Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy how quick the tide changes. Who would've thought this day would come - being content with Parker playing VFL in arguably the prime of his career. Meanwhile we now have Adams taking his place which still feels so foreign to me, always seen him as a part of the furniture at Collingwood.

Can change quick, who knows how they are thinking, Parker may just play the rest of the year.

Even just as the sub (ironic after 2012) I'd be happy fitting Parker in.

You think if Mccartin is fit, then Francis just goes out and maybe unluckily Fox goes, then Parker is the perfect sub , can mark and goal, play forward .

Hey he used to be third man up in the ruck 😂

Maybe sounds dumb but campbell I think is better playing full VFL than AFL sub.

You think if Mccartin is fit, then Francis just goes out and maybe unluckily Fox goes, then Parker is the perfect sub , can mark and goal, play forward .

Hey he used to be third man up in the ruck 😂

Maybe sounds dumb but campbell I think is better playing full VFL than AFL sub.
I can see Parker being the sub if it weren't for lack of game time.

I can see Parker being the sub if it weren't for lack of game time.

Yep based on the horse presser i just watched I am guessing Parker is in the VFL again .

Mills is more versatile but if we keep going the way we are he will also come in through the twos.
Parker had a couple of blinders last year then struggled to find that form again. It's a great situation to have that Parker , Campbell and Mills are all going to be in the mix by the end of the season.

I can't believe the amount of doubt in this thread. I think Parker is superior to Adams in all facets of the game. But it does very much look like a decision of maintaining the balance of a performing side.

I don't think you mess with the midfield going up against Carlton. They're likely going to feature in finals so you want to be at your best against them. Particularly given they have a strong midfield.

Then we have dogs, bye, cats. There's no real opportune time over the next month to give Parker a run. Comes down to form/injuries it would seem. Although, the sub could be a good way to give him a run and see how his inclusion impacts team dynamics.

I can't believe the amount of doubt in this thread. I think Parker is superior to Adams in all facets of the game. But it does very much look like a decision of maintaining the balance of a performing side.

I don't think you mess with the midfield going up against Carlton. They're likely going to feature in finals so you want to be at your best against them. Particularly given they have a strong midfield.

Then we have dogs, bye, cats. There's no real opportune time over the next month to give Parker a run. Comes down to form/injuries it would seem. Although, the sub could be a good way to give him a run and see how his inclusion impacts team dynamics.

Adams makes better choices with the ball, give me someone getting it 20 times making the right decision than Parker and his 30 times with at least half nowhere near where we’d want them to go including at least 5 kick and hopes. This is why I’d rather him FWD and I feel this is his position but it would require a change in structure and I get Horse not doing it so it may be just that Parker becomes depth and that’s a fantastic thing it means the synergy in the middle and the team is outstanding

Adams makes better choices with the ball, give me someone getting it 20 times making the right decision than Parker and his 30 times with at least half nowhere near where we’d want them to go including at least 5 kick and hopes. This is why I’d rather him FWD and I feel this is his position but it would require a change in structure and I get Horse not doing it so it may be just that Parker becomes depth and that’s a fantastic thing it means the synergy in the middle and the team is outstanding
I get that. But when Parker has been part of stronger midfields he has been able to use the ball in a much cleaner fashion. When hes the primary ball winner with minimal support, the opposition are going to target him, meaning almost all of his posessions will have a lot of heat. When Parker is brought back into the current midfield, he'd get cleaner ball and would be much more polished with his disposal. He's been able to use the ball more effectively when he's been able to get more clean uncontested possessions rather than having players hanging off him whenever he gets the ball.

I get that. But when Parker has been part of stronger midfields he has been able to use the ball in a much cleaner fashion. When hes the primary ball winner with minimal support, the opposition are going to target him, meaning almost all of his posessions will have a lot of heat. When Parker is brought back into the current midfield, he'd get cleaner ball and would be much more polished with his disposal. He's been able to use the ball more effectively when he's been able to get more clean uncontested possessions rather than having players hanging off him whenever he gets the ball.

Hardly convinced he won’t kick and hope it 15 times a game straight to the opposition for his so called “territory” rubbish disposal. Put him FWD and then let’s get him in that way but it will require us to drop a tall and I’m not dropping Wicks or any other pressure forward

Hardly convinced he won’t kick and hope it 15 times a game straight to the opposition for his so called “territory” rubbish disposal. Put him FWD and then let’s get him in that way but it will require us to drop a tall and I’m not dropping Wicks or any other pressure forward
I'm confident we'll see a different performance from Parker. It may not be without ANY hack kicks. But I'm confident his disposal will improve when he comes back in.

Does anyone see Parker as a straight swap for Wicks?

I’d suggest we’d get a better return if that was the case, at least this year.

Otherwise it’s hard to see who Parker replaces - Not Adams, Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom , Warner., Hayward

Maybe Papley or Jordan.

He’s not really a backman so Rampe and Fox are safe

He could possibly do Lloyds job?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confident we'll see a different performance from Parker. It may not be without ANY hack kicks. But I'm confident his disposal will improve when he comes back in.

Adams doesn’t do it at all thanks but I’m taking Adams rather than this great white hope that Parker might actually kick it to his own player rather than 10 feet in the air. Play Parker forward and rejig the forward line

Otherwise it’s hard to see who Parker replaces - Not Adams, Heeney, Gulden, Rowbottom , Warner., Hayward

Maybe Papley or Jordan.

Wicks seems the obvious one to me, although he doesn't deserve to be dropped. That is kind of the problem.

Wicks seems the obvious one to me, although he doesn't deserve to be dropped. That is kind of the problem.

The games we looked horrid coincided with us leaving Wicks out.

Maybe Papley or Jordan.

Up forward we either lose significant height or defensive pressure if we swap him for anyone there. He really has to play in the guts and in there he's competing for a spot with players who are all basically having career best seasons.

It sucks because he's far too good to be in the reserves and would walk into most teams in the comp right now, including Geelong.

The ways I see him getting back in:

1. An injury to one of Adams, Warner, Heeney or Rowbottom
2. A drop in form to Adams, or a drop in form to Jordon with a reshuffle of other positions to fit him in.
3. A few injuries to mids & forwards with a reshuffle to fit him in
4. As sub

I think Parker has to come in for Wicks tbh as he is in the side to be a pressure forward and currently his number for being a pressure forward are down roughly 20-30% on what he was in 2023 (accounting for Sub games so far in 2024). I think you could easily bring Parker in to just be a contested mark and play on ball when in the forward line and all you need from him is 3 tackles and a goal a game for him to be an upgrade on Wicks. Because we sort of have JJ who is doing what we want out Wicks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 5.28.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 5.28.59 PM.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 5.28.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 5.28.47 PM.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 8
Not sure what makes you think Adams is a better kick than Parker, their career kicking efficiency is identical at 56%.

Not sure what makes you think Adams is a better kick than Parker, their career kicking efficiency is identical at 56%.

That is the single worst stat in footy. Kicking it long to a contest is “effective”. Adams makes better decisions whether it be a give off or a kick. Lowers his eyes something Parker is dead set allergic to.

I would not want Parker to replace Wicks. I think it would weaken the side. Wicks is quick and very effective at pressuring in our forward half (even if statistics say that he isn't). I could even notice his improvement on Fox as the pressure forward.

I would have Parker replace Roberts. I think it would hurt the side's balance less than dropping one of our better running players like Wicks, Jordan, Mcinerney or Lloyd.

That is the single worst stat in footy. Kicking it long to a contest is “effective”. Adams makes better decisions whether it be a give off or a kick. Lowers his eyes something Parker is dead set allergic to.
well that makes it worse for Adams in that case if he's lowering the eyes and going at 56% on short hit up kicks.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Parker replaces Adams either.

Honestly you have no idea

He was a hopeless kick at the pies just ask them.

Parker wipes the floor with him as a hf/mid role

Jordon has probably taken Fox spot up forward. Mills will take Roberts spot when he comes back. Parker will replace Fox. It’s the most obvious outcome.

Imagine calling on Luke Parker halfway through the third during finals as sub.

Honestly you have no idea

He was a hopeless kick at the pies just ask them.

Parker wipes the floor with him as a hf/mid role

I have no issue playing Parker forward said that last week and say it again. Amartey had a great game last week that’s the issue. No position up forward for Parker this week there probably is in a week or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Back