Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

Played well after his call up against Port. Took the time to look ahead and create some forward opportunities for team-mates. Liked his game.

Round 6 – NMFC vs. PAFC

34: Jamie Macmillan

DSP – 17, KCK – 10, MRK – 3, HBL – 7, TKL – 1, BHS – 1, F/F – 0, F/A – 1, 1ST – 1, CLE – 1, I50 – 5, CP – 4, UCP – 14, 1% - 4

Jamie Macmillan had a pretty comfortable return to the seniors against Port Adelaide on the weekend. Jamie appeared to play on the wing and had a quite uncontested and attack based game which allowed him to get the ball forward on a number of occasions as evidenced by his 5 inside 50’s and 0 rebound 50’s for the game. Playing on the wing Jamie racked up 17 possessions, 14 of which were uncontested, at an efficiency rate of 82% with a total of 2 clangers.

His best quarter for the game was the third, in which the team 14 shots on goal and started to pull away from Port. Jamie picked up 8 touches in that quarter, including the second kick, which came about after chasing a Ziebell clearance from the first bounce out to the wing from which he hit Harvey on the chest in the forward 50 with a beautiful, flat 35 meter pass that gave the defender no chance. This led to our first goal of the second half. That passage highlighted the strength of Jamie’s execution when he has space and time to do so.

Jamie almost scored his first goal of the year in the third quarter after instigating and being involved in a chain of possessions which started outside the forward 50 that should have led to a goal, but Jamie missed his shot from about 25 meters out. That passage indicated to me that Jamie still needs to work on his decision making in close as he appeared to have a better option to pass off to earlier in the chain. This decision making will certainly be fast tracked as he gets more comfortable with the pace of the game at AFL level.

Throughout the game it was noticeable that Jamie regularly offered an option to the ball carrier which is a vital attribute in today’s game and is a reflection of the fitness base he has developed over the last 18 months.

Overall Jamie put in a very neat performance against a sub standard opponent and showed moments of real class and ability. Our next game against Geelong will be a real test of where his development is at with their bigger bodies and more complete game sure to put much more pressure on the ball carrier and their targets.

Rating: 6.5/10

Many thanks to OE for his excellent compilation
[YOUTUBE]Bu_JdmSBvjw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Showed what class he has. Must be given a solid run in the ones - IE - even if he gets beaten this week plays more.
Yep, he looks a really good long term prospect and will only get better playing at AFL level. I've got a feeling we'll be seeing this guy pass the 200 game mark for this club.

AFL Round 6:

NMFC vs. Geelong

Kicks: 13
Handballs: 3
Disposals: 16
Marks: 8
Eff% 75
Contested Possessions: 2
Uncontested Possessions: 14
Clangers: 3
Inside 50's: 6
Rebound 50's: 2
Tackles: 1
Frees for: 1
Frees against: 1

Another decent game from Macmillan, again playing mostly off a wing, saw him rack up 16 touches at a 75% efficiency rate. Again he offered run for the team and presented well for team mates. 6 inside 50's and 2 rebound 50's indicate that he provides good drive and forward momentum for the limited possessions he does get. Macmillan still gets caught out a little at times by the pace of the game and the size of the bodies that he comes up against, but this will improve with experience and exposure to the AFL level. Of the recent youngsters to break into the side in 2011 Macmillan strikes me as being the most football mature in relation to his knowledge of the game and ability to sum up a situation. This may be because he does most of his work outside the packs and as such has time, but he invariably makes the right decisions.

I get the feeling that a big game is not too far away.

Another solid 6.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I encountered an intersting stat today. Jamie Macmillan, after two games in 2011, is ranked in the top ten in the competition for inside 50's per game with 5.5. This indicates to me that he has been brought into the team with a specific role in mind, and that is to be a link between forward and attack and to tidy up the forward 50 entries.

He averages 11.5 kicks a game in 2011 half of which are forward 50 entries. If he can manage to get his hands on the ball 5-7 more times a game then he could really start to have a dramatic impact on games.

Great last 2 posts BTron. I think you are spot on with the roll BS wants him to play.
He'll need to keep developing his endurance, as that roll, especially in todays game, involves a hell of a lot of running. He looks up to the task IMO, just needs to keep developing and maturing. He's a ripper.

Great write ups B-Tron!!

The footage of Macmillan swooping onto the ball on the wing against Port and hitting Boomer in stride inside 50 is a beauty. Could become a very damaging player for us.

Imagine him and Bastinac on either wing?

Let's hope his breakout game is this Saturday!!

AFL Round 8 - North Melbourne vs. Melbourne Tin Men

8 kicks, 5 handballs, 13 disposals, 4 contested, 9 uncontested, 69% eff, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal assist, 1 goal contributed, 3 inside 50's from 80% game time.

A quieter week for Jamie Macmillan, picking up 13 touches in the role he has played so far this year. Perhaps this is down to other players getting the opportunity to shine against a weaker opponent and not needing to look for him on the wing as we could bring a bit of the ball quickly through the middle. Still, what Jamie did do he did well and again looked composed and solid with the ball in hand. I did notice at times that he was following Watts around the ground, so maybe he had a role when Watts was in the midfield.

Jamie ranks 1st in those players eligible for the Rising Star in inside 50's, and 8th for goal assists, which is indicative of the role that Brad wants him to play.

Thanks B tron. Certainly he's tracking well. How would you rate his disposal by foot, in terms of efficiency, clangers, and penetration/danger factor? Its one thing that hasn't stood out a great deal to me(one way or the other).

Thanks B tron. Certainly he's tracking well. How would you rate his disposal by foot, in terms of efficiency, clangers, and penetration/danger factor? Its one thing that hasn't stood out a great deal to me(one way or the other).

His kicking isn't exactly a weapon, like Gavin Urquharts can be a weapon, but he is a very good kick of the footy imo. He is not an excessively long kick but what can be said with certainty is that he has got excellent control with his kicking. Macmillan seems very capable of hitting targets with low, flat, spearing kicks and with well weighted kicks that allow his teammates to run onto the ball. He is not the type to blaze away and as he gets mor experience and confidence I expect that he will back his skills more which will make his control over that skill more evident. Can kick with both feet too, which is a bonus.

Have noticed that he always seems to go for the safe option when given time to make a decision, often choosing to go backwards or kick sideways. I think he needs to get this out of his game as his delivery into the forward is quite strong.

AFL Round 9 - NMFC vs. Brisbane Lions

6 kicks, 4 handballs, 10 disposals, 7 contested, 3 uncontested, 60% eff, 1 marks, 1 tackle, 2 clearences, 2 rebound 50's, 1 inside 50 from 80% game time.

AFL Round 10 - NMFC vs. Sydney Swans
7 kicks, 6 handballs, 13 disposals, 5 contested, 8 uncontested, 92% eff, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearence, 1 rebound 50, 5 inside 50's and 1 goal from 77% game time.

AFL Round 10 - NMFC vs. Sydney Swans
7 kicks, 6 handballs, 13 disposals, 5 contested, 8 uncontested, 92% eff, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 clearence, 1 rebound 50, 5 inside 50's and 1 goal from 77% game time.

The stats don't really say it, but I thought this was JMac's most promising game for the club. Played the outside/winger role and used the ball really well. His goal was a ripper too.

Do you think he'll play defence this week Tron or do you reckon he'll stay on the wing?

The stats don't really say it, but I thought this was JMac's most promising game for the club. Played the outside/winger role and used the ball really well. His goal was a ripper too.

Do you think he'll play defence this week Tron or do you reckon he'll stay on the wing?
It seems a logical choice to bring him into the back half, but a significant percentage of his kicks this year have been inside 50's (40-50%), so it's fair to say that he has been performing his wing role effectively. The question for Scott is whether he should bring in a direct replacement for Firitto, say Richardson for example, or a replacement for Macmillan, if he is to put him in defence, who may not perform the role as effectively. I wouldn't be averse to either role for Macmillan, provided the wing position is being played by a good ball user.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back