Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

The coach has confirmed today in an article that Luke is going back to half back and we will have 2 new wings.

I see the back six for round 1 as;

B: Ziebell, McKay, Corr
HB: LMac, Walker, Hall

Bench: Turner
Emerg: Perez, Bonar

By years end I expect or hope Goater, Perez and Bonar are taking opportunities...

The coach has confirmed today in an article that Luke is going back to half back and we will have 2 new wings.

By years end I expect or hope Goater, Perez and Bonar are taking opportunities...
Do you have the link of said article?

Well you had Perez on a HBF.

McDonald will be playing HBF.

Perez will need an extended stint in the vfl before he plays. Given noble has never seen him play.
you know there's video of him right? noble wouldn't normally be attending VFL games in person either. I don't think there's any guarantee McDonald plays HBF considering he spent the whole year playing wing when he wasn't injured, but I already said that he'd play there instead of Perez if that's the direction they take.

you know there's video of him right? noble wouldn't normally be attending VFL games in person either. I don't think there's any guarantee McDonald plays HBF considering he spent the whole year playing wing when he wasn't injured, but I already said that he'd play there instead of Perez if that's the direction they take.

Noble confirmed in an article today that its him plan to send Luke to half back this year. Talked up a big focus on getting our defence right.

Agree with the comments Re Perez.
He's still not getting involved in the match sims yet.
Goater fills a need and the club are clearly impressed with how the draftee is performing.
Even took some kick ins which can only be a good sign.

I think zeebs is the glaring spot up for grabs. I know he’s currently the captain, and finished high in he b&f.

But can totally see goater or Perez be better suited for the team by mid year.

Yeah agree - for Zeebs to retain his place he needs to play taller and be able to quell talls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the current best back six looks something like:
Ziebell McKay Turner
Hall Corr Perez

Perez probably switches out for Walker if we need a third tall or McDonald if he goes back there.
I actually think you're 100% on the money here.

*edit - once Perez is match fit of course

Last edited:
Yeah agree - for Zeebs to retain his place he needs to play taller and be able to quell talls

Yep, my thoughts exactly, we are too slow with Ziebs, Mackay, Corr and Walker down back. One has to give so i have Walker out for Round 1 but there is a stack of pressure on Ziebel to perform as he can't play on the small forwards.

Yeah in straight lines but it’s more about agility that he struggles with

And our lack of talls down back means that's where we will need him most. Turner, Atu and the like can play on the whippy smalls.

I like the back 6 but not Walker. To me he's back up. I'd play Corr CHB and Bonar in the pocket. Turner is now in the forward line as a defender.

Ziebell will play every game IMO. I know we've got lots of new Shiny toys but he's a good footballer with a mature body.He played a new position last year and did a pretty good job
Cant see Noble throwing too many new players in, and certainly not filling the Captains spot with 18-19 year olds.

Their time will come
I tend to agree. You have McKay then Walker / Corr. Walker is a journeyman and Corr is not a KP sized defender. Need some physicality down there.

Playing third tall, zoning off his opponent should be Jack's role.

Turner takes the best small forward. He's servicable in that role. He's got no business in the forward line. McKay takes the best tall, Corr the second best (he's 195cm and near 100kgs. If he can't take a tall forward the God help us), Jack the third best. McDonald can take the dangerous mid sized forwards and Hall offers the rebound.

Goater can play the 7th defender off the bench until Bonar is fit, or maybe after Bonar is fit if he goes OK.

Playing third tall, zoning off his opponent should be Jack's role.

Turner takes the best small forward. He's servicable in that role. He's got no business in the forward line. McKay takes the best tall, Corr the second best (he's 195cm and near 100kgs. If he can't take a tall forward the God help us), Jack the third best. McDonald can take the dangerous mid sized forwards and Hall offers the rebound.

Goater can play the 7th defender off the bench until Bonar is fit, or maybe after Bonar is fit if he goes OK.

Yep agree - ffs McKenzie from port was manning up tomahawk.
It’s more about pressure across the board than certain matchups

Ziebell will play every game IMO. I know we've got lots of new Shiny toys but he's a good footballer with a mature body.He played a new position last year and did a pretty good job
Cant see Noble throwing too many new players in, and certainly not filling the Captains spot with 18-19 year olds.

Their time will come

The team as a whole, has a lot of youth. Down back in isolation needs more. It’s basically a combination of handy players and players coming towards the end. It’s hard to see who gives way though.

Hall had his best year to date.

Ziebell I thought was a little overrated last year, but had a reasonable year nonetheless and is obviously captain.

Walker’s days really should be numbered, but there is no ready replacement for when we need a third tall.

I like the look of Turner down back and his effort can’t be questioned. Is he a premiership small defender though? I’m not sure. I really hope Bonar can stay on the park and be that small defender.

McDonald should be playing half back. With the list of mids and those also developing, McDonald shouldn’t be taking up a wing spot.

I liked Corr early on, but I think he should be playing Walkers role. We need another pillar alongside McKay.

We need to find a way to give opportunities to players like Goater and Perez. How we do it, I’m not sure. For a rebuilding side, I only really see McKay as a proven talent who will play for another 8+ years. We need more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back