Strategy The 'F' Word: Our forward line heading into finals

Which six players are your preferred forward mix for the remainder of the year (when fit)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So how many goals did Melksham, Grundy and van Rooyen (our key forwards) kick on the weekend?

Or did they just make space?

Did Jake Lever ever play forward as a junior? Asking for a friend :$

All jokes aside we need to figure out what we're doing with Lever. Hasn't looked even close to an AA player since 21'

He's almost never in our best few players anymore and I'd bet my house on it being because we keep making him play as a second key tall.

All jokes aside we need to figure out what we're doing with Lever. Hasn't looked even close to an AA player since 21'

He's almost never in our best few players anymore and I'd bet my house on it being because we keep making him play as a second key tall.
Agreed – needs Tommo or Petty next to him, or he's pretty ineffective.

Yeah he's not a second key tall at all he's an interceptor and in classic goody style we've made him into something he ain't. Same as what we did with Grundy/Gawn

Yeah he's not a second key tall at all he's an interceptor and in classic goody style we've made him into something he ain't. Same as what we did with Grundy/Gawn
just as he left Kozzie to rot on the vine for most of the year by not giving him a run in the middle, he's doing the same with Lever now. It's just insanely bad coaching that borders on negligence.

just as he left Kozzie to rot on the vine for most of the year by not giving him a run in the middle, he's doing the same with Lever now. It's just insanely bad coaching that borders on negligence.
Makes no sense. Spend a significant draft haul on him and then just give up trying to get the best out of him. We are way better when he's dominating not pretending to be a key back

Normally I agree, and I prefer the two talls +Lever setup, but thought Lever was easily one of our best on Saturday.

Strange time to bring it up.

Normally I agree, and I prefer the two talls +Lever setup, but thought Lever was easily one of our best on Saturday.

Strange time to bring it up.
That's on me – was just musing about left-field KPF options as all the other ones are heavily flawed for various reasons.

Makes no sense. Spend a significant draft haul on him and then just give up trying to get the best out of him. We are way better when he's dominating not pretending to be a key back
when he plays 3rd tall/intercepting role he's one of our most important players. When he plays 2nd tall he's not AFL standard

That's on me – was just musing about left-field KPF options as all the other ones are heavily flawed for various reasons.

Lever would be about the last on my list for KPF options tbh. We've got plenty of other options to look at before we try that one IMO.

I'd rather any of Smith, TMac, Jeffo, Brown, Gawn (with Grundy rucking), Scache, Petty on one leg... before throwing that much of a desperate hail Mary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lever would be about the last on my list for KPF options tbh. We've got plenty of other options to look at before we try that one IMO.

I'd rather any of TMac, Jeffo, Brown, Gawn (with Grundy rucking), Scache, Petty on one leg... before throwing that much of a desperate hail Mary.
That's fair – probably should have prefaced that by saying that my tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek, but anyway.

Honestly, at this point I just want Smith for the next week or two, then Fritsch when he's fit.

Is it small? Yes. But Smith/Fritsch, Melk, Trac and JVR are all just as likely to compete aerially as the other ones are, and are not completely ineffective when the ball hits the deck.

That's fair – probably should have prefaced that by saying that my tongue was pretty firmly in my cheek, but anyway.

Honestly, at this point I just want Smith for the next week or two, then Fritsch when he's fit.

Is it small? Yes. But Smith/Fritsch, Melk, Trac and JVR are all just as likely to compete aerially as the other ones are, and are not completely ineffective when the ball hits the deck.

With you on that, but knowing Goody I reckon we can expect to see Grundy for one more week.

Reckon there's a lot of moving pieces/line ball decisions coming up with Grundy v TMac, Smith as sub, Milkshake's form when Fritsch is due back etc etc Don't like having so much uncertainty over the structure so close to finals.

If we look at the list of fumbles for each player, Pickett is one of the few that wasn't infected with the fumbles. Lever only had one fumble (by my count), which is pretty good.

when he plays 3rd tall/intercepting role he's one of our most important players. When he plays 2nd tall he's not AFL standard

Jake Lever was also immense in defence, finishing with 16 disposals, 12 intercepts (including 4 marks) and seven rebound 50s while going at 86 per cent efficiency by foot.

Thanks random Fox journo who probably hasnt even watched the game.
Assuming it's some irrelevant stat that has no relevance to the course of the season. It's the only angle old mate has to argue.
How anyone could say Levers been close to his best for the last couple years is beyond me

Lever as a KPF? Got to be better than the rabble on Saturday night that made me contemplate watching synchronized swimming instead.

Dunno, but he was an accomplished pugilist, almost being selected for the 2016 Olympic team.
So, let's play him forward in the grand final, and he can take out our opponents best defender, Alistair Lynch style- but hopefully without the quad injury or missed punches.

Assuming it's some irrelevant stat that has no relevance to the course of the season. It's the only angle old mate has to argue.
How anyone could say Levers been close to his best for the last couple years is beyond me
The most frustrating part is obviously Goodwin has stamped Tomos papers and the only reason he is refusing to play him is stubbornness.

Dunno, but he was an accomplished pugilist, almost being selected for the 2016 Olympic team.
So, let's play him forward in the grand final, and he can take out our opponents best defender, Alistair Lynch style- but hopefully without the quad injury or missed punches.
Jakey lands em if he swings em he's got craft 🥊

Actually, not arguing he's been in great form this year at all - Perhaps if you're going to block me and then try to quote me you should actually read what is written.

Just a suggestion to help make your posts more useful.

Back