Strategy The 'F' Word: Our forward line heading into finals

Which six players are your preferred forward mix for the remainder of the year (when fit)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Josh Schache going to pull a Tom Boyd in your finals run with the Petty injury and Ben Brown looking old?

I admit I went a little whacky for Schache in his first year with us. Then he went a bit loopy (and a bit poopy) at the Dogs. I havent much VFL (outside Lions). How is he tracking?
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Is Josh Schache going to pull a Tom Boyd in your finals run with the Petty injury and Ben Brown looking old?

I admit I went a little whacky for Schache in his first year with us. Then he went a bit loopy (and a bit poopy) at the Dogs. I havent much VFL (outside Lions). How is he tracking?
He's still a s**t version of Jack Watts.

Sucks losing Petty but he’s kicked 8 goals out of 65 over the last 4 games where we have (just about) kicked 100+ each week. Petty was looking great but we’ve also shown we can spread the goal kickers again when playing the turnover game. Oliver back to help keep Petracca forward longer and Fritsch back will help cover.

Sucks losing Petty but he’s kicked 8 goals out of 65 over the last 4 games where we have (just about) kicked 100+ each week. Petty was looking great but we’ve also shown we can spread the goal kickers again when playing the turnover game. Oliver back to help keep Petracca forward longer and Fritsch back will help cover.
I mean good to be optimistic and I don't think he alone kills our flag chances but to go back 3 years is a bit weird.

This year he's clearly looked our best one on one forward, hes been a huge part of our attacking turnaround and we have no one who plays even slightly like him.
Fritsch is awesome but he's not bullying Noah Balta in one on one contests

I mean good to be optimistic and I don't think he alone kills our flag chances but to go back 3 years is a bit weird.

This year he's clearly looked our best one on one forward, hes been a huge part of our attacking turnaround and we have no one who plays even slightly like him.
Fritsch is awesome but he's not bullying Noah Balta in one on one contests
I think he meant we've kicked 65 goals in the last month, 8 from Petty.

I think he meant we've kicked 65 goals in the last month, 8 from Petty.
Sure maybe he did. By that logic we don't need Oliver or Fritsch in the side then at all cause they've contributed 0

Pettys kicked 9 in 2 weeks but he's also actually created space for the others unlike 🫏 because he wins 1-1s

Sure maybe he did. By that logic we don't need Oliver or Fritsch in the side then at all cause they've contributed 0

Pettys kicked 9 in 2 weeks but he's also actually created space for the others unlike 🫏 because he wins 1-1s

Hey, how dare you mention space creation without mentioning Big Bad Bustling Benny Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was definitely my glass half full view and I didn’t mean we don’t need the role Petty played in the team but more we don’t need that role to kick bags, because yes the role needs to bring more than that.

I would rank the requirements of the role in order to be:
1. Compete aerially inside 50 with leads in to space, halve aerial contests and take marks. Don’t be easily moved off the ball and out marked and don’t allow JVR/Fritsch to be double teamed.
2. Compete at ground level inside 50. Chase, tackle and create in open play. Don’t let the ball waltz out.
3. Be a marking target up the line for D50 exit and slow transition play up the wing.
4. Finish your work on the score board with straight kicking.

Petty ticks off all 4 of those, where as the other options have weaknesses in 1 or more of those areas, but I’d give Joel Smith the job again based on requirements 1 and 2. With Fritsch back and Petracca more time up there, if we spread our targets around and aren’t predictable it can still work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I weirdly think he will be better than Brown if he has the space we are playing with. He can win a 1-1 still
My biggest issue with T-Mac was how ******* selfish he played last time he was in the side. Always took his man to JVR's space, did nothing to block or protect him. He's never again for me unless he gets a huge pre-season in.

I weirdly think he will be better than Brown if he has the space we are playing with. He can win a 1-1 still

I dont , I think JVR doesnt get enough opportunities when we have him sitting there eating up space plonked inside our F50, which in turn makes us far worse. Hes like a dead weight to everyone around him.

Last edited:
I dont , I think JVR plays far worse when have him sitting their eating up space plonked inside our F50, which in turn makes us far worse. Hes like a dead weight to everyone around him.
Everyone played worse when the team was clogged up going forward. If Pettys dead it goes Smith first for me, then I'd rather Tmac than Grundy for a look with the extra space

Only scenario where Tmac, Brown or Schache get picked is if one of JVR, Trac, Melksham or Smith get injured, or Fritsch doesn’t come back. I’d rather roll the dice on Grundy than pick one of those three as well. Even playing Harmes forward would be a better option.

Everyone played worse when the team was clogged up going forward. If Pettys dead it goes Smith first for me, then I'd rather Tmac than Grundy for a look with the extra space
I feel like Goodwin is going to close up all this extra space for finals. I can't see him going into a final with this gameplan which I'm okay with, as long as we are prepared to open it up should we need to.

Smith and Schache clearly ahead of the others for me. Just cause they can get out of a trot.

Id rather Brown than Grundy or TMac I reckon, only cause when Brown gets the ball at least you know hes going to do something good with it.

Smith and Schache clearly ahead of the others for me. Just cause they can get out of a trot.

Id rather Brown than Grundy or TMac I reckon, only cause when Brown gets the ball at least you know hes going to do something good with it.
Yeah look I'm not arguing this passionately I've got Tmac slightly ahead in the special Olympics race for the second tall forward spot

Yeah look I'm not arguing this passionately I've got Tmac slightly ahead in the special Olympics race for the second tall forward spot

You really do lack some Papley passion

Back