Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

[PLAYERCARD]Taylor Adams[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

Really impressed with how he's slotting into the midfield. Watching him closely yesterday I don't think we have anyone as good at extracting the ball from the bottom of a pack as this guy. Goes at it like an animal when the ball is there to be won at ground level.

he does look to have fitted in really well, and provides that hard edge and experience
but i was also pleasantly surprised yesterday when he kicked that goal from pretty much 50m, i didn't realise he had such a solid kick
you also get the impression he's absolutely revelling at the club, now he's healthy and able to contribute on the field
it's been great to see what a success of the trade period adams, grundy and jordon have made for us

I think Adams would be happy to rotate through the forward line. I think it was more so that the pies had relegated him to the forward line that he wasn't happy about. So provided we play him predominantly as a mid. I'm sure he'd be fine spending time up forward.
Exactly. I think it's a lot about how the coach/club values what the player brings in all aspects. This came across very clearly when Grundy described his discussions with us that everyone was there and it was wide-ranging and positive. Horse is apparently an excellent people manager. For sure Adams would know that his no1 role is in the clinches but to optimise that we need him to spend time elsewhere. Big difference emotionally. Like we have seen shifting roles with other players and all seem to be very comfortable. Eg JJ with Anderson.

I think Adams would be happy to rotate through the forward line. I think it was more so that the pies had relegated him to the forward line that he wasn't happy about. So provided we play him predominantly as a mid. I'm sure he'd be fine spending time up forward.
I think Adams is happy to play his role, he just recognised when he got moved forward his time at the Pies was running out.

We need him in the guts but I don't think he'd blink twice if we asked him to play 70/30 fwd/mid

The real sweetener for Adams (besides another chance at a premiership) is control of his own destiny. The Pies had similar or better odds of a (2024) premiership when Adams left to come to Sydney, but there was no guarantee he'd have had kept a spot in the team. At least here he knows the role he plays is in his hands. As long as he performs his role well he'll get games. We also value his experience and skills, which he can transfer to our young mids.

Adams will probably still play forward at times (similar to Parker) if and when he can add more value forward. Not because we have a surfeit of midfield talent and need to park him elsewhere. Horse rarely gifts games, other than giving a youngster a taste, but even then it has to be earned through VFL performances. I think most players would prefer to earn their positions on merit

Grundy and Adams both came to us from teams where they were excess to requirements but tied by contract. They were both parked in roles that didn't utilise their best talents with, possibly, not much say in the matter. Lack of agency can be terribly de-motivating.

When a player is given every chance to make a position their own they take ownership and are motivated. They may still fail, but if it isn't working out, that player will often be the first to flag it and they'll be motivated to work with the coach to find other ways to add value.

Whatever other faults Horse has, he seems to be a very good people manager. Good teams are so much more than the sum of all the players.

The real sweetener for Adams (besides another chance at a premiership) is control of his own destiny. The Pies had similar or better odds of a (2024) premiership when Adams left to come to Sydney, but there was no guarantee he'd have had kept a spot in the team. At least here he knows the role he plays is in his hands. As long as he performs his role well he'll get games. We also value his experience and skills, which he can transfer to our young mids.

Adams will probably still play forward at times (similar to Parker) if and when he can add more value forward. Not because we have a surfeit of midfield talent and need to park him elsewhere. Horse rarely gifts games, other than giving a youngster a taste, but even then it has to be earned through VFL performances. I think most players would prefer to earn their positions on merit

Grundy and Adams both came to us from teams where they were excess to requirements but tied by contract. They were both parked in roles that didn't utilise their best talents with, possibly, not much say in the matter. Lack of agency can be terribly de-motivating.

When a player is given every chance to make a position their own they take ownership and are motivated. They may still fail, but if it isn't working out, that player will often be the first to flag it and they'll be motivated to work with the coach to find other ways to add value.

Whatever other faults Horse has, he seems to be a very good people manager. Good teams are so much more than the sum of all the players.
100% M. Duck. Lack of agency the key phrase.

Adams and Grundy just seem incredibly happy and of course they are making great contributions. One of the great ads for our Club.
He and Grundy seem really close mates. I expected they'd be mates as they played together before, but they seem REALLY good mates. Adams was one of the two that chaired off Grundy after his 200th and I've noticed in so many photos they are often together.
If I'm right, that would have helped them both settle even quicker and create terrific synergy.

Taylor on the Unlaced Podcast

Brilliant, revealing interview. His insights into the Swans from the perspective of a player at another club are revealing, but even more so his schock revelations as he entered the four-walls and realised just what kind of club we are. It makes me extra proud of our club.

Adams and Grundy need to get into the ears of other Pies and convince them to entertain a move north.

Adams loves playing in red and white
Grundy loves playing in red and white

Rhys Shaw loved playing in red and white.
Nick Davis loved playing in red and white.

Nick Daicos would love Red & White. I'm sure Caleb Mitchell will give him his number 35.

He and Grundy seem really close mates. I expected they'd be mates as they played together before, but they seem REALLY good mates. Adams was one of the two that chaired off Grundy after his 200th and I've noticed in so many photos they are often together.
If I'm right, that would have helped them both settle even quicker and create terrific synergy.
I like the comment in the podcast about Mike Pyke inviting Grundy and Adams over for dinner. It clearly impressed Adams that he's not just playing for a football team. He's helping to write the next chapter in the long history of the Swans footy club and the Bloods culture. The latest recruits have picked up the rope alongside this current team, the latest generation in the ancestral line of the Swans family, that dates way back to colonial days.

Nick Daicos would love Red & White. I'm sure Caleb Mitchell will give him his number 35.
If we got Nick Daicos, we would get a lot worse than a trade ban for following rules I assure you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know many will disagree with me on this but Adams isn't performing at the level I had hoped he would. When Mills and Parker come back in Adams with be 4th in line, I don't see him in our 22
Still think he’s working his way back into it. Last week better than the first week. If that improvement continues - he’ll make it.

Taylor on the Unlaced Podcast

For anyone who hasn’t watched this. Watch it.

It’s a bit emotional and tbh some of it is a bad look for Collingwood but it’s great to see how raw Adams is when speaking about it and it’s a seriously good insight in to what players go through when making these big decisions.

They’re not chess pieces and it’s easy to forget that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great interview. I really enjoyed his honesty, not every player would be that honest but you could tell he was relaxed & felt he was in safe place to talk about what he went through and felt he needed to so.

We need more interviews like this. Tellingly not main stream media. Some of the past players doing their own podcasting are turning out some terrific content.

I know many will disagree with me on this but Adams isn't performing at the level I had hoped he would. When Mills and Parker come back in Adams with be 4th in line, I don't see him in our 22
I was on the fence for awhile, uncertain how much value Adams would add, but I'm coming to see what he brings to the team.

It's hard to judge Adams' contribution when he does so much of his work inside the scramble. It's neither showy nor particularly visible, except when he squirts out a handball or lays a tackle to stop an opposition mid from doing so. His play outside the scramble suggest he's quickly getting the feel for the way we play.

I didn't hold any initial expections for Adams - I was left emotionally scarred after Daffy sullied the Duck family name - but Adams seems to be a net positive for us. I expect he'll improve with match fitness and greater familiarity with his teammates.

Horse and the match committee have a challenge to find the right balance between ball winning and ball movement. I don't see Parker or Adams as locks. Sheldrick will also be knocking on the door even before Mills returns. Versatility is an asset. A midfielder who can play forward brings a point of difference.

Whichever way Horse decides, spots in the 22 will need to be earned each week, but that's no bad thing.

What a great interview. I really enjoyed his honesty, not every player would be that honest but you could tell he was relaxed & felt he was in safe place to talk about what he went through and felt he needed to so.
Being an AFL player is a well paid, but somewhat fragile existence.

Player gets moved from on-ball to HFF, where's he less suited, contract coming to an end, how much is he worth, in all senses?

One thing I got from the Adams interview is how much the staff care about you and what they say is so important.

Adams mentioned how grateful he was that Graham Wright said 'we're not trading you' and how disappointed he was that Craig McRae didn't pick up the phone when Adams told Collingwood he was thinking of leaving. Similarly nothing from McRae when Adams did choose to lose.

Compare that to Longmire when Adams told him he wasn't sure that he wanted to leave Victoria.
Fully understood by Horse, no pressure and then when Adams did move he referred to Longmire as many has done before him as a people person who builds relationships.

At the end of the day a club is its people. Build relationships, built a good work environment and a bit of success along the way makes a happy player and a happy club. As Adams says from Pridham down everyone is in it together and committed.

I have no doubt that player managers/agents would see the Swans (cost of living apart) as an excellent destination for their clients.
Which speaks volumes for the club and its people. :thumbsu:

Being an AFL player is a well paid, but somewhat fragile existence.

Player gets moved from on-ball to HFF, where's he less suited, contract coming to an end, how much is he worth, in all senses?

One thing I got from the Adams interview is how much the staff care about you and what they say is so important.

Adams mentioned how grateful he was that Graham Wright said 'we're not trading you' and how disappointed he was that Craig McRae didn't pick up the phone when Adams told Collingwood he was thinking of leaving. Similarly nothing from McRae when Adams did choose to lose.

Compare that to Longmire when Adams told him he wasn't sure that he wanted to leave Victoria.
Fully understood by Horse, no pressure and then when Adams did move he referred to Longmire as many has done before him as a people person who builds relationships.

At the end of the day a club is its people. Build relationships, built a good work environment and a bit of success along the way makes a happy player and a happy club. As Adams says from Pridham down everyone is in it together and committed.

I have no doubt that player managers/agents would see the Swans (cost of living apart) as an excellent destination for their clients.
Which speaks volumes for the club and its people. :thumbsu:
McRae not calling, even if only to wish him luck, is ordinary. Runs against the picture he paints.

McRae tries to style himself as a new age coach, firm but fair, caring, pastoral. He seems like a nice guy, but he's no Ted Lasso. It's tough in the culture of a club that has Fast Eddie as it's El Surpremo. Poor culture oozes downwards too. I feel Fly is learning as he goes. There's nothing wrong with that, I admire it, but it's not instinctive and it shows sometimes

For Horse, being a caring coach seems instinctive. I guess it takes less effort to be a good person at the Swans. People adopt and reinforce the values that are imbedded in an organisational culture, from the Chairman and CEO downwards to the guy who cleans the change-rooms. Organisations that treat people with respect, no matter their position, are invariably successful. People who feel valued return that value to the organisation.

Adams quickly recognised the culture was different, in a good way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back