Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Who de we rate as the best 3rd tall, I don’t know what to call it but a Bailey fritsch Issac Heeney Mitchell White Brodie Mihochek type player. Not a full forward not a chf but a marking option who could kick goals.

I remember guys like Brett Burton Ben Dixon Russel Robertson.

It's all open to interpretation isn't it. Steve Johnson is taller than Burton, Dixon and Robertson and took more marks than them but would you call him a 3rd tall? A bit shorter again but Brad Johnson is another one in a similar mould.

He's not been playing as a 3rd tall but then again neither has Brodie Mihochek

Tim Membery is only 188cm tall and would be a perfect 3rd tall.

Stats wise he kicks more goals per game than any of the blokes listed above over his career.

I think he gets underrated because he's never been played in a good team.

This year once King and Hammer are both back we might actually see him play as a 3rd tall in a good team.

Last edited:

It's all open to interpretation isn't it. Steve Johnson is taller than Burton, Dixon and Robertson and took more marks than them but would you call him a 3rd tall? A bit shorter again but Brad Johnson is another one in a similar mould.
Yes that’s why it’s hard to say, I think it’s a player usually that plays taller than he is so I’d give Brad the nod ahead of Steve, Steve loved to crumb and Brad lead and marked alot. I know what I’m thinking but hard to put into words haha.

I think at the moment Bayley Fritsch would have to be the leading candidate - having kicked 55+ goals in that role in both of the last 2 seasons (including an epic grand final performance).

Over their career, I think Jack Gunston takes the cake. 4 seasons of 50+ goals, another season top 3 in the Coleman, 5 x named in the AA squad (absolutely robbed a couple of times), handy in the backline and on the wing as well and a huge finals performer, including grand finals.

I think at the moment Bayley Fritsch would have to be the leading candidate - having kicked 55+ goals in that role in both of the last 2 seasons (including an epic grand final performance).

Over their career, I think Jack Gunston takes the cake. 4 seasons of 50+ goals, another season top 3 in the Coleman, 5 x named in the AA squad (absolutely robbed a couple of times), handy in the backline and on the wing as well and a huge finals performer, including grand finals.
Yes Gunston is a perfect example. Not a kpp but perfect for that role.

Who de we rate as the best 3rd tall, I don’t know what to call it but a Bailey fritsch Issac Heeney Mitchell White Brodie Mihochek type player. Not a full forward not a chf but a marking option who could kick goals.

I remember guys like Brett Burton Ben Dixon Russel Robertson.
Depends how you define a 3rd tall, is it just the teams 3rd best tall forward? Or the 3rd tallest forward?

E.g. if you have Eric Hipwood at 200cm, Tom Lynch at 197cm and Charlie Curnow at 191cm, who's the 3rd tall if they played together? Is it Curnow who's probably the best player of the lot but the 3rd tallest, or is it Hipwood who's actually the tallest but the 3rd best player of the 3?

Unless you mean who's the best tall/mid sized forward in the league? Or the best non-key forward in the league?

Jeremy Cameron is actually the best player in the league, and his natural position is arguably 3rd tall.

Depends how you define a 3rd tall, is it just the teams 3rd best tall forward? Or the 3rd tallest forward?

E.g. if you have Eric Hipwood at 200cm, Tom Lynch at 197cm and Charlie Curnow at 191cm, who's the 3rd tall if they played together? Is it Curnow who's probably the best player of the lot but the 3rd tallest, or is it Hipwood who's actually the tallest but the 3rd best player of the 3?

Unless you mean who's the best tall/mid sized forward in the league? Or the best non-key forward in the league?
beat me to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right, hard role to define; for mine they have to be viable marking target, and kick goals (sounds obvious, but none of those defensive forward types).

OP mentioned two of the current quintessential 3rd talls; Fritsch and Heeney. Rohan does a better job at Geelong than he is given credit for.

Historically there were greats like Richard Osborne, Brett Heady was a good one - Hawthorn always seemed to have a couple; Gary Buckenara, Ken Judge, Peter Curran, Tony Hall; all genuine class acts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back