Autopsy Loss to Sydney - quite literally no words will adequately sum this up

Remove this Banner Ad

A win would of done wonders for this group - especially with LDU, cunners and CZ not playing
the loss on the other hand will build some resilience, will also reinforce that we are not there just yet. i dont think either result would have been bad, another showing like last week though would have been unhealthy.

7 posted this, looks like same part of the ground:

OK - that vision is interesting as clearly the North official holding the sign has '29' on it so Phillips was the player due to come off - which would have made it the 75th rotation.

With only 1 minute left we probably thought it safe to make the last rotation - ie Phillips off.

However at exactly the same time Shiels has cramped up and ran to the boundary to take himself off. Shiels doesn't seem to know we are 75 as he is hurting so just runs off to allow fresh legs to come on.

2 learnings here for us

1. don't make the 75th rotation ie in this case Phillips - plan the rotations to end at 74 so there is no chance of going over;

2. when we are at 72/73/74 rotations then a sign must go up so players - like Shiels did - know we are close to the max and just don't run off without warning the North officials involved.

It appears this was a 'perfect storm' of unfortunate events building upon each other which resulted in the Sydney goal able to be kicked from the goal line in the dying seconds of the game.

However ultimately we need to and have owned the error - this can't happen again.

OK - that vision is interesting as clearly the North official holding the sign has '29' on it so Phillips was the player due to come off - which would have made it the 75th rotation.

With only 1 minute left we probably thought it safe to make the last rotation - ie Phillips off.

However at exactly the same time Shiels has cramped up and ran to the boundary to take himself off. Shiels doesn't seem to know we are 75 as he is hurting so just runs off to allow fresh legs to come on.

2 learnings here for us

1. don't make the 75th rotation ie in this case Phillips - plan the rotations to end at 74 so there is no chance of going over;

2. when we are at 72/73/74 rotations then a sign must go up so players - like Shiels did - know we are close to the max and just don't run off without warning the North officials involved.

It appears this was a 'perfect storm' of unfortunate events building upon each other which resulted in the Sydney goal able to be kicked from the goal line in the dying seconds of the game.

However ultimately we need to and have owned the error - this can't happen again.
Yep - spot on. It was really the absolute worst way to lose a game but harsh to blame the bench if they'd never rehearsed the situation - I hope they do some scenario training this week to prevent a repeat though. I am betting that the bench team would be gutted. They'd be absolutely devastated.

The mistake was allowing a replacement to run on for Shiels. Him coming off is OK (although it leaves the team one short on the ground). Shiels can return without the count increasing and with no penalty. The correct action by the bench would have been to hold back any player from going on to replace him, although from the vision it looks like the benched players acted pretty autonomously - Greenwood was ready to run on for Will and Powell was up and ready when he saw Shiels come to the bench. Technically, the bench steward could have stopped and assessed but with a minute to go, the urgency would have created a level of pressure on them that led to the error of both interchanges being allowed.

As much as there were poor umpiring decisions all day long, when Griff took this mark with 1:46 to go and #29 ran through the protected space with no North opponent anywhere near, a 50 to Logue could have meant the ball was in the North half and also, the entire pressure dynamic of the last minute could have been altered.
1684661638645.png

Last edited:
Na, different rules and no relation between the two. The cap on rotations has nothing to do with making sure there is 18 on the field.
Exactly, so why is the penalty the same? What rationale is there in giving a free kick and a fifty metre penalty? Surely an interchange infringement is not as serious as having an extra player on the field!

That first 5 mins of the 4th may have been the adrenaline rush, but if we can produce that sort of momentum shift and put teams to the sword momentarily this early, we can achieve a hell of a lot more than that as a well-drilled mature unit.

That's really where premiership teams come from. The ability to take advantage of the momentum shift.

I don’t know where to put this observation, but Richard Marles looks like a not-quite-identical brother of Paul Roos.
Anyone see it?
No?
Okay. I’ll see myself out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still a bitter pill to swallow after yesterdays result. monumental stuff up that cost us the game in the end. seeing goldys face when that free kick was paid against in the last 20 seconds pretty much summed up the day and the farcical umpiring display.

however the white pill for all north fans is that the future is bright with sheez, wardlaw, phillips, ccj, curtis, ford and powell. bailey scott with what is hopefully a breakout game for him. sympkin leading the way as well with a true captains game. with him and ldu leading the way, it’s exciting times ahead for this group. just need to back it up against the pies this. no one is expecting us to win, just need to continue what we did against the swans and bring it to the pies.

Would of still been a shot from the line then - so fair enough

I bet from now on the interchange stewards will say you can’t make that change
Need to get this system in...

Attachments

• computer-says-no.gif
    computer-says-no.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
Haha nah I was on level 3 😇

Fair enough.

Girls l go with reported those blokes 3 times. He was mates with the security !

I'll ask again. Why were those seats ( Schimma club ) members reserved seats marked with green seat covers on the aisle as " general admission " ? Been in that same seat 22 years. Never seen it before.

IIRC North fans were expressing their displeasure at another howler from the four blind as badgers umpires and one said Swans fan who’d infiltrated the Schimma Club thought it wise to tell all in Sunbury to shut up. That began the angst.

The fight after the siren?

I was about 8 rows up behind it.

That swans fan had it coming but people need to be mindful of kids being around

Right. I only saw it brewing earlier. By the final siren I wanted to fight anyone wearing fluoro green and didn’t notice what was going on behind us.

Forgot this. Was it 3rd q Saturday ? Swans getting an AFL leg up.

Looking at the scoreboard ( as you do ) and we had kicked a goal. Cola's were now only 20 points up. I thought, hang on a minute, they weren't 26 points up were they ? Bloody officials had given our goal to them ! 😡 And AFL worried about interchanges !

Looking at the scoreboard ( as you do ) and we had kicked a goal. Cola's were now only 20 points up. I thought, hang on a minute, they weren't 26 points up were they ? Bloody officials had given our goal to them ! 😡 And AFL worried about interchanges !
Yep, I saw it too. Luckily they fixed it within about 30 seconds. Mind I wouldn't put it past them to have given a few of their interchanges to us and nobody noticed.

Would never bend the rules apart from climbing the occasional goalpost.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
For one of our set shots on goal (to the right of screen for those who were watching at home) the left goal post was wobbling tremendously. Was there some pushing and a player collided with it?

I just assumed it was a couple on inventive Sydney defenders cheating the game again.

Exactly, so why is the penalty the same? What rationale is there in giving a free kick and a fifty metre penalty? Surely an interchange infringement is not as serious as having an extra player on the field!
As I said before, just imagine if it was Sydney that had done the breach and they rotate a tall forward off for a small forward. That small forward goes to the stoppage and snaps the winning goal, for us to find out after we lost that that guy shouldn’t have been on the field. Peoples heads would explode.

For one of our set shots on goal (to the right of screen for those who were watching at home) the left goal post was wobbling tremendously. Was there some pushing and a player collided with it?

I just assumed it was a couple on inventive Sydney defenders cheating the game again.
That was Dane Rampe, rule-follower.

They did it against Essendon when the Bombers were having a shot after the siren to win a game . Guess what nothing happened it should be 50metres going by the rules apparently

Looking at the scoreboard ( as you do ) and we had kicked a goal. Cola's were now only 20 points up. I thought, hang on a minute, they weren't 26 points up were they ? Bloody officials had given our goal to them ! And AFL worried about interchanges !
Q2 Hoj. 7.8 should have been 6.7. AFL app was correct and it was adjusted before HT.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep - spot on. It was really the absolute worst way to lose a game but harsh to blame the bench if they'd never rehearsed the situation - I hope they do some scenario training this week to prevent a repeat though. I am betting that the bench team would be gutted. They'd be absolutely devastated.

The mistake was allowing a replacement to run on for Shiels. Him coming off is OK (although it leaves the team one short on the ground). Shiels can return without the count increasing and with no penalty. The correct action by the bench would have been to hold back any player from going on to replace him, although from the vision it looks like the benched players acted pretty autonomously - Greenwood was ready to run on for Will and Powell was up and ready when he saw Shiels come to the bench. Technically, the bench steward could have stopped and assessed but with a minute to go, the urgency would have created a level of pressure on them that led to the error of both interchanges being allowed.

As much as there were poor umpiring decisions all day long, when Griff took this mark with 1:46 to go and #29 ran through the protected space with no North opponent anywhere near, a 50 to Logue could have meant the ball was in the North half and also, the entire pressure dynamic of the last minute could have been altered.
View attachment 1693327
Na, thats not a 50. He's moving out of the protected area after the mark is taken.

1684709854890.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back