of spread.

You would know your list better than I would but I see your list as having much, much better outside run than ours so you would have the luxury of playing Wallis more to his real inside-grunt-strength and leaving the outside run to your jets. If he releases Heppell/Z Merrett just a couple of times each quarter that probably results in, say, 8 extra inside 50s per game.
He's a fantastic tackler too, had 10 against the Crows then was dropped and the next week in the coaching press conference Bevo bemoaned our lack of tacking pressure in the centre (vs Collingwood) which had many Bulldogs supporters looking for a brick wall to smash our heads against.

Very hard trainer so no issues off field. I'd argue to keep him but it's moot, he's gone next year.
Wow. Seems like a perplexing decision on all parts then. He seems to fit the mould of what we want perfectly, I was just curious as to why there didn't seem to be much of a resistance to him leaving. Cheers for the insight!

Not sure Wallis fills a need but he's almost too good a footballer not to get if the price is right.

I hope we don't get into a bidding war with Carlton over him as they would likely pay through the nose to get him.

Not sure Wallis fills a need but he's almost too good a footballer not to get if the price is right.

I hope we don't get into a bidding war with Carlton over him as they would likely pay through the nose to get him.

He fills the need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back