Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like Will is held to a different standard here than other players.
Yep, I'm happy to allow Will game time to get him up to speed, rather than snoozers like JS being gifted games.

Will looked good today and as you say, LDU got more breakaways.

Simply has to keep playing imo
Agree, he has excellent lateral vision and can find a target by hand and foot. At the moment Sheezel is the only other player in the team on par with him in that regard. Just play him every game the rest of the season and see if he can become the player we hoped when drafted. If not, well there's not exactly a lot of downside from where we sit.

Agree, he has excellent lateral vision and can find a target by hand and foot. At the moment Sheezel is the only other player in the team on par with him in that regard. Just play him every game the rest of the season and see if he can become the player we hoped when drafted. If not, well there's not exactly a lot of downside from where we sit.

Yeah, he seems to be a confidence player too

Poor bloke has completed something like 2 of the past 6 pre-seasons. But then again, its pretty easy to judge from behind a keyboard...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor bloke has completed something like 2 of the past 6 pre-seasons. But then again, its pretty easy to judge from behind a keyboard...
Might want to check your Maths there KB. Was part of the 2020 draft, so not sure how you arrive at 6 pre-seasons in 2024. If he is good enough and shows consistent improvement in the next 16 weeks, he will should earn another 1-2 year contract. There are like 17 contracts up for renewal at the end of this year, a good thing for internal competition in the playing group to fight for those spots.

Might want to check your Maths there KB. Was part of the 2020 draft, so not sure how you arrive at 6 pre-seasons in 2024. If he is good enough and shows consistent improvement in the next 16 weeks, he will should earn another 1-2 year contract. There are like 17 contracts up for renewal at the end of this year, a good thing for internal competition in the playing group to fight for those spots.
He didnt do a preseason in his last u/18 year, at the very least.

Short mids no good - says who

Merrett, Neale , gulden, butters Seem to go ok
But are they surrounded by more shorts like Lazzarro, Wardlaw, Jy and now McKercher……..
Successful teams don’t have a midfield brigade full of 6ft or less players.
We need to establish who the best 2 of that group are, and then move the remainder on. Will Phil may actually be in the best 2 of that group. Albeit unlikely. But we need to find out I suppose.

Short mids no good - says who

Merrett, Neale , gulden, butters Seem to go ok
Thinking about that comparison, you’re right. But one thing I’ve always thought our smaller mids don’t have the dynamic burst a lot of the other teams have.

They just seem ****ing slow. Especially Jy. Willphill seems like he doesn’t have the burst his ‘Rowell’ comparison has but he does offer better ball use compared to jy. Powell, good, but not dynamic.

My thoughts are Wardlaw and McKercher could help shift that. But for whatever reason, when playing as a mid, Lazzaro looks like our most explosive ****ing midfielder

But are they surrounded by more shorts like Lazzarro, Wardlaw, Jy and now McKercher……..
Successful teams don’t have a midfield brigade full of 6ft or less players.
We need to establish who the best 2 of that group are, and then move the remainder on. Will Phil may actually be in the best 2 of that group. Albeit unlikely. But we need to find out I suppose.
This. Neale, Gulden, Butters all have several 185cm+ bulls in there with them.

Are there any players who aren’t?

Nah some players seem to be able to turn up and deliver every week regardless. Harry Sheezel for example.

Both ways
I think this is fair.

I think for me it’s the fact that he is a ripper kid, has leadership potential, is tough and (at least at junior level) hunted the ball and man a bit like Wardlaw.

I was thrilled in 2020 by the surprise of North picking him.

I want him to do well, perhaps even a little more than other players.

In saying that, he definitely has a lot of work to do in order for him to look like the animal he did at junior level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back