Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was a real shining light for us on a dark night in the NT.

Keep him back. Let him get 20 games in a row. It’s a pillar we don’t have to worry about.

One thousand percent. If this season is all about figuring out which names on the team sheet are pencilled in and which ones are written in permanent marker, then Comben's name at CHB is engraved in iron.

Thought he was brilliant last night, he repelled so many of GC's forward entries, but I was a little concerned late when he injured his shoulder or arm. Has anyone heard anything?

Thought he was brilliant last night, he repelled so many of GC's forward entries, but I was a little concerned late when he injured his shoulder or arm. Has anyone heard anything?

The last 3 weeks or so he’s had several moments in each game where he comes up from a pack contest holding his arm or shoulder. Clearly playing with something not quite 100%. Part of me wants him to be rested for a week given that, but the other part of me realises that he and Wardlaw are about the only ones showing captain-like physical leadership, so we’d be in even deeper shite (yes, that’s possible) without that.

Shinboner.

Part of the reason he’s playing back is that CHF is notoriously one of the positions you get hammered the most, and his body needs a bit of protection after all his injuries… but with the ball coming into the backline with such speed and regularity (and the opposition knowing there’s not much aerial presence for us there besides him…. so they can afford to just kick it long to the contest) he’s probably copping it more back there than he would anywhere else at present…!

The last 3 weeks or so he’s had several moments in each game where he comes up from a pack contest holding his arm or shoulder. Clearly playing with something not quite 100%. Part of me wants him to be rested for a week given that, but the other part of me realises that he and Wardlaw are about the only ones showing captain-like physical leadership, so we’d be in even deeper shite (yes, that’s possible) without that.

Shinboner.

Part of the reason he’s playing back is that CHF is notoriously one of the positions you get hammered the most, and his body needs a bit of protection after all his injuries… but with the ball coming into the backline with such speed and regularity (and the opposition knowing there’s not much aerial presence for us there besides him…. so they can afford to just kick it long to the contest) he’s probably copping it more back there than he would anywhere else at present…!
Just hope his shoulder/arm issue isn't getting worse and by midseason we hear that he is out for an extended period requiring more surgery.

Shinboner.

Kallan will be back soon and the bye so he can rest then. But yeah we need to protect him from himself.

A freshen up before Logue returns would be great to try and get some back end of season wins

Last edited:
Kallan will be back soon and the bye so he can rest then. But yeah we need to protect him from himself.

A freshen up before Logue returns would be great to try and get some back end of season wins

Hasn't really hit me until now that we've been playing without Dawson, Logue or Goater. Jesus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep his body right long term and leave him back.

He's ok as a forward but not so natural we're robbing ourselves of Wayne Carey not playing him there.
100%, the way he was missing last year makes me think he needed another two-three years being trained as a total forward. Working through all his goal kicking faults. And hey, could have been the right move.

In the meantime, he could be our Tarrant x Hansen swingman 2.0

And have you seen a trainer go out to him during this period. The answer is no as they ignore him, which everyone does.
I'm pretty sure he came off the ground and had it looked at before returning, but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue and it isn't getting worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back