AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect what will happen is Merrett will leave and we'll end up extending Parish. But unless he improves on the outside, he's definitely the guy in our midfield rotation I would be most keen to move on so we can either bring in a genuine bull or a quality outside player (trade or draft).

As he is currently, he does some things well but it's a narrow skillset as a midfielder that with our lack of midfield balance is exposed further.
862891.jpg

McMerrish

When I heard Tom Brown and David King throw that up last night I too nearly threw up.
Then I though about what they were saying and we really do have an elite trio of midfielders stringing excellent games together.
McMerishiel?

36 touches @ 80% efficiency, with 17 contested possessions, 11 clearances and 4 tackles.

And what the stats don't show is how clean and surgical he is under pressure and in contested situations.

His season so far would have to be right up there in terms of most improved along with Laverde.
I think what also goes unnoticed is his positioning sometimes when he gets the ball and around the ground, super smart!

There’s a HS article talking about Parish putting his “cards on the table” re staying at Essendon but it’s pay-walled. I don’t need to see the article but is there any legitimacy to it or just opinion?

There’s a HS article talking about Parish putting his “cards on the table” re staying at Essendon but it’s pay-walled. I don’t need to see the article but is there any legitimacy to it or just opinion?
AFL Essendon v West Coast: Bombers make it three as Darcy Parish reveals his future plans

Essendon’s breakout star Darcy Parish has pledged his future to the club in a huge show of faith about the Bombers’ direction under Ben Rutten.

Only moments after the club’s victory over West Coast pushed them into the eight for a day, Parish made clear he wasn’t going anywhere.

Parish had been keen to assess if he was to be handed more midfield time before he signed, with clubs including Geelong circling the Winchelsea junior star.

Parish has averaged 35 disposals, nine clearances and 8.5 score involvements in the past six weeks, handed more responsibility when Dylan Shiel was injured.

He said he was determined to sign with the club given their improvement and his own role.

“For me it was just about playing footy and playing my role for this club,” he told ABC Radio.

“The contract talks will take care of themselves. I haven’t really been talking too much about it and playing my role but I am sure it will all happen. I love this club and love these people here and it will all take care of itself hopefully.”

Zach Merrett’s decision on re-signing as a restricted free agent is surely easier given the club’s cultural and tactical improvements.

Four-time Hawthorn premiership star Jordan Lewis said on Fox Footy he believed Merrett should sign up immediately as a show of leadership in the club’s direction.

“He should sign up now,” he said.

“The decision that he’s got to ask himself is he is 25 years of age, what does he want out of the rest of his career?

“If he leaves this Essendon side and I bet your bottom dollar that when they start to play finals and whatever side he goes to aren’t playing finals, he’ll regret the decision.

“If I’m Zach Merrett, he knows the figures that are on the table, I’d be signing on the dotted line as soon as possible.

“They’re the most watchable side in the competition at the moment, they’ve got great youth, he’s playing fantastic football alongside Darcy Parish, I cannot see a reason why he would leave that footy club.”

Three in a row in Dons’ incredible fightback

Maybe the season really has turned around for Essendon.

The Bombers turned around a 29-point deficit to upset West Coast by 16 points at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.

In doing so, they won their third consecutive game, for the first time under coach Ben Rutten. They go into Sunday inside the top eight.

It took Jake Stringer a while to get into the game, but his two final-term goals were crucial.

But former Eagle, Alec Waterman, cruelly kicked the goal with six minutes to go to put his new side 15 points ahead and cement the 12.14 (86) to 11.5 (71) victory.

Earlier in the season, the Bombers lost three games by less than a goal, to Hawthorn, Sydney and Greater Western Sydney.

However, they found a way against Fremantle in Round 9, the first victory of their current streak. And after they looked gone against West Coast, they piled on seven of the last eight goals of the game for a famous victory.

THIRD QUARTER TURNAROUND

Known as the premiership quarter, the third term has not been a strength for Essendon this season.

Going into this game, they had lost eight of 10 third term, including the past six.

So when they trailed West Coast by 17 points at the main break, the Bombers looked in trouble.

When Josh Kennedy kicked the first goal after the main break, his third, and the margin blew out to 25 points, the threat of floodgates opening was real.

And those floodgates did open, with the Bombers kicking the last four goals of the term.

Darcy Parish and Zach Merrett’s good work in the midfield started to reap rewards.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti started getting busy in attack and when Stringer knocked one through from the boundary line from a set shot, the margin fell back into single figures.

Nik Cox failed to kick his second goal for the term, just before the siren, leaving the margin at three points at the final break.

ONE IN, TWO OUT

The Eagles missed two of their stars in the second half.

While they welcomed back dual All-Australian Elliot Yeo, Tim Kelly and Oscar Allen sat and watched the game unveil from the bench, injured.

Kelly had 11 touches in the opening term and helped the home side open up a narrow two-point lead at the first break.

But a Merrett tackle in the centre square at the opening bounce of the second quarter ended with Kelly in an uncomfortable splits possession.

He limped off the ground minutes later and was subbed out with a knee injury.

Kelly has been crucial for the Eagles in the absence of Yeo and Luke Shuey due to injury, averaging more than 27 possessions per game this season.

Yeo played his first game since Round 11 of last season, missing the Eagles last eight games of 2020, including the one-point loss to Collingwood in the Elimination Final.

Allen landed awkwardly from a marking contest late in the second term and didn’t see any ground time in the second half due to a head injury.

WASTED CHANCES

The Eagles sharpshooting forwards were on song early and ended the first half with an accurate 9.0 om the board.

The Bombers had three more scoring shots in the first two quarters, but trailed by 17 points.

Jake Stringer, returning from injury, had just two handballs in the first quarter. When he finally got his chance in the second, he slaughtered both shots on goal.

Eagle Josh Kennedy didn’t, making him pay after taking a contested mark and kicking his second goal for the term from a tight and difficult angle.

McDonald-Tipungwuti and Kyle Langford made the most of their rare chances in the last two minutes of the term to kick goals and make the margin manageable.

AFL Essendon v West Coast: Bombers make it three as Darcy Parish reveals his future plans

Essendon’s breakout star Darcy Parish has pledged his future to the club in a huge show of faith about the Bombers’ direction under Ben Rutten.

Only moments after the club’s victory over West Coast pushed them into the eight for a day, Parish made clear he wasn’t going anywhere.

Parish had been keen to assess if he was to be handed more midfield time before he signed, with clubs including Geelong circling the Winchelsea junior star.

Parish has averaged 35 disposals, nine clearances and 8.5 score involvements in the past six weeks, handed more responsibility when Dylan Shiel was injured.

He said he was determined to sign with the club given their improvement and his own role.

“For me it was just about playing footy and playing my role for this club,” he told ABC Radio.

“The contract talks will take care of themselves. I haven’t really been talking too much about it and playing my role but I am sure it will all happen. I love this club and love these people here and it will all take care of itself hopefully.”

Zach Merrett’s decision on re-signing as a restricted free agent is surely easier given the club’s cultural and tactical improvements.

Four-time Hawthorn premiership star Jordan Lewis said on Fox Footy he believed Merrett should sign up immediately as a show of leadership in the club’s direction.

“He should sign up now,” he said.

“The decision that he’s got to ask himself is he is 25 years of age, what does he want out of the rest of his career?

“If he leaves this Essendon side and I bet your bottom dollar that when they start to play finals and whatever side he goes to aren’t playing finals, he’ll regret the decision.

“If I’m Zach Merrett, he knows the figures that are on the table, I’d be signing on the dotted line as soon as possible.

“They’re the most watchable side in the competition at the moment, they’ve got great youth, he’s playing fantastic football alongside Darcy Parish, I cannot see a reason why he would leave that footy club.”

Three in a row in Dons’ incredible fightback

Maybe the season really has turned around for Essendon.

The Bombers turned around a 29-point deficit to upset West Coast by 16 points at Optus Stadium on Saturday night.

In doing so, they won their third consecutive game, for the first time under coach Ben Rutten. They go into Sunday inside the top eight.

It took Jake Stringer a while to get into the game, but his two final-term goals were crucial.

But former Eagle, Alec Waterman, cruelly kicked the goal with six minutes to go to put his new side 15 points ahead and cement the 12.14 (86) to 11.5 (71) victory.

Earlier in the season, the Bombers lost three games by less than a goal, to Hawthorn, Sydney and Greater Western Sydney.

However, they found a way against Fremantle in Round 9, the first victory of their current streak. And after they looked gone against West Coast, they piled on seven of the last eight goals of the game for a famous victory.

THIRD QUARTER TURNAROUND

Known as the premiership quarter, the third term has not been a strength for Essendon this season.

Going into this game, they had lost eight of 10 third term, including the past six.

So when they trailed West Coast by 17 points at the main break, the Bombers looked in trouble.

When Josh Kennedy kicked the first goal after the main break, his third, and the margin blew out to 25 points, the threat of floodgates opening was real.

And those floodgates did open, with the Bombers kicking the last four goals of the term.

Darcy Parish and Zach Merrett’s good work in the midfield started to reap rewards.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti started getting busy in attack and when Stringer knocked one through from the boundary line from a set shot, the margin fell back into single figures.

Nik Cox failed to kick his second goal for the term, just before the siren, leaving the margin at three points at the final break.

ONE IN, TWO OUT

The Eagles missed two of their stars in the second half.

While they welcomed back dual All-Australian Elliot Yeo, Tim Kelly and Oscar Allen sat and watched the game unveil from the bench, injured.

Kelly had 11 touches in the opening term and helped the home side open up a narrow two-point lead at the first break.

But a Merrett tackle in the centre square at the opening bounce of the second quarter ended with Kelly in an uncomfortable splits possession.

He limped off the ground minutes later and was subbed out with a knee injury.

Kelly has been crucial for the Eagles in the absence of Yeo and Luke Shuey due to injury, averaging more than 27 possessions per game this season.

Yeo played his first game since Round 11 of last season, missing the Eagles last eight games of 2020, including the one-point loss to Collingwood in the Elimination Final.

Allen landed awkwardly from a marking contest late in the second term and didn’t see any ground time in the second half due to a head injury.

WASTED CHANCES

The Eagles sharpshooting forwards were on song early and ended the first half with an accurate 9.0 om the board.

The Bombers had three more scoring shots in the first two quarters, but trailed by 17 points.

Jake Stringer, returning from injury, had just two handballs in the first quarter. When he finally got his chance in the second, he slaughtered both shots on goal.

Eagle Josh Kennedy didn’t, making him pay after taking a contested mark and kicking his second goal for the term from a tight and difficult angle.

McDonald-Tipungwuti and Kyle Langford made the most of their rare chances in the last two minutes of the term to kick goals and make the margin manageable.
Thanks Bunk!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

opJMX6b.jpg

LJfC7P2.jpg

His stats in the past 2 weeks are identical. Kinda eerie tbh.

Personally I reckon those 11 clearances get him the 3 votes over Zerrett
It'll be close, but Merrett honestly willed us back into the game in the later half of the third quarter and his fourth was huge and I think on that they will give him the 3 votes. Parish's game was great for four quarters though, probably going to get the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back