Autopsy Loss to Sydney - quite literally no words will adequately sum this up

Remove this Banner Ad

Disgusting to hear the targeting of people who work at the club on social media, who are probably volunteers.
They made a mistake, its not worth doing that. The win wouldn't change much in the scheme of things.

The final interchange gaff was on par with a missed kick at goal. Nobody individually should be singled out for this loss.

Afterall we also:
  • Experienced terrible umpiring throughout the game
  • Missed several gettable shots at goal
  • Allowed Sydney to go end-to-end late in the game for long goals, with nobody in the square to stop them dribbling through
And as somebody said (apologies can't recall who) we have an ingrained habit of burning up leads on the rare occasions we've worked out into a late lead over the last 2+ years.

So this game was likely always burning that way however it played out.

The final interchange gaff was on par with a missed kick at goal. Nobody individually should be singled out for this loss.

Afterall we also:
  • Experienced terrible umpiring throughout the game
  • Missed several gettable shots at goal
  • Allowed Sydney to go end-to-end late in the game for long goals, with nobody in the square to stop them dribbling through
And as somebody said (apologies can't recall who) we have an ingrained habit of burning up leads on the rare occasions we've worked out into a late lead over the last 2+ years.

So this game was likely always burning that way however it played out.
It's a team that hasn't learnt to kill off games or how to save a game consistently. We held on against WCE and Freo so we can do it but sure it'd be nice to bury a game when we have the chance but that will come in time when the personnel changes to players with that killer instinct.
I get it was frustrating but the people involved would've been absolutely shattered themselves. They don't need a torrent of abuse.
Fix up the process so it doesn't happen again certainly.

Strangely, I didn't pick up watching live that Parker was BOG. Probably focused on us too much.

He's a very good player so probably earned it, just surprised I don't recall him for more than a couple of cameos.
Parker was excellent all day. There was a point five minutes either way of half time where I was thinking he was better than JY and therefore BOG. Thought Wardlaw actually got on top of him at times but not completely, while Scott really stepped up in the second half so I probably would have had the three of them equal. The coaches probably felt the same way.

Mav there was a moment in the last qtr when our player marked the ball and then stepped back off the markn as a team mate ran between him and the Sydney player on the mark while his opponent got caught out a bit and interfered slightly with the switch kick into the corridor. There were calls for 50, which I accept is not necessarily correct, but the in board kick was marked by our player and should have been awarded. Instead, the umpire called the kick back. What the hell was that all about? Okay, don't award the 50, but why does the ball have to come back? There was no interference with the player on the mark and you are allowed to run between the player with the ball and the player on the mark, are you not?

Yep I noticed the same thing on the telecast. The ump even calls out the Sydney player by name and says "xxxxx move out". I've never seen that before where the team with the ball was delayed because an opposition player way interfering with the mark/protected zone!

Parker was excellent all day. There was a point five minutes either way of half time where I was thinking he was better than JY and therefore BOG. Thought Wardlaw actually got on top of him at times but not completely, while Scott really stepped up in the second half so I probably would have had the three of them equal. The coaches probably felt the same way.
Parker kept them in it; we would have won in a canter but for his game

Then the alleged ruck infringement by Goldy in the dying seconds when we were on a run to possibly win the game. F me no one from the AFL wanted North to win that game.

I was initially going to watch the full replay but Kayo mini was enough to surpass the efficacy of my blood pressure meds 🙄

dont remember it. Got a time stamp?
8.45 left on the clock in the last qtr. Nick Larkey takes the mark in front of Blakey who stands the mark. I think it's Bailey Scott who runs in between Larkey and Blakey and Isaac Heeney decides not to follow him, choosing instead to prop right in the protected zone virtually in between Larkey and Blakey. Looking at it again, it should be 50. The umpire is trying to tell Heeney to get out of the protected zone when Larkey kicks the ball to Ziebell but the umpire decides it's more important that he stop the game to ask Heeney for the 3rd or 4th time to move out and he says it's a reset, whatever the * that means. The ball goes back to Larkey and we've just wasted time and given Sydney the chance to zone up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So proud of the club's response from the interchange error.

Took full responsibility. Looked at what went wrong and have come up with a plan to make sure it won't happen again.

We are on the right track and have the right people in charge.

Disgusting to hear the targeting of people who work at the club on social media, who are probably volunteers.
They made a mistake, its not worth doing that. The win wouldn't change much in the scheme of things.
Well said, but of course, you don't even have to go to social media to find that crap. A prominent poster right here was calling for sackings. We all know who it was and you are right, it was disgusting.

Parker was exceptional overhead and was in at least 2 or even 3 of those chains where they went coast to coast for goals. Deffo worthy candidate.

8.45 left on the clock in the last qtr. Nick Larkey takes the mark in front of Blakey who stands the mark. I think it's Bailey Scott who runs in between Larkey and Blakey and Isaac Heeney decides not to follow him, choosing instead to prop right in the protected zone virtually in between Larkey and Blakey. Looking at it again, it should be 50. The umpire is trying to tell Heeney to get out of the protected zone when Larkey kicks the ball to Ziebell but the umpire decides it's more important that he stop the game to ask Heeney for the 3rd or 4th time to move out and he says it's a reset, whatever the * that means. The ball goes back to Larkey and we've just wasted time and given Sydney the chance to zone up.
Have no fricken idea. Heeney is entitled to be there but I once he chose not to follow Scott then my take is yep should have been a 50. ******* umps.

Have no fricken idea. Heeney is entitled to be there but I once he chose not to follow Scott then my take is yep should have been a 50. ******* umps.
As I said previously, I understood why the umpire decided against paying the 50 due to Scott running through the mark but once Heeney decided not to go with him, then he is interfering by propping. The real crime though was penalising the team with the ball for an infraction by the other team. The only time I've seen this sort of "re-set" is when the player on the mark is interfered with unfairly. That wasn't the case here. It just seemed to be a bone-head error by the umpire.

Nice work by the club's media department. Gently reminding the Swans that despite Saturday's result, they're still our GF bitches.

Fairley's goal was one of my favourite moments from one of my favourite days ever. I always thought he was a little underappreciated when he was moved to CHB, but he turned into a very reliable defender and always gave 110% for the club, and I was so happy to see him end his career (although I didn't know it at the time) with a final goal and a premiership medal. 110% Shinboner.

Fairley's goal was one of my favourite moments from one of my favourite days ever. I always thought he was a little underappreciated when he was moved to CHB, but he turned into a very reliable defender and always gave 110% for the club, and I was so happy to see him end his career (although I didn't know it at the time) with a final goal and a premiership medal. 110% Shinboner.
It was known at the time that it was Flossey's last game, hence the team's extra exuberance when celebrating his goal.

Yep. My favourite moment from my favourite day ever at the footy.

Can't wait to see Ziebs float forward to kick a premiership sealing goal in his 350th and last game of footy.

After this I think we are doomed. Doomed to never win another game. Its a conspiracy and you all know it.

I told ya's. Nothings changed. Doomed we are. The spoon awaits after the western boys beat the freos. Lock it in. And Ried will be no good either. Mark my words.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back