Traded #30: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - 🚨 traded to the Pear, thanks for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside midfielder - There are two types - A first dib's mid and a second dib's mid - First dib's mid gets the first touch/possession from a stoppage, while the second dib's midfielder often gets the clearance and the plaudits - What we need is a first dib's midfielder which is exactly the role Watson played - From the current list, Heppell definitely has these characteristics, while Langford displayed these traits in the VFL which are yet to translate to the AFL - Clarke's profile suggests he could fill this role, but he needs to play this role in the VFL - I need to see more of McGrath in the future to see if he can fill this role.

This is what let Elliott Kavanagh never make it. He was seen to be playing as a first/second possession midfielder, even at VFL level when in reality he was a third/fourth possession midfielder.

One that got away imho

The saddest thing was I thought Hawk's were a good chance to go for Worpel considering their list needs - I may be contrary here but I like Cassidy Parish's attributes better than Worpel - Worpel will be a first dib's mid at AFL level, though I see him lacking creativity in this role - Need to see more of Guelfi to determine if he is a first dib's mid at AFL level.

What makes you think C.Parish could be better use than Worpel? Everything you read makes me think it is the other way around.

The saddest thing was I thought Hawk's were a good chance to go for Worpel considering their list needs - I may be contrary here but I like Cassidy Parish's attributes better than Worpel - Worpel will be a first dib's mid at AFL level, though I see him lacking creativity in this role - Need to see more of Guelfi to determine if he is a first dib's mid at AFL level.
Well, I suppose Worpel doesn't even matter anymore. From what I've read of Parish he'd have to be a chance to be an extractor for us. It would be interesting to know how much better he is when he's digging the ball out for his brother, in terms of how good the chemistry there is.

What makes you think C.Parish could be better use than Worpel? Everything you read makes me think it is the other way around.

Watching both play 2 games live in the under 18's - Parish is much more creative and has better vision at the coal-face - More likely to get his hands on the ball and distribute it effectively - Worpel's kicking is a touch better and he can spread and defend better from a stoppage - Parish's kicking is undoubtedly an issue, but for me it's his spreading from a stoppage which is a bigger issue - Overall, Parish is better than Worpel inside the contest, while Worpel is better outside the contest.

Well, I suppose Worpel doesn't even matter anymore. From what I've read of Parish he'd have to be a chance to be an extractor for us. It would be interesting to know how much better he is when he's digging the ball out for his brother, in terms of how good the chemistry there is.

This is definitely the role Parish would play at AFL level - Has been compared to M.Crouch - One area of his game that M.Crouch has developed is his running and work outside the contest - That's the challenge for Parish.

This is definitely the role Parish would play at AFL level - Has been compared to M.Crouch - One area of his game that M.Crouch has developed is his running and work outside the contest - That's the challenge for Parish.
That and his tackle numbers, Crouch is a hard tackler, C.Parish was very poor in this regard this year

This is what let Elliott Kavanagh never make it. He was seen to be playing as a first/second possession midfielder, even at VFL level when in reality he was a third/fourth possession midfielder.

One that got away imho

What is a third or fourth possession midfielder?

I think they're generally referred to as forwards.
I thought it was the boundary umpire bringing the ball back to the square. Heppell handballs to Merrett kicks to Daniher and boundary umpire brings it back, sometimes Heppells selfish and kicks himself which gives boundary umpire the third possie in the chain.

Combining what dodo says in his pre-draft interview with "The 195cm Bomber was originally a ruck-forward, but Essendon’s recruiters were the ones who suggested he move into defence early last year, with great success." (HS). I'd surmise that the recruiters had BZT firmly on our radar going into the draft.

Combining what dodo says in his pre-draft interview with "The 195cm Bomber was originally a ruck-forward, but Essendon’s recruiters were the ones who suggested he move into defence early last year, with great success." (HS). I'd surmise that the recruiters had BZT firmly on our radar going into the draft.
Inb4 draft tampering BTGID

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it was all a ploy to get the biggest and best inside mid cheap. Amazing long term strategy.

If that doesn't sound like Essendon, I don't know what else does.

EckersDevs said:
Going to be developed as a tall key FWD according to Merv at draftees induction

:drunk:

Note: That's not a crack at you EckersDevs - the club's position is interesting

Going to be developed as a tall key FWD according to Merv at draftees induction
So we suggested his move to defence which says to me we wanted to help him learn the game more. Will be interesting to see how he goes as a forward, he has that leap and good hands which helps and of course there is no rush for a spot in our senior forward line.

Sooo apparently Merv made a mistake and Dodoro has now come out tonight and said BZT will develop as a KPD...conspiracy drafting theories can be put to rest..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back