Player Watch #35: Harry "Coleman" Petty – the answer to our KPF woes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Still feel like I'm watching Oscar McDonald in a different body. Hmm.

Couple of clumsy frees tonight but was arguably our best tall defender, has been fine 3 of the last 4
I thought he was ok, he isn’t perfect, seems to play a may/lever light role? Where as Tomlinson was just a super stopper letting May and Lever roam a bit more. Holds his own so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tend to agree as harsh is at may seem. He has really good hands in the air so there's some scope for him but panics with the ball & just isn't strong enough 1v1 to play the role Tomlinson was. Hasn't been targeted heavily, yet.

We got no other options so its not like anything will change, I'm not calling for him to be dropped, but I'm sure not wetting my knickers like some are right now. He still worries me greatly.

We got no other options so its not like anything will change, I'm not calling for him to be dropped, but I'm sure not wetting my knickers like some are right now. He still worries me greatly.
I'd be worried if we come up against two tall forwards who are genuinely great 1v1, but not sure any club has two. Maybe WCE and Richmond, but Kennedy and Riewoldt are pretty old and inconsistent now.

Mate no one is getting their knickers wet at all..

He's a 21 year old who's just played his 16th AFL
after missing all of last year through injury. And with each game he's showing good small signs of improvement, especially with his intercept mark which we are starting to see. He'll have moments this year where he'll be up and down, but that comes with every young developing tall in the game.

He just needs a good run at footy this year and he'll gain more experience and growth with each game.

after missing all of last year through injury. And with each game he's showing good small signs of improvement, especially with his intercept mark which we are starting to see. He'll have moments this year where he'll be up and down, but that comes with every young developing tall in the game.

He just needs a good run at footy this year and he'll gain more experience and growth with each game.

I hope you're right, but panic players tend to remain, Jimmy Toumpas and OMac were similar early and nothing changed.

Speak for yourself.

I hope you're right, but panic players tend to remain, Jimmy Toumpas and OMac were similar early and nothing changed.
Honestly had a lot more concerns with Omac after his 2016 year. His lack of game awareness and concrete feet were weaknesses that I thought coaching staff at the time really had to rectify. I seriously had no idea what he added to the side.

Petty has shown that he certainly can hold his own, but still gets pushed off the ball a bit too easily. With more added strength and experience that'll slowly faze out after the 50 game mark.

Why do you see him as a panic player? He looks to me like he takes the game on. Maybe too much, judging by how often he was playing up the field today and running across goal with ball in hand.

Why do you see him as a panic player? He looks to me like he takes the game on. Maybe too much, judging by how often he was playing up the field today and running across goal with ball in hand.

Gives away frees when he doesn't need to. Either when he has help or his man is in no position to influence the play.

Gives away frees when he doesn't need to. Either when he has help or his man is in no position to influence the play.
That will come with experience. If he was going into his shell like Oscar used to I would be concerned, but he's grown into every game he's played this year. I also remember being impressed by his attack on the ball up forward in 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back