Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that he looks better as a defender, however our forward line was a mess until he went forward and freed up Larkey. Ideally we'd have one of him at both ends. And whilst he was looking good in defense we were leaking goals at an alarming rate. We performed significantly better on the scoreboard after he went forward.

You could say the same about Majak but after gaining confidence in defence, he kicked 9 goals in 10 quarters. He will end up forward and do well if he keeps applying himself.

It’s rare that I disagree with you OF, but IMO Chom has never looked like a potential elite CHF, albeit talented and athletic. Even at only two games in, he does look like a potentially elite KPD and I’d much rather address the imbalance in other ways at this point.
As soon as the third started I thought oh f*** I manifested this.

And cos he's actually a talented footballer, and younger and better looking.
..and mates with Joel Crocker.

At some point this year we will have Comben, Dawson and Logue in the back line. That’s starting to look reasonable.
With Will Dawson coming through. Four tall defenders, but only one tall forward. [edit: who is poor overhead]

Last edited:
I'm actually starting to see a fair bit of Steven May about Comben. Really competitive nature, uses his voice on field and a good set of hands. Just needs time to build on his craft as a defender and once he does, I think he will be very capable 1 on 1 whilst intercepting at the same time like he is now.

Last edited:
Goad isn't ready to play 10% of a match in the ruck. He is so far off being an AFL player right now.
Needs to put on at least 10kg first. getting pushed around easily in the VFL. Has great athleticism for a player of his height and seems to have reasonable skills. I would have thought a late 25 debut at the earliest but looks a genuine prospect. Fine to be patient with him.

I'm actually starting to see a fair bit of Steven May about Comben. Relly competitive nature, uses his voice on field and a good set of hands. Just needs time to build on his craft as a defender and once he does, I think he will be very capable 1 on 1 whilst intercepting at the same time like he is now.
Steven May bashes his team mates football functions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to put on at least 10kg first. getting pushed around easily in the VFL. Has great athleticism for a player of his height and seems to have reasonable skills. I would have thought a late 25 debut at the earliest but looks a genuine prospect. Fine to be patient with him.

It hasn't helped Goad that the AFL brought in the rule change to allow the lumbering gorilla rucks to cross over the centre line once the ball is bounced to block the more athletic rucks from getting a running jump. I really don't understand what the point of that change was as it makes the centre bounce ruck contests more of a boring wrestle like everywhere else around the ground and less of a dynamic spectacle.

It hasn't helped Goad that the AFL brought in the rule change to allow the lumbering gorilla rucks to cross over the centre line once the ball is bounced to block the more athletic rucks from getting a running jump. I really don't understand what the point of that change was as it makes the centre bounce ruck contests more of a boring wrestle like everywhere else around the ground and less of a dynamic spectacle.
Spot on. Especially as the centre ball up is still done as a bounce. That being the case the line rule should be in place to make centre bounces distinctive from the around the ground ball ups.

Credit where it’s due, out of position multiple times but manages to halve the contest.

A yard behind multiple times when the ball hits the deck, but his pace gets him back into the contest.

Kudos
He'll be elite if he figures out some of these basics with experience. He's already pretty solid with these errors.

For 5 game CHB and a 14 game overall player, his trajectory is fantastic. Athletic traits off the charts, as mentioned above are probably making his mistakes look better or left costly.

But we’ve found one here, playing a tough role, they would’ve been pushing 70 I50s tonight and he battled really well

Hurt his shoulder in the vfl prior to playing his first game in the ones. I think the prognosis (by some) of it being just a stinger was wishful thinking. Seems like its just hanging on atm. He looks in pain after every second contest.

We really know how to manage our young players.

Hurt his shoulder in the vfl prior to playing his first game in the ones. I think the prognosis (by some) of it being just a stinger was wishful thinking. Seems like its just hanging on atm. He looks in pain after every second contest.

We really know how to manage our young players.
Agreed.

Looks to me like it needs a tidy up but they've decided it doesn't get worse with playing and push through the season until they can't. Be interesting in that case what round they decide the benefits of games in the body this year outweigh delays in pre season next year...

Agreed.

Looks to me like it needs a tidy up but they've decided it doesn't get worse with playing and push through the season until they can't. Be interesting in that case what round they decide the benefits of games in the body this year outweigh delays in pre season next year...
Maybe until Logue returns?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back