3rd Tall

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Cumberland, he has real flair and creativity in the way he plays but he is not a 3rd tall - he's my height!

Fritta is the best for mine. Ollie Henry is a real chance to be considered in the discussion, he plays like a smaller, less athletic Charlie Curnow. Will Hayward is another option, though again he is only 6'1 - so where do we draw the line? I actually like Gary Rohan as a 3rd tall too, but I'd have to suggest that Ollie Henry is the true 3rd tall down at the Cattery.
He plays like Fritsch. He's a smaller marking target that is also dangerous once the ball hits the ground.

It depends on the way they play, I considered Paul Medhurst a 3rd tall and Jamie Elliot is on the border of being one as well.
I agree with Medhurst but strongly disagree on Elliott and Cumberland. They are hit up forwards, not players that hit contests and take marks from back position like Fritta, Hayward, Henry etc.

I agree with Medhurst but strongly disagree on Elliott and Cumberland. They are hit up forwards, not players that hit contests and take marks from back position like Fritta, Hayward, Henry etc.
Elliot has taken many pack marks. Cumberland I haven’t seen enough of yet to make a firm decision so maybe your right on that one but what I have seen he looks to have a good aerial game.

Elliot has taken many pack marks. Cumberland I haven’t seen enough of yet to make a firm decision so maybe your right on that one but what I have seen he looks to have a good aerial game.
Cameron and Elliott both average about .5 contested marks per game over their career, so by that logic Charlie is a 3rd tall too?

You’re all missing the point, you can be a gun small who flies for the footy but you aren’t a “tall”

186cm minimum for a 3rd tall, Heeney might be an exception

Cameron and Elliott both average about .5 contested marks per game over their career, so by that logic Charlie is a 3rd tall too?

You’re all missing the point, you can be a gun small who flies for the footy but you aren’t a “tall”

186cm minimum for a 3rd tall, Heeney might be an exception
Ok well I’m not so strong on it I will argue that, but you did agree on Medhurst who was 179cm.

What are your thoughts on Liam Ryan does he qualify?

Jake Waterman quietly having a pretty solid year as a third tall.

Averaging 16.8 touches, 6.4 marks and 2 goals a game.

And in a side that lets be honest ain't doing that well.

Ok well I’m not so strong on it I will argue that, but you did agree on Medhurst who was 179cm.

What are your thoughts on Liam Ryan does he qualify?
Medhurst played over a decade ago, very different parameters then. Judd was a big midfielder back in 2010 at 187cm or whatever he is. Fevola was a Coleman wining KPF at 191cm. Big difference in the 00’s.

Liam Ryan is about the hardest player to classify. My instinct is to say no based off my parameters though.

I should add, if plenty of people disagree with me here that I’m going to get off of this hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake Waterman quietly having a pretty solid year as a third tall.

Averaging 16.8 touches, 6.4 marks and 2 goals a game.

And in a side that lets be honest ain't doing that well.
I was so keen on him in the Kelly trade.
Good to see him putting it together has amazing skills.

Medhurst played over a decade ago, very different parameters then. Judd was a big midfielder back in 2010 at 187cm or whatever he is. Fevola was a Coleman wining KPF at 191cm. Big difference in the 00’s.

Liam Ryan is about the hardest player to classify. My instinct is to say no based off my parameters though.

I should add, if plenty of people disagree with me here that I’m going to get off of this hill.
I like your theory it’s good to have classifications and lines but it’s just maybe even harder to make these cm judgements because of players that are 194 and midfielders now. Ryan plays very tall for his size as does Mihochek but others play very small for there size Cripps Bont.

Cumberland and Cameron have the same contested marks per game over their career, so by what measure do you assert that Cumberland is a tall other than “feel”?
Jeremy Cameron is the best kpp in the game and he isn’t high on the contested marks either, his athleticism and football iq enables him to create space and if you kick it up to him he takes it still has amazing marking abilities.

Jeremy Cameron is the best kpp in the game and he isn’t high on the contested marks either, his athleticism and football iq enables him to create space and if you kick it up to him he takes it still has amazing marking abilities.
I would assert that he’s the exception, the rule is generally that tall forwards take plenty of contested marks. Charlie nearly goes at 2 a game, Naughton and McKay both at 2+ Fritsch and Hayward at .7 over their career and Hayward at 1.2 over this season where he has fully assumed the role as a 3rd tall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back