AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

What is the preferred nickname for Alwyn Davey Jr?

• Froggy Jr

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Tadpole

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think he will be in the forward line long, with his ability to break through traffic at pace.
Seems to run a lot too.

Just keeps appearing in the frame to put pressure on. Also only a 6 day turnaround for the Saints game which would be hard on a young player getting used to the level of AFL, 8 day turnaround for GWS so if he's not rested from that head clash I think he stays in.

Keeps applying pressure, keeps trying to create something. The more time he spends at AFL level getting comfortable with the pace of the game, the better he'll be.

AMT was a naturally creative player at his best, sometimes it wouldn't come off, but you just have to back those kinds of guys to make something and cop that sometime it won't work out.

And then you watch Collingwood do the same thing and take risks all game . I know what you are saying about the percentage thing to do but you can tell them to play with natural flare but also be conservative. Sometimes you have to take the mistake if it allows you exciting players to do what they do. Reason why the Pies have bounced back quickly. They are no longer a methodical no risk side.
Exactly right.
Need to temper expectations on the results and remember this is a development year. We'll make mistakes, have bad patches/games.
All part of a road back.

We've got a nice balance of control/risk taking with the mindset & game plan at the moment. i'd like to see that persisted with, and when it's time to risk take, encourage that.

Don't think he will be in the forward line long, with his ability to break through traffic at pace.
Seems to run a lot too.
HF/Wing.
I don't think he ever really projected as a small forward. Plays more like Aaron than Alwyn for mine.

We have Jayden for the pocket anyway :D

And then you watch Collingwood do the same thing and take risks all game . I know what you are saying about the percentage thing to do but you can tell them to play with natural flare but also be conservative. Sometimes you have to take the mistake if it allows you exciting players to do what they do. Reason why the Pies have bounced back quickly. They are no longer a methodical no risk side.
I’m sure there’s plenty of times when they kill the ball and reset though. You can take risks, but some situations you just need to make the percentage play.

I’m sure there’s plenty of times when they kill the ball and reset though. You can take risks, but some situations you just need to make the percentage play.
I do not mind . The Pies game is built on you will make mistakes but we do not want you to stop trying to do it.
Several players have said that is how it is as well as the coach.

I do not mind . The Pies game is built on you will make mistakes but we do not want you to stop trying to do it.
Several players have said that is how it is as well as the coach.
I could go back through their game the other night and pick out multiple times when they just killed the contest though..

I could go back through their game the other night and pick out multiple times when they just killed the contest though..

The same players or different ones?

Someone like a Jake Kelly isn't going to be trying to create magical plays whereas a guy like Stringer or Davey will. Experience also means being able to process the situation quicker and know when you're likely to be able to make something happen and when you're not. Davey will learn what he can and can't do against AFL standard players.

The same players or different ones?

Someone like a Jake Kelly isn't going to be trying to create magical plays whereas a guy like Stringer or Davey will. Experience also means being able to process the situation quicker and know when you're likely to be able to make something happen and when you're not. Davey will learn what he can and can't do against AFL standard players.
Can’t think of too many players in the collingwood side that wouldn’t try to make those magical plays they’re all pretty capable, maybe frampton and Cameron but that’s about it.

Still playing on instinct.

Nothing wrong with playing on instinct but in some situations you just have to make the smart play. Would you want a player playing on instinct keeping the ball in against a 2 on1 in the back pocket?
We have gone past my point.
I said a couple of posts ago I do not mind. Learn as he goes along but the nature of his natural flair and instinct will see him make a mistake every now and then. It will happen. Would I want a player doing it ? if it happens every now and then but the net result is it also produces something spectacular more often than not then I am on the McRae bus. Make the mistake and we will work on defending it. I am sure there will be times when he just lets it go out.

You back in elite talent - Alwyn gets a green light from me to take the game on and do things others can’t. He’ll make mistakes on some occasions and he’ll electrify crowds on others.

Guelfi and Snelling do not get the same green light however - such is the way of the world :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YOUNG BOMBER SIGNS FATHER-SON EXTENSION​

ESSENDON father-son prospect Alwyn Davey jnr is locked in at the Bombers until at least 2025, with the clever forward's initial contract at Tullamarine including an extra third season.
The teenager has made a bright start to his Essendon career having already agreed to insert another year in his contract around draft time, a common practice for talented father-son recruits.

Short of one nice snap, was a complete non factor. So many of his tackles were broken and his pressure was basically perceived more than real.

A VFL spe might be due.
only disappointing thing is we are not exactly flushed with wingers

Perhaps Langford needs to move back up to the wing and we need to see what Voss has across HF

Very few AFL attributes at this stage. Quick enough but not lightning, long way off.

Your classic 40+ speculative draft pick.
tough, decent enough skills, good overhead.

Sadly the physical assets required are lacking at the moment. Size to tackle, fitness to keep up with the best.

The guy is all skin and bone, not sure why people are expecting him to lay 10 tackles a match.

Play him as much as possible, without breaking the lad.

Played with more tenacity in the pre-season games than he did today. For someone who should be a crumbing forward - he's never really in the right positions to affect at ground level.

Still has a lot to work on, you can tell he has the skills for AFL level.

Played with more tenacity in the pre-season games than he did today. For someone who should be a crumbing forward - he's never really in the right positions to affect at ground level.

Still has a lot to work on, you can tell he has the skills for AFL level.
Im not sure he's a crumbing forward tbh
Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a winger. Just needs the match conditioning. Was an odd choice over more mature options like hind and hobbs

Back