Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

From watching on TV Mcinerney looked quiet
He has the potential to influence games in our favour with just a few plays
Im not sure what his role was yesterday
His role should have been playing in the VFL!
Not his fault he was named, but he did nothing more yesterday than he's done most of the year while the player who should have played warmed the bench.

His role should have been playing in the VFL!
Not his fault he was named, but he did nothing more yesterday than he's done most of the year while the player who should have played warmed the bench.
Still had decent metres gained (2nd for the team) but his output has dropped. Down 4 possessions on his season average.

His best two games this season were against North and West Coast. Those two games showed his potential but they were also against the two weakest teams in the competition.

His season average was boosted by those games but ignore those and he has been steady and fairly consistent. Still a work in progress with the likes of Warner and Rowbottom.

Only just played is 43rd game.

Still had decent metres gained (2nd for the team) but his output has dropped. Down 4 possessions on his season average.

His best two games this season were against North and West Coast. Those two games showed his potential but they were also against the two weakest teams in the competition.

His season average was boosted by those games but ignore those and he has been steady and fairly consistent. Still a work in progress with the likes of Warner and Rowbottom.

Only just played is 43rd game.
Agree with everything you've said and certainly see his upside, but I personally don't believe he should have been an automatic inclusion, particularly at the expense of a player that came in and did exactly what was needed and more.
In the end, I don't think either Clarke playing or McInerney not playing was the difference.

He is still covering the ground so the knee maybe just excuses

Like others he just isn’t having the year he was having last year

Dawson leaving could be a reason he isn’t freed up as much but needs to adapt

Still think he will be an A grader when he gets to 100 games but defently having a down year

No shame in it. Other than a developing first year when he simply wasn't ready for AFL, he's had a great start to his career.

We seem to be struggling to get that loose ball out the back from our defensive exits. McInerney was electric pouncing on those and getting out the back to carry the ball from defence into attack. Blakey is doing as Dawson did and launching it 60m out from defence, so the kick itself is still happening, but then once we get it in that 60-70m zone in the back half, things seem to hit a wall. That connection between the ground level players trying to feed that ball out, and the runner trying to collect it out the back just isn't there. Not sure why but I think all involved are worse off because of it.

His defensive work has been pretty solid but he seems to have no confidence with ball in hand at the moment. Not moving well either, haven't seen his usual bursts of pace. Fatigued, carrying a niggle or both in my reckoning.

I know we're celebrating him, but he's showing similar signs to Hayward and Blakey before we dropped them. Needs some confidence in the reserves, and now it's probably too late.
Is there a VFL game next week? He probably has the tank to play out the finals series potentially without a break. Although not sure if form has to do with his injury earlier on the season so the extra break might do him a world of good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not prepared to say he's back in form, but that was the best he's played since his first two games this season. There was that spring in his step to actually impact contests, and his ball use was back to sublime. Hopefully a premiership player this time next week ahead of a big pre-season. Absolute young gun IMO.

I said earlier in the year that an inform McInerney would go a long way to getting us a premiership, and I think McInerney's game was needed yesterday (as was basically everyone's).

Very excited to see him light up the SCG

Nice interview here with McInerney. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I love when they put a mic and camera in front of the boys who aren't quite as eloquent or well versed in public speaking, like McInerney and Florent. They mean to answer down the line but have little Freudian slips that the pros don't have, and they just shed a little more light on their characters and their thoughts.

Nice interview here with McInerney. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I love when they put a mic and camera in front of the boys who aren't quite as eloquent or well versed in public speaking, like McInerney and Florent. They mean to answer down the line but have little Freudian slips that the pros don't have, and they just shed a little more light on their characters and their thoughts.

I love it. Some players are just too perfect before a camera and it’s almost boring. Heeney is a good example, I love him and he’s the face of the team but I know exactly what he’ll say.

It’s refreshing to listen to the guys who aren’t as polished to get a more realistic idea of how they’re feeling leading up to a grand final. The Paddy interview right after the prelim was as raw as it gets and I was also sort of hoping they would just let him go because he didn’t seem like he wanted to be filmed in that moment. He needed a good cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it. Some players are just too perfect before a camera and it’s almost boring. Heeney is a good example, I love him and he’s the face of the team but I know exactly what he’ll say.

It’s refreshing to listen to the guys who aren’t as polished to get a more realistic idea of how they’re feeling leading up to a grand final. The Paddy interview right after the prelim was as raw as it gets and I was also sort of hoping they would just let him go because he didn’t seem like he wanted to be filmed in that moment. He needed a good cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait til you hear Mills! Gives the world's shortest and most mundane answers to questions - suddenly makes so much sense why Horse has always loved him. Kindred spirits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back