AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

What relevancy does this have? Players learn not to really follow a team closely in their last 2 years before getting drafted.
Did I say he only wanted to play for Collingwood? I was just wondering why he was desperate to come to Essendon.
Seemed odd that's all.

Im not sold. But we had to pick him.

I have no problems with him filling out.

Ill continually question his endurance and penetration as a midfielder. Hes a really stylish footballer.

I think the biggest concern will be whether hes an inside mid or outside mid. Maybe not tall enough as an inside mid, not good enough running ability and penetration as an outside mid.

Similar to Kav, Melksham (Toumpas/Scully have had the same problem) and where they had problems. At least Parish should get opportunity with Hocking, Watson, Stanton & Goddard all getting close to the finish in 2 yrs time.

I think he starts his career off halfback.

Welcome Gilly. He said in the interview that he is most excited to meet Heppell because he is a laid back country lad like himself. Hopefully Hep can take him under his wing and pass on his professionalism and work ethic. Will be good for his development that's for sure.

Thought the same thing. Hep would be the perfect role model for a young kid who needs to learn the ropes. Likewise with goddard w/ francis.

I'm really excited to get Parish. He was the one i wanted a long way out. Watching his highlights you can just see what a smart footballer he is. I was quite let down during that period that we thought that Melbourne was going to take him.

The other thing i like is we either took guys with height or we took guys with pace. Whilst Parish is not lightning he's still on the quick side and when you're as good at finding the ball and using it as him - well i think there is a lot to look forward to.

image.jpg He's basically the same height as Cousins who was 179-180cm.

He's not small. He's just not that 6'2 mid we all like.

I'm betting Parish will build himself up over the next two to three years just like Cousins did in his early career. Building leg strength to reach those epic endurance runs that league midfielders have to perform week after week.

When you've got a razor sharp footy mind you don't have to be tall to win the footy.
Parish vs bigger and taller opponents in his vast hightlights reel shows this fact.

Cousins didn't take a whole lot of contested marks either but when he went for one he went hard at it.

But his greatest strength was his ability to break tackles, gather the loose ball, run all day and still deliver the ball by hand and foot brilliantly even when he was buggered.

I reckon Parish will have what it takes to reach that level in two or three seasons of league footy.

He is absolute gold Jerry...gold!!!

View attachment 195608 He's basically the same height as Cousins who was 179-180cm.

He's not small. He's just not that 6'2 mid we all like.

I'm betting Parish will build himself up over the next two to three years just like Cousins did in his early career. Building leg strength to reach those epic endurance runs that league midfielders have to perform week after week.

When you've got a razor sharp footy mind you don't have to be tall to win the footy.
Parish vs bigger and taller opponents in his vast hightlights reel shows this fact.

Cousins didn't take a whole lot of contested marks either but when he went for one he went hard at it.

But his greatest strength was his ability to break tackles, gather the loose ball, run all day and still deliver the ball by hand and foot brilliantly even when he was buggered.

I reckon Parish will have what it takes to reach that level in two or three seasons of league footy.

He is absolute gold Jerry...gold!!!
If he turns out being half the player Cousins was I would be very happy indeed.

Cousins had endurance and gut running out of this world.

Parish doeant have that tank, hopefully can be developed.

Also cousins was playing quality football a good 10 yrs ago now been a while

If he turns out being half the player Cousins was I would be very happy indeed.

Yes indeed.

I see it as...if he turns out the same kind of match day work rate as other medium height players like Peter Bell, Cuz or lil Gaz in a few years time, then he could be a genuine star in the red and black.

Worsfold did a brilliant job at turning a mid size midfield group in Cousins, Braun and Fletcher into a formidable trio.
They had Juddy of course but let's hope J.W draws on that experience and transfirms our midfield into something special. :)

Very VERY happy with this pick. People question his endurance.. That's the main reason he didn't go top three. The thing is, you can build up a tank over time. If you don't have footy smarts or an elite kick, they are much harder to learn.

IMO Parish may be the best player of this draft. Get excited!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The congregation of players we've chosen really pleases me. I prayed we'd smash this draft, and if we didn't it'd be our cross to bear for a long time.

I'm of the church of thought that you go for pure footballer over athlete so getting this guy converted and into our flock is a bonus.

Now, I'll hop off the altar and look forward to this kid entering into God-mode.

sorry

The congregation of players we've chosen really pleases me. I prayed we'd smash this draft, and if we didn't it'd be our cross to bear for a long time.

I'm of the church of thought that you go for pure footballer over athlete so getting this guy converted and into our flock is a bonus.

Now, I'll hop off the altar and look forward to this kid entering into God-mode.

sorry

Bless you

sorry
Forgiven. Say five Hail Darcys.

He wouldn't necessarily have been my choice at pick 5 but Parish had a brilliant Under 18 career and could quite possibly develop into the best midfielder in the draft.

I think we've spent too much time worrying about his size. For every Kav that doesn't get big enough there is plenty of smaller mids who put on plenty of size.

It's going to take me awhile to get used to someone so ballistic and doesn't kick sideways. The Church of Parish, bow down.

Already would be one of if not our best kick going inside 50 aswell IMO, we severly lacked in this area with long bombs hes great at lowering the eyes and finding targets.

Even the little dinky kicks that look risky, across the body look dangerous, but make their target, I did notice that.

Apparently Parish returned from injury this year on a half back flank to great success. Thats where his career will start but hes also an a class finisher and an a class reader of the ball off hands so could be used as a genuine small forward.

He wouldve been ideal for the sub vest. I hope hes picked ahead of Cooney at every chance who actually hea not too disimilar to with the way he plays.

A mix between Cooney, Murphy and Jack Steven for me.

Doesnt have the Cooney explosion but has his over head marking and 1 on 1 ability. Has Murphys smart kicking and lowering the eyes but can also move away from a stoppage and a similar inside/out mix

30jmq6f.png

Welcome to the club Ellen!

He looks like santa's little helper to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back