Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this board sees a player hit up a regulation inside 50 and think that this somehow proves they are gonna be a serious player.

The amount of times I've seen commenters fawn over Will Phillips completing a BASIC football skill and thinking he is somehow a special talent...

Pretty much every player that debuts for us, you see the comments after the match, "we have one" or "he is going to be a player" - EVERY ******* TIME. Go see Riley Harderman thread.

You all set yourselves up for disappointment. If a player can hit up a leading player inside 50, thats just the minimum ******* expectation of a professional AFL footballer.

Agreed.

And even from his draft video that propelled some excitement, he was hurried, never showed any capacity to hit a hard one, had zero kicking depth and just hoovered around teenagers being sort of clean and sort of sharp but nothing that was going to make the leap to the big time.

I don't even care anymore who we could have drafted but didn't. I care that every 18 year old in the country was available and we picked a player at 3 so clearly devoid of talent and weapons that it truly blows me away.

Agreed.

And even from his draft video that propelled some excitement, he was hurried, never showed any capacity to hit a hard one, had zero kicking depth and just hoovered around teenagers being sort of clean and sort of sharp but nothing that was going to make the leap to the big time.

I don't even care anymore who we could have drafted but didn't. I care that every 18 year old in the country was available and we picked a player at 3 so clearly devoid of talent and weapons that it truly blows me away.
You contrast his video with LDU and it’ll blow your head clean off.

The Swines have some great floppers.

That reversal in the first just as Hardwick kicked the goal was a massive flop.

Swines player runs at Chol who pushes him off is ******* ridiculous call. Swines player causes it by running at Chol looking for a flop.

Umpires are Swines cucks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this board sees a player hit up a regulation inside 50 and think that this somehow proves they are gonna be a serious player.

The amount of times I've seen commenters fawn over Will Phillips completing a BASIC football skill and thinking he is somehow a special talent...

Pretty much every player that debuts for us, you see the comments after the match, "we have one" or "he is going to be a player" - EVERY ******* TIME. Go see Riley Harderman thread.

You all set yourselves up for disappointment. If a player can hit up a leading player inside 50, thats just the minimum ******* expectation of a professional AFL footballer.
At least you know where to go if you need a turd polished. NM Big Footy is your first stop.

He might have been one of those inside midfielders that fades from top 10 contention during his draft year as his limitations get picked over in more detail. Like Will Lorenz or Adam D’Aloia. Except there was no U18 footy his draft year.
heck off Bulldogs supporter. Sorry, that was a reflex.

His bottom age year is all that anyone had to judge him on, as you say, and he was playing third fiddle to a couple of handy players in Rowell and Anderson at Oakleigh. It's quite possible that in his top age year, if not for Covid, he may well have slipped down the list. One thing's for sure, that draft year was no belter.

He had a run of games last year and did really well.
But apparently, he is not good defensively on the spread and for that reason, despite the many good things he does, he was banished to rot in the VFL.
I wish the coaching group would stop focusing on what Wil does wrong, and what he is bloody good at!
I wonder what the coaches have Captain Luke working on?

Anyway back on will. Just heard kingy on 360 say just put sheez in the guts. Obviously closes a spot in the middle for will so he really just has to go back to the magoos and try and kick the door down.

Last edited:
Tough for WillPhil, lost his draft year to covid, then glandular which is realistically 18-24 months recovery, god knows what that is for an elite athlete.

That said even in my apathy watching us now I groaned as he passed out of 50 to one of our smallest players who was in a 1 on 2 situation, thats terrible decision making even in our stagnant lineup, I could see 100% why he was subbed off.

About to turn 22 and still probably 2 years off showing his best, do we persist?

I think there are enough others to go before him and maybe this buys him a little time ...... will be interesting where the club sees this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough for WillPhil, lost his draft year to covid, then glandular which is realistically 18-24 months recovery, god knows what that is for an elite athlete.

That said even in my apathy watching us now I groaned as he passed out of 50 to one of our smallest players who was in a 1 on 2 situation, thats terrible decision making even in our stagnant lineup, I could see 100% why he was subbed off.

About to turn 22 and still probably 2 years off showing his best, do we persist?

I think there are enough others to go before him and maybe this buys him a little time ...... will be interesting where the club sees this.
I think if Will Phil was to get another contract at Arden St, it would be time to shut the joint down. As harsh as that sounds. But I don't mix my words.

No, no we don't.

My previously unshakeable faith is being tested
Yeah it’s becoming increasingly difficult to stay positive. Regardless it’s becoming more obvious by the week that the club just don't see him as part of the future.

This guy was pick #67 in the draft 2 years before WillPhil and had glandular fever in February this year. So we need to stop the BS about an 18-24 month recovery. If you go back to early threads in the 2023 pre-season he was training the house down and this was going to be his year blah blah blah. I think we need to call it as a Bust and at the EOY the club and he part ways and he is thanked for his 4 years of service. He will have a few team mates with him in the departure lounge with 17 out of contract.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.png
    IMG_1579.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1580.png
    IMG_1580.png
    267 KB · Views: 65
He had a few 20 plus possession games last year but seems to have gone backwards. Maybe it's misguided, but I am still hopeful that he may become the ball pig we are in need of.
How? He struggles in the second tier. If he's not getting 30+ against amateur footy players he's not going to get it done at the top level. Should never have been picked after the pre season games and his VFL form, he's miles off it.

How? He struggles in the second tier. If he's not getting 30+ against amateur footy players he's not going to get it done at the top level. Should never have been picked after the pre season games and his VFL form, he's miles off it.
I get what you’re saying but the blokes dishing it to him aren’t giving it to him on a silver platter to extort it out of the midfield hey. We have a VFL ruckman who gets belted by 15+ more hit outs every week and we have fumbles Xerri in the AFL who would rather try and take possession of each CBA and somehow release it hoping that it goes to our midfielders who are already getting tackled before the ball has left his hands. None of our midfielders are flourishing.

Why do we look so much better in the midfield when Larkey is rucking for us? 4 years to Xerri…. Why not throw the book at Sean Darcy FFS

I get what you’re saying but the blokes dishing it to him aren’t giving it to him on a silver platter to extort it out of the midfield hey. We have a VFL ruckman who gets belted by 15+ more hit outs every week and we have fumbles Xerri in the AFL who would rather try and take possession of each CBA and somehow release it hoping that it goes to our midfielders who are already getting tackled before the ball has left his hands. None of our midfielders are flourishing.

Why do we look so much better in the midfield when Larkey is rucking for us? 4 years to Xerri…. Why not throw the book at Sean Darcy FFS
I've never seen so many excuses for a bloke that's just not up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back