Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure if he will get a game this year haven't seen anything of him but looks way too light for our contested style of footy

we're a good team now we don't have to play kids for the sake of it

But we have to play them at some point for the sake of them!!

Looking at the fixture for the rest of the year the only games that you'd gift him at this stage are the next two weeks. With Bulldogs resurgent and the game against Port over there every other game will be difficult.

That said I think we make him bash down the door and then only give him a game as sub.

I don't mind him missing weeks, like he will this week with the break for interstate game. It give the Weapon a chance to work him over!!

Also very excited about this kid. I think with Watson, Stanton and Hocking we have a good set of mature age mids and with the kids coming through we don't need to trade for anything that will be overs. Just think coming through we have Zaka, Heppell, Melksham, Colyer, Myers and now Kavanagh and Merrett as well as some talent with Lee on the rookie list. With Dyson finally becoming a player (I think he was nearly there in 09 too but injuries interupted his progress) we have him, Jetta and Dempsey providing heaps of run off the flanks. Long can hopefully add to that in the future.

Personally I wouldn't want to go the trade route unless an absolute bargain falls into our hands. That is something we can look at if we finish top 4 next year and the year after but see a big gap between us and those that make the GF. Once the list is more mature it should be more obvious what ingredient is missing.

Edit: I'm a bit a of a broken record on this but there is no rush to play him. If he continues to play like he did last week for a few weeks then he should get a little taste at some point.

Given the standard that has been set for player conditioning it seems as though he is doing an extended preseason for 2013.
My thoughts exactly.

Happy for him not to get a game this year. Lets give him time to find his feet, make sure his body (i.e. hamstring) is 100% ready for the rigours of senior footy.

Re: #28: Elliot Kavanagh - Producing excitement in the magoos | Should he get a game?

If he is to debut at some point this year, I hope they don't make him a sub.

In fact, i hate that any debut game is spent on the bench until the 4th quarter. You only get 1 chance to debut, and i think it is robbing players of a huge moment a bit when they are kept out of it for so long.

You have to wonder what being the sub does for player development. It seems that the position is more suited to an experienced player than it is a guy starting out because you need you sub to have as big an impact as possible.

My thoughts exactly.

It is very exciting. He is basically going to be a gun new recruit.

Happy for him not to get a game this year. Lets give him time to find his feet, make sure his body (i.e. hamstring) is 100% ready for the rigours of senior footy.

See I don't agree with this. Yes he needs to get his body ready in regards to size but his hammy has nothing to do with it. You can pull a hammy at training or playing in the 2s just as easily as in the seniors. There is not a hope in hell that a youngster trying to make his way into AFL wouldn't be giving everything he has into every game at Bendigo. He would know full well that he has every chance to do a serious injury before he gets a game and if he shows enough now the club will be willing to persist with him.

Re: #28: Elliot Kavanagh - Producing excitement in the magoos | Should he get a game?

I really don't see any damage in playing him against GWS. If anything, it would be a good way for him to realize where he's at, having played well in the 2's.

I like that it's getting tougher and tougher to break into the team, but it's not that much to ask. He would be playing against kids his own age anyway.

I agree that we should not rush him in, however, if he continues to knock the door, do we play him? or let him play the year in the Magoos?

He needs to get a taste even if its as the sub for a game or 2. He has to get an idea just how big the gap between VFL and AFL is. Thats something that you have to learn from first hand experience.
Then let him continue to dominate and build confidence in the VFL.

He needs to get a taste even if its as the sub for a game or 2. He has to get an idea just how big the gap between VFL and AFL is. Thats something that you have to learn from first hand experience.
Then let him continue to dominate and build confidence in the VFL.

I guess, I've no doubt though that his form will warrant selection soon enough though..

Even if it is for one or two games late in the year, he will be a gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruno, well said :thumbsu:

I agree that we should not rush him in, however, if he continues to knock the door, do we play him? or let him play the year in the Magoos?

You wouldn't not play him for the sake of it. I just wouldn't play him unless his form is good enough to suggest that he could actually impact an AFL match for 3 quarters. Given that he has missed out on so much footy it seems as though he'd be better off playing 4 quarters of VFL in the middle rather than beign a bit part player at AFL level.

See I don't agree with this. Yes he needs to get his body ready in regards to size but his hammy has nothing to do with it. You can pull a hammy at training or playing in the 2s just as easily as in the seniors. There is not a hope in hell that a youngster trying to make his way into AFL wouldn't be giving everything he has into every game at Bendigo. He would know full well that he has every chance to do a serious injury before he gets a game and if he shows enough now the club will be willing to persist with him.

Use your noggin. Playing in the seniors is faster and physically more demanding than the VFL. You are more likely to injure yourself when the body is fatigued and put under stress, the stress and fatigue for a kid with a slight frame and half a pre-season under his belt is increased greatly.

We're flying atm, why would we risk the future of such a good young prospect just to get a glimpse? Just not worth it, better to let him develop and come out flying next year*

*has no impact on my view on things, but would also be awesome for SC next year. :p

I think judd is a lot like pendlebury.

One finds space, one makes space.
One is very quick off the mark, one is meh, but has the clue to not need speed.

Re: #28: Elliot Kavanagh - Producing excitement in the magoos | Misses out against GWS

Shit, I can't get a thing right, my troll radar is off.
Wait, I got my Green V apparently..
Didn't notice it.

Re: #28: Elliot Kavanagh - Producing excitement in the magoos | Misses out against GWS

Not sure why everyone is so keen to rush his development and bring him in. I'm sure if he has 4 or 5 good games in a row at Bendigo they will consider him but for now he should develop in the VFL.

Bendigo allows Essendon flexibility in the way they look after players. For Kavanagh some weeks he will play a full game, other he will play half a game and sometimes he won't play at all. Essendon are able to nurse his body through all the rigours of a players first year training at AFL level.

You don't have this flexibility when you're playing at AFL level, even if it is only the sub. As we saw in our first couple of games when we had to use the sub before half time and the fact is Kavanagh is not ready yet.

Black Kavanagh heading down the main straight at flemington...overtakes a few...hes coming....100 to go...wow...AMAZING !

Not sure why everyone is so keen to rush his development and bring him in.

You make clear and relevant points, so well done.

But this, everyone? Really? Not sure about that.

I reckon more would prefer to leave him out of the seniors for the moment. That's my take on it though. Obviously yours is different.

Yeah, im with the club's approach on this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back