3rd Tall

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy is the best 3rd tall of all time. Played like a half forward, not a great mark but a good one, got half his goals on the run, half from out wide. Not his fault he was built like a key forward and they kept kicking it at him, like a key forward.

At his peak he took a heapof marks. Once his shoulders were ****ed things changed. But even at the Swans in the early years he was still taking heaps of marks playing key forward.

Not surprisingly his role has changed over the last 16 or 18 years. Even in 2013 when Clarko had a suspicion Buddy was leaving his role changed so we were less reliant on him. Doesnt mean he couldnt be a KPF any more.

Also, moving up field and then burning his plodder key defender opponent was just one tactic. Not the only tactic.

Malcolm Blight was 5:11 and kicked 100 goals in a season at full forward.

The last times the Pies had a gun third tall, who genuinely played as the third tall, was Leigh Brown. We now have Mihocek and Ash Johnson who are third tall types, but they often have to play as KPFs because we don't have two gorillas holding down CHF abd FF. Maybe they could play as third talls if we ever manage to get Nathan Krueger and Dan McStay on the ground at the same time.

Last edited:

At his peak he took a heapof marks. Once his shoulders were ****ed things changed. But even at the Swans in the early years he was still taking heaps of marks playing key forward.

Not surprisingly his role has changed over the last 16 or 18 years. Even in 2013 when Clarko had a suspicion Buddy was leaving his role changed so we were less reliant on him. Doesnt mean he couldnt be a KPF any more.

Also, moving up field and then burning his plodder key defender opponent was just one tactic. Not the only tactic.
Yes he took a lot of marks, especially on the lead, but not a great pack mark in the key forward style, Carey, Richo, Modra etc, shoulder or no shoulder. A bit of cheek in the suggestion, 1000+ goals suggests makes him a key forward, but still played a like a giant half forward, even if it was only for 16 of his 18 years!

You're right, hard role to define; for mine they have to be viable marking target, and kick goals (sounds obvious, but none of those defensive forward types).

Genuine third tall forwards are an endangered species in the modern game exactly because they don't provide forward pressure. They either become the second forward or go by the way side in most systems. The Gunston call above would be one of the rare exceptions in recent times.

Gary Rohan.

He's not been playing as a 3rd tall but then again neither has Brodie Mihochek

Tim Membery is only 188cm tall and would be a perfect 3rd tall.

Stats wise he kicks more goals per game than any of the blokes listed above over his career.

I think he gets underrated because he's never been played in a good team.

This year once King and Hammer are both back we might actually see him play as a 3rd tall in a good team.
And always plays his Grand Final against Carlton. Watch him kick 10 tomorrow

I've always interpreted it as a player that plays like an undersized key forward. 2017-2018 Josh Caddy was great at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston is the answer, the perfect foil for Franklin and Roughead (I guess he technically became second KPF when Buddy left).

Ollie Henry seems like the type who will kick 30-50 goals a year for the next decade, he might be a good candidate for this role moving forward.

I've always interpreted it as a player that plays like an undersized key forward. 2017-2018 Josh Caddy was great at it.

Although of course, he played most of that time as, in effect, the 2nd tall, and once Richmond got a genuine 2nd tall, he couldn't find a new role to play.

Hawks had crazy tall forward depth in 2012-20.

Buddy Franklin will go down as one of the greatest centre half forwards of all time.

Then when Buddy Franklin went to the swans after the 2013 grand final, hawks still had Roughead, Gunston and KPF ruck David hale.

Although of course, he played most of that time as, in effect, the 2nd tall, and once Richmond got a genuine 2nd tall, he couldn't find a new role to play.
Except the role he played as a wingman in his 2nd premiership. Testament to him for going back to the VFL to learn the wing position :thumbsu:

But yeah, he played as a psuedo key forward in 2017. Lost his spot when we got lynch in cos Dimma thought we couldn't play jack, lynch, Dusty and caddy in the same forward line.

Fritsch at present and over the last 2 years, and the 2nd best isn't even close.

Ryan Burton from Port looked promising to me on the weekend, has the right physique and awareness. Not as tall as a Dixon, Finlayson or Marshall, but can be thrown forward for teamsheet reasons. Dixon was out with injury and Marshall was subbed out with concussion. Not exactly a 3rd tall based on limited evidence and his usual position, would need more looks at him, but could see him being used like that if need be.

Noah Cumberland is averaging 2 goals a game over his short career and plays Fritsch-like.
I love Cumberland, he has real flair and creativity in the way he plays but he is not a 3rd tall - he's my height!

Fritta is the best for mine. Ollie Henry is a real chance to be considered in the discussion, he plays like a smaller, less athletic Charlie Curnow. Will Hayward is another option, though again he is only 6'1 - so where do we draw the line? I actually like Gary Rohan as a 3rd tall too, but I'd have to suggest that Ollie Henry is the true 3rd tall down at the Cattery.

I would rate atm

#1 Heeney
#2 Fritsch
#3 Gunston
#4 Mihochek
#5 Stringer
#6 Waterman
#7 Rohan
#8 Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back