AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean it’s probably worth noting we’d worked with Massimo on the defending issues for 1.5 years and it didn’t get any better. Probably hence the 1 year deal.

Yeah maybe 1 or 2 picks higher than 54.

Obviously not rated higher than Luamon at 39.

Wouldn't have been expensive to trade straight back up to 40 if we though we was that good.

Not necessarily.

You can guarantee that Luamon isn't going to be there again because the Dogs get him from pick 40/41.

It is possible that they could have worked out that no one with a pick left would be prepared or able to pick Roberts and they may already have had a deal for pick 54 up their sleeve.

It's definitely a risk to leave a player on the board you rate more than the player you're about to select. But I understand that it is done and that it is usually a calculated risk that works. You can look at oppo team balance and even get Intel from players and agents about who is expressing the most interest.

This is apparently why we took Langford and Laverde in the order we did. Apparently we knew Carlton would take Langford but we're confident Carlton wouldn't take Laverde (and where Sydney was already committed to Heeney at 18).

Roberts has an impressive pedigree and set of attributes. Not to mention half back run was an area of real need for the list (even having just recruited Luamon).

I can definitely see why they took the pick when, based on recent form, we'd have kept the spot open for the rookie draft / SSP.

Yes, we do not seem to have developed Massimo defensively as we would have liked but we turned Adam Saad into the best small defender in the game, at a time he was a (damaging) novelty act at half back, and then Redman into one of the best medium defenders / intercepters / rebounders in the league. Not to mention that we rounded Ridley into a genuine key defender. Can probably add Laverde to the list, too.

I see no reason not to be confident that if Roberts has it in him that we can turn him into a competent, and possibly even quality, defender. We've been very good at developing defenders.

Last edited:

Roberts has an impressive pedigree and set of attributes. Not to mention half back run was an area of real need for the list (even having just recruited Luamon).

I can definitely see why they took the pick when, based on recent form, we'd have kept the spot open for the rookie draft / SSP.

Yes, we do not seem to have developed Massimo defensively as we would have liked but we turned Adam Saad into the best small defender in the game, at a time he was a (damaging) novelty act at half back, and then Redman into one of the best medium defenders / intercepters / rebounders in the league. Not to mention that we rounded Ridley into a genuine key defender. Can probably add Laverde to the list, too.

I see no reason no to be confident that if Roberts has it in him that we can turn him into a competent, and possibly even quality, defender. We've been very good at developing defenders.

That's a good point about defenders. We do seem to have a decent record in developing them, which begs the question as to why we have so much trouble getting the forwards to function with any sort of cohesion.

The midfield issues I can understand as that's more of a drafting/imbalance problem... but with the forwards every time the ball goes into the forwardline it's almost like watching someone throw a plastic ball in amongst a bunch of toddlers.

That's a good point about defenders. We do seem to have a decent record in developing them, which begs the question as to why we have so much trouble getting the forwards to function with any sort of cohesion.

The midfield issues I can understand as that's more of a drafting/imbalance problem... but with the forwards every time the ball goes into the forwardline it's almost like watching someone throw a plastic ball in amongst a bunch of toddlers.

It's generally accepted that playing in defence is 'easier' than playing forward, defense means you're reacting whereas forward means you're creating.

If they really rated Roberts at 10 or whatever they should have traded back in after 39
Not necessarily.

You can guarantee that Luamon isn't going to be there again because the Dogs get him from pick 40/41.

It is possible that they could have worked out that no one with a pick left would be prepared or able to pick Roberts and they may already have had a deal for pick 54 up their sleeve.

It's definitely a risk to leave a player on the board you rate more than the player you're about to select. But I understand that it is done and that it is usually a calculated risk that works. You can look at oppo team balance and even get Intel from players and agents about who is expressing the most interest.

This is apparently why we took Langford and Laverde in the order we did. Apparently we knew Carlton would take Langford but we're confident Carlton wouldn't take Laverde (and where Sydney was already committed to Heeney at 18).

It's generally accepted that playing in defence is 'easier' than playing forward, defense means you're reacting whereas forward means you're creating.

Nonetheless, when was the last time we had a consistently functioning forwardline? And that goes for entries into the forwardline as well. There's no point having the forwards doing what you want when the delivery is all over the place. Hopefully more emphasis is being placed on that now because it wasn't working before.

I see no reason not to be confident that if Roberts has it in him that we can turn him into a competent, and possibly even quality, defender. We've been very good at developing defenders.
and zerk too baby

So are you saying there are more good defenders in the AFL than good forwards?

No one ever complains that Jack Sinclair can't defend. Richmond won 2 flags with Jayden Short in the backline. It's an obvious area of improvement for sure, but if his offensive game is good enough then he doesn't have to be the greatest defensive player.

Looks like a bargain pickup. Can see him getting senior games in 2024.

No one ever complains that Jack Sinclair can't defend. It's an obvious area of improvement for sure, but if his offensive game is good enough then he doesn't have to be the greatest defensive player.

Looks like a bargain pickup. Can see him getting senior games in 2024.

If the rest of your defensive structure (not just defence) is sound then it allows for those kinds of players, we've traditionally not had enough defensively sound players to get away with it though. Hopefully this newer generation coming through changes that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably his lack of defence.
Definitely his defensive craft . It is sort of D'Ambrosio territory . Just hope it is not ingrained ball watching although I have not seen enough games to have a definitive opinion :cool:

Last edited:
If the rest of your defensive structure (not just defence) is sound then it allows for those kinds of players, we've traditionally not had enough defensively sound players to get away with it though. Hopefully this newer generation coming through changes that.
I don't want a single downhill skiier in the team.

Richmond won flags with ordinary players playing team football.
We haven't played finals with players with more talent in their left toes.
My old man always told me, up there for thinking down there for dancing.

I've been saying it for years. I've never had an issue with Dodoro and the coaches with how they select and develop defenders. It's almost always balanced with plenty of depth of players in all defensive positions, a good amount of young developing defenders and a decent amount of competition for spots.

We've already replaced Hurley and Hooker with McKay, Reid, Hayes etc before we replaced Watson. That's the real issue.

Honestly the forwardline can be put down to one thing. Injuries.

It sometimes feels like 80% of all our injuries occur in the forwardline. Daniher, Fantasia, Wright, Harry Jones, Laverde when he was playing forward, Stringer, Hurley when he was playing forward, Stewart when he was playing forward, Nic Cox as a potential option, Zach Reid as a potential option, even Gumbleton if we want to go back that far.

It's just a constant revolving door with very little synergy and consistency. It's why we have some years where we're top 4 in points scored, then the next year we're bottom 6. Or we can score at the beginning of the year, then it dries up and vice versa.

Just watched is highlights, sensational vision and delivery.

Wouldn't be surprised if he even got a senior game this year.

Exactly what we need.

Agreed I liked the tactic of taking them both. They have great upside but both need work. Lord looked isolated down back, so more than just having multiple options; I think they will help each others development.

We got Langford Carlton got Blaine ******* Boekhurst
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

I've been saying it for years. I've never had an issue with Dodoro and the coaches with how they select and develop defenders. It's almost always balanced with plenty of depth of players in all defensive positions, a good amount of young developing defenders and a decent amount of competition for spots.

We've already replaced Hurley and Hooker with McKay, Reid, Hayes etc before we replaced Watson. That's the real issue.
Not replacing Watson was a problem, but you're being to generous to Adrian. He ****ed up. He left us with no sustainable coverage for the loss of Hurley and Hooker for two years, not counting Hurley's 5 games in 2022. This is why Laverde and a skinny BZT had to be developed there while playing seniors, and why we've been forced to recruit McKay and were lucky to land him. And even if Reid were not injured, like BZT, it would have forced us to play him skinny and under developed. Same can be said of Cox. Baldwin was recruited as a firward initially. The only real option we had was Stewart, who kept getting injured and also was forced to reinvent himself as a tall back. How many cumulative years of how many careers did Dodoro waste by not dealing with the key talls issue earlier?

Do we know of any particular reason Roberts slid so much?
Needs a bit of work on his defense and it was just one of these drafts where it was so even past pick 20 a few where always going to slide as clubs looked for the hidden gems. Archie is basically a 6cm taller D'Ambrosio at this stage. Just hope the defensive issues are more application / concentration and not ball watching / tracking which is what we could not get out of D'Ambrosio's game.

Do we know of any particular reason Roberts slid so much?
Lloyd coached him at Hailebury and said the other day after we drafted him “he attacks the ball like Joel Selwood.” So it’s not hardness.

Maybe he doesn’t defend but I’d be stunned if that’s not fixable. Kids who are attacking weapons are often not even asked to defend at club or school level….maybe he brought some bad habits from those levels to his u18 stuff. Again, it really should be fixable.

Beyond that I’m not sure and I’d love to hear thoughts of others - everything else from his clips looks really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back