3rd Man Up Banned

3rd man up banned good or bad?

• Good

• Bad

• Jack Watts

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless you're the 5'8 Hartung who put his hand up to let Burgoyne know he had the wing covered at the stoppage and the umpire assumed that he was nominating as the ruckman.
Stupid thing to say.

Hartung should have known better than to have put his had up when the umpire was asking who the ruckman was.

I'm sure he won't make that mistake again.

Playing dumb and not understanding the rules is not an excuse.

Stupid thing to say.

Hartung should have known better than to have put his had up when the umpire was asking who the ruckman was.

I'm sure he won't make that mistake again.

Playing dumb and not understanding the rules is not an excuse.
The umpire asks who the nominated ruckman is at every stoppage. Players have only a few seconds to set up around the ball and let their teammates know what positions/players need covering. Not doing so adequately can cost a team a goal and therefore a match. Are we now mandating that players should not be able to non-verbally communicate with their teammates at the stoppages just in case the umpire gets confused? There have been some absurd free kicks given in the pre-season and Round 1 thanks to this new rule.

It's a dumb change that was hastily introduced to combat a problem that didn't exist; 3 of the top 4 "total hitouts in a season" records were set in the last 2 years. Ruckmen were as dominant and as important as ever before this rule was brought in.

I don't understand where all the confusion comes from. Ruckman have already had to nominate for a few years now, there is literally nothing new that they have to do. The only 'controversies' have come when Vickery tried to come from a mile away to contest, and a collingwood player turning his back to the play and blocking a player which is already meant to be illegal anyway

I don't understand where all the confusion comes from. Ruckman have already had to nominate for a few years now, there is literally nothing new that they have to do. The only 'controversies' have come when Vickery tried to come from a mile away to contest, and a collingwood player turning his back to the play and blocking a player which is already meant to be illegal anyway

Collingwood were stupid, but they don't want to admit that, so they're blaming the 'new rule', even though they could have been pinged just as easily under the old rule.

How about a particular signal from the player nominating instead of the arbitrary hand in the air?

4 hand signals, just so the umpire is clear

9c011523278fda463334b8a06bfcb0f2.gif
u.gif
c.gif
c88102135d11e4aa66fb38a57e2a0a64.gif

i find this rule awkward. the afl have lost some immediacy after ball-up contests, and it's ridiculous to use what are more or less verbal contracts between players and umpires to play football. i don't have the answer, but in time this rule will rightfully be tweaked to remove the nomination.

Back